Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

42 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Does McCormack even exist? He signed about 2 years ago and I don't think he has even been on the bench. Cassidy signed during the shut down then never played. I very much doubt either of them are still at the club.

Vajs was an utter waste of money and surely won't be kept. We don't 3 keepers never mind 4, pretty sure McGee was away too.

Only one of the unknowns I would be tempted to keep is Syvertsen but only if he is on buttons as he's far too injury prone.

Vajs wasn't entirely a waste of money. There were games where Mitchell was injured/covid and Wilson was also cup tied. McGee is nowhere near ready to play and I doubt he ever will.

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Feels liked we’ve signed more ‘squad players’ than nailed on starters so far which is a worry as some of these guys will no doubt end up being regular starters. 

I think Gomis is likely to be a nailed on starter in midfield, probably starting there with Cuddihy beside him as his legs.

I'd be concerned about the Docherty signing, especially if the plan is to play him in centre mid. Years are passing him by and although a nice passer if the ball he was so slow and got overrun all the time. I'll never forgive him for doing a panenka penalty in injury time against Arbroath on my birthday which would have won the game 2-1!!

The thought of Docherty in a midfield two or even in a three beside Gomis and Nicoll would put the fear in you right enough. The Hindenburg would get about the pitch quicker.

I think there's a good chance Docherty will be out on the left if he plays at all. We've begun by billing him as a defender on the website. Someone wrote that he hasn't been playing as a defender much in the recent past. Maybe that means we've different plans for him. And besides that, Lennon emphasised his delivery. This is guesswork obviously but I'm thinking it's an Eddie Malone sort of gig he has in mind for Docherty. A left-back or left wing-back who'll deliver from deep and help out with defending over on that side. We could make it work if we'd the numbers or the legs round about him I suppose.

The same would be true if he were to play in the middle. But with Nicoll, Gomis and potentially Cuddihy in the squad I think he'd be down the pecking order there.

Edited by Clydeside

On 28/05/2021 at 14:42, Steve Finan said:

Gents, please forgive the intrusion. I'm writing a book, a follow-up to Lifted Over The Turnstiles that came out in 2018.

I have some cracking old pix of Shawfield, but want to check terminology with your older members.
What was the long, curved "shed" called that stretched so far round behind the goal?
What did supporters call it?
Steve Finan.

If you're talking about the two ends behind the goals specifically, they didn't really have names.  There was the Tote Board end and the Brigton end

The original Shawfield Park had open terracing all the way round until it was redeveloped in 1936 having been bought over by the GRA (spearheaded by then Clyde chairman McMahon...that's a whole other story !), so the Tote Board was part of the redevelopment to accommodate the greyhound racing.

The shed was the area to the side of the pitch, most usually stood just to the left of the halfway line slightly towards the Tote Board.

At least that's what I'd tell you if I was old enough to remember..............😎

If indeed Wilson has turned down a deal, seems pretty likely he's off somewhere to get game time, wouldn't blame him if that's the case.

Let's be honest if Mitchell is fit he's 100% going to be playing.

Edited by macclyde+

Hearing from who? Did Howie pass it on at work?
You'll be pleased to hear that Craig Watson has signed for Airdrie.

Of other players mentioned on here Sean Crichton has joined Stenny and Liam Brown is staying at Edinburgh.

4 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

If you're talking about the two ends behind the goals specifically, they didn't really have names.  There was the Tote Board end and the Brigton end

The original Shawfield Park had open terracing all the way round until it was redeveloped in 1936 having been bought over by the GRA (spearheaded by then Clyde chairman McMahon...that's a whole other story !), so the Tote Board was part of the redevelopment to accommodate the greyhound racing.

The shed was the area to the side of the pitch, most usually stood just to the left of the halfway line slightly towards the Tote Board.

At least that's what I'd tell you if I was old enough to remember..............😎

I always enjoyed my visits to Shawfield as it was a very distinctive ground.  I recall the terracing as being very shallow, and you were quite set back from the pitch due to the dog track but you were very aware of being in a one-off stadium with a lot of history.

You mention the Brigton end; I recall the walk from the perimeter turnstiles there to the terracing as being quite a distance - would that be right ?

On 28/05/2021 at 14:42, Steve Finan said:

Gents, please forgive the intrusion. I'm writing a book, a follow-up to Lifted Over The Turnstiles that came out in 2018.

I have some cracking old pix of Shawfield, but want to check terminology with your older members.
What was the long, curved "shed" called that stretched so far round behind the goal?
What did supporters call it?
Steve Finan.

Don’t think they called it Steve Finan

14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I always enjoyed my visits to Shawfield as it was a very distinctive ground.  I recall the terracing as being very shallow, and you were quite set back from the pitch due to the dog track but you were very aware of being in a one-off stadium with a lot of history.

You mention the Brigton end; I recall the walk from the perimeter turnstiles there to the terracing as being quite a distance - would that be right ?

Shawfield was built with an overall exterior perimeter wall with the exception of the terracing that ran up the side of the pitch which acted as an extension of the perimeter.  So originally there were a few turnstiles.  By the final years, they were only open at the Brigton end.  What you're saying is basically correct, you came in off the street through the large entrance of the perimeter, walked through  black ash to the turnstiles.  When you got through them, they were set back just a little bit off the back wall of the terracing, but you're only talking a few steps.  

Hear a lot about feeling you were a long way from the pitch, but that's more perception than reality based on the view you had.  The terracing was quite shallow, but that was a result of the redevelopment.  Remembering that most grounds were oval shaped because that goes back to the origins of how teams started, playing on multi use recreation grounds that had a running track, so incorporated that at their own ground.   We're obviously not talking modern 8 lane tracks, just basically a narrower dirt track.  The original Shawfield had large embankments that went all the way down to the track which was right next to the pitch.

When they redeveloped it specifically for the greyhounds, my understanding is they cut into the bottom of the original terracing as they wanted more space between the track and the pitch.  As a result, the track is at a slightly higher level than the pitch which appears as "sunken", so it's a bit of an optical illusion.  It adds to the perception you're further away than you actually are, especially when you throw in the lights that ran round the track.  Almost guaranteed that wherever anyone sits in a modern stand these days you're further away from the pitch than you would have been on Shawfield's terracing.

Maybe that jogs a few memories for you

On Docherty, I definitely preferred him at centre mid, rather than left back. That was a a few years ago now so I'd assume he's even more suited to that sitting centre mid position now. He really seemed to split opinion of the East Fife fans. Some rated him, some didn't. Personally, I thought he was a good player for us.  I think a lot of folk couldn't take to him after he tried a Panenka and had it saved against Stenny (I think) when the score was 1-1 or something and we ended up drawing.