Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Think Gomis will be a good signing for you. Of the players that have played in both of the last 2 seasons he has probably been our best player along with Dixon. Needs legs around him but still more than capable at this level

I must've watched Docherty play before but I've no memory of him. I'm encouraged by his experience but concerned by the fact that he was part of a clear out of slow and aging players at Forfar not so long ago. The players that replaced him were poor and ultimately took Forfar down. Maybe there was an error of judgement from Stuart Malcolm there. Interestingly, in recent memory we've only had one player who was both a good left back and a good central midfielder. Scott Linton. He had enough natural fitness, technical ability and aggression about his game to be that versatile. I doubt Docherty comes with all of that. For that reason I hope we'll be using him as a left-back or a left wing-back. Not as a week on week utility player. We've had too many of those.

Gomis could be a coup if we put legs round about him. His fitness has waned a lot down the years. But then so had Rankin's. Gomis will give us some of Nicoll's combative qualities but with more finesse and a mind to move the ball quicker. Because you've got to imagine Gomis will be a starter, I could see us having a five man midfield. If it is, I hope it's a 3-5-2 with wingbacks. I'm worn out watching us play with one up or one up with another floating round about.

Early days still but pace is something we'll need to recruit a bit of. That's very clear.

As for heed the baw defenders and big target men. It wouldn't trouble me if we got a few of those. Provided we sourced some pace and kept up a balance of good passers and flair players we could end up with a very well balanced pool and not be slaves to one style.

Seems Docherty played more in central midfield than left back for Annan after the league restart in March. In and out the team too although that was probably down to the fixture schedule. Would seem a strange signing if it's for defensive midfield with us already having Gomis and Nicoll. 

17 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Seems Docherty played more in central midfield than left back for Annan after the league restart in March. In and out the team too although that was probably down to the fixture schedule. Would seem a strange signing if it's for defensive midfield with us already having Gomis and Nicoll. 

He was at his best at centre midfield for us too. He may well have improved his fitness but when he left us and joined Forfar he wasn't fit enough or fast enough to play full back. Seems a bit of a strange one for me, but he's a top guy who will give you everything. 

Gents, please forgive the intrusion. I'm writing a book, a follow-up to Lifted Over The Turnstiles that came out in 2018.

I have some cracking old pix of Shawfield, but want to check terminology with your older members.
What was the long, curved "shed" called that stretched so far round behind the goal?
What did supporters call it?
Steve Finan.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He was at his best at centre midfield for us too. He may well have improved his fitness but when he left us and joined Forfar he wasn't fit enough or fast enough to play full back. Seems a bit of a strange one for me, but he's a top guy who will give you everything. 

Didn’t he come to us at East Fife in between Dumbarton and Forfar for a couple of seasons but didn’t rate him at all. In fact I thought he was fortunate to pick up a gig at Forfar after us. Think he is lucky to be still around at this level.

16 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

Didn’t he come to us at East Fife in between Dumbarton and Forfar for a couple of seasons but didn’t rate him at all. In fact I thought he was fortunate to pick up a gig at Forfar after us. Think he is lucky to be still around at this level.

You're right it was East Fife. I didn't think we'd see him back at this level but he's a good guy so I wish him the best.

Docherty was hopeless at Forfar, all I seen him do was give the ball away and moan at his teammates. He was used in midfield. He did play one game at left back but his legs have gone and he never crossed the halfway line. 

27 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Docherty was hopeless at Forfar, all I seen him do was give the ball away and moan at his teammates. He was used in midfield. He did play one game at left back but his legs have gone and he never crossed the halfway line. 

So you wouldn't have him in the "marquee signing" category then?

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

Having a bit of time to reflect on the Docherty signing I’m actually a wee bit worried about it. It’s a bit typical of Danny’s time at Clyde, where he seems to like players with a certain attitude despite their ability and guys he “Trusts” . Him signing guys he’s worked with before even though they seem past their best is in the same vein as dishing out two year deals to Rumsby and McNiff etc when they clearly weren’t good enough and were not going to be.

I could be very very wrong about Docherty and will judge him after he plays but I’d rather get guys with ability who are p***ks than nice hard working guys who’s ability isn’t there or are out their depth. Obviously open to nice hard working guys who have the ability also.

Edited to add: To expand on what I mean about attitude etc. When he was on a state of mind Danny said he would rather coach a player who just wants to play anywhere than someone who e.g. is a winger but won’t play rb, then told an anecdote to that effect. In one hand I can see what he means, god knows we have had our fair share of guys who do not care and don’t show effort. However that attitude is how you end up with Grant at LB, Lang at RB, Ally Love at LB, McNiff at LB, Otoo at LM, Howie at RB, Howie at CM etc. When Howie left for Alloa I wondered if he had been getting played at CB and was given assurances he would be playing there would he be off? We won’t know but it’s good for thought. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

Does McCormack even exist? He signed about 2 years ago and I don't think he has even been on the bench. Cassidy signed during the shut down then never played. I very much doubt either of them are still at the club.

Vajs was an utter waste of money and surely won't be kept. We don't 3 keepers never mind 4, pretty sure McGee was away too.

Only one of the unknowns I would be tempted to keep is Syvertsen but only if he is on buttons as he's far too injury prone.