Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Think the majority of suggestions I agree with, obviously Goodie and Mitch for starters, then Cunningham, Cuddihy Howie,  Love.

Wilson will do fine as 2nd keeper. McNiff I would keep as back-up, not really let us down at CH, but would hope we would sign another experienced CB such as someone mentioned previously Ryan McGeever.

Would also consider Bain unless we can find better, would hope the last 2 games are more indicative of his game than what we have seen previously from him.

Obviously midfield is the biggest issue, hopefully DL and AM get the funds to help there. Also need another striker, and hopefully get Etoo and Jamieson back again, can't see them getting too much game time (if any) at their parent clubs, particularly Etoo.

Sad to say Rumsby just not good enough, even though his attitude and commitment can't be questioned. The rest can leave at any time. 

4 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Keep: Mitchell, Goodwille (both under contract anyway)

Try to keep: Howie, Cunningham,  Cuddihy

Keep if cheap: Wilson

Keep if fit: Syvertsen

Try to loan again: Jamieson, Otoo

Wouldn't completely object to keeping: McNiff, Love

Howie showed his quality at times again and should be a more than capable centreback in Legaue 1, with the right partner. Cunningham has been very patchy but definitely has quality and its easy to forget he's only 22 and should hopefully keep improving.

I'd be shocked if Danny didn't want to keep Cuddihy and I wouldn't really object. I think he found better form towards the end of the season and, both his energy and adaptability are great assets in any squad.

I'm sure plenty would let him go but I'd give Syvertsen one more chance on the provision that he is 100% fit before preseason training starts. There's not doubt he has talent but we cant have another season of him always being a couple of months short of being fit. After his time back in Norway, plus Covid affecting things, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided not to come back anyway.

I doubt we'll get Jamieson or Otoo back but I'd definitely be asking. Both will have benefitted hugely from first team football, a lot of games and having to scrap in a relegation battle. If we got Jamieson back for a season, that would lessen the need for Syvertsen. 

They're probably not quite good enough for League 1 but I wouldn't really object to keeping McNiff or Love as back ups if they're on low enough wages. It's an extremely difficult job to build a new squad starting with only 2 players. It only needs you to miss out on your first few targets, which is easily done at this level, before you start getting desperate. Love's attitude, drive and ability to chip in with goals is immense for a player of his ability. I suspect McNiff might be on too much money to make him a feasible squad player but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Absolute first priority has to be two central midfielders. As we've seen, a couple of good players in there can mask issues elsewhere in the team. Conversely, a weak central midfielder and any team is going to struggle.

I’d agree with the ones you’d keep other than McNiff. I just don’t think he’s good enough for this league, especially with the standard of teams that are going to be joining us next season.

I’d love to get Jamieson and O’too back. A front 3 of Jamieson, Cunningham and Goodie would be brilliant. Love is a good impact sub to have.

we do need to improve our full defence and centre mids to have any chance of competing in league one, though.

Falkirk Football Club can confirm that the following players will depart the Club upon expiry of their contracts for the 2020/21 season:

• Jay Cantley
  • Akeel Francis
  • Morgaro Gomis
  • Aidan Laverty
  • Robbie Leitch
  • Scott Mercer
  • Conor Sammon
  • Josh Todd

Few decent players just been released from Falkirk. Would take a few of them definetly

Edited by Jack Phillips

5 minutes ago, Jack Phillips said:

Falkirk Football Club can confirm that the following players will depart the Club upon expiry of their contracts for the 2020/21 season:

• Jay Cantley
  • Akeel Francis
  • Morgaro Gomis
  • Aidan Laverty
  • Robbie Leitch
  • Scott Mercer
  • Conor Sammon
  • Josh Todd

Few decent players just been released from Falkirk. Would take a few of them definetly

Probably all QP bound

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Think we must have been watching different a Rumsby.  If we look at individual errors that have cost us goals v FF  three games, Airdrie two games and Forfar yep,  Forfar 2 games. For a big guy he gets bullied too often and has very limited distribution ability.

Not so sure. Granted he'll have made mistakes, all players do.  A CB partnership takes a little time to develop an understanding.  First he was a 'foil' for Lang a couple seasons back, then was developing that with Howie.  Problem being it's chopped and changed a lot,  but I think over the piece he's done a decent job.  No afraid to put his head where it hurts, and you need that. 

But like any position if we can get better options then fine, but I wouldn't be so quick to show SR the door. 

I hope sentimentality is overcome when looking at who to retain.

I think we have to look for better than Love and Cuddihy.

Lamont, Nicol, Rumsby, McNiff Munro, Bain should all be thanked and shown the door.

Syvertsen should go too. Too injury prone.

Keep Cunningham, Howie Goodwillie and Mitchell.

Don't ask me who should come in. I've no idea. Although I do fancy the idea of a big evil b*****d up front with Goodwillie (although that's via my unrefined 70's football brain)

Really can't believe people are suggesting keeping Bain, Munro and Rumsby.

Bain was shite for the whole season bar a couple of ok performances at the end. Munro and Rumsby between them gave away so many stupid fouls in and around the box which led to the opposition scoring. Rumsby did play well in a number of games but he's a walking time bomb.

We've lucked out with the other teams in league 1 the past two seasons. Stranraer and Forfar were both really poor but they've now been replaced with Cove and a full time Queens Park.

We've went backwards since 18/19. The squad last season was worse than the promotion one and this seasons squad was worse than 19/20. Its going to be a much harder league next season and if we don't want to propping up the table then we can't be signing the likes of Bain or Munro.

Guest andyp1301
43 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I hope sentimentality is overcome when looking at who to retain.

I think we have to look for better than Love and Cuddihy.

Lamont, Nicol, Rumsby, McNiff Munro, Bain should all be thanked and shown the door.

Syvertsen should go too. Too injury prone.

Keep Cunningham, Howie Goodwillie and Mitchell.

Don't ask me who should come in. I've no idea. Although I do fancy the idea of a big evil b*****d up front with Goodwillie (although that's via my unrefined 70's football brain)

Sammon? Just released by Falkirk.....Grant back? I'd keep Love, Howie and Nicol (useful around the place and useful for certain matches) obvs Mitch and Goodie as they are under contract.........if we don't get better quality in we will repeat this season's struggle.

It's interesting that opinion is so divided on who to keep. Maybe we've lost sight of what good looks like having made do with so many limited players for so long. None of whom have given anything less than their best for us I hasten to add. But it's worth remembering that without David Goodwillie in our team there's a great chance we'd regard almost everyone in this year's squad, Lang and Mitchell aside, as a frustrating player at best and a straightforwardly bad one at worst. I exclude the loan players from that estimation. Jamieson and Otoo I'd have back in a heartbeat.

If we've a generous budget for next season I'd be holding onto Mitchell and Goodwillie. Love, Cuddihy, Lamont and Cunningham would be tolerable squad players, provided they keep trim and fit. But the relatively recent benchmarks of guys like McLaughlin, McQueen, Lithgow, Halkett and Gallagher makes it hard to want to hold onto any of our defenders. Even players like Mark Brown, who we took from the amateurs, I'd consider better than what we've had lately. Lang aside.

I'd like to see us recruit some tough, athletic players for the midfield and defence. Ideally ones with decent experience to their name. But beggars can't always be choosers. A big partner for Goodwillie would be good too.

Be an interesting summer.

My assessment on the squad for next year:

Goalkeeper - The one area where I'd argue we might be OK for next year. Mitchell is under contract and despite some brain farts, he's still a decent keeper at L1 level for me. Wilson, although a bit wee, showed enough for me for him to return as a cheap back-up and reckon he'd be happy to do so.

Defence - Lots of work to be done, you just need to see our defensive record this season to know that. I agree that Howie is a talent and should be returned but I think he should be the weaker of our two central defenders next season. We need a Lang-style CB next to him, that's defo an area we should push the boat out if we can. McNiff can return as a safety blanket if we struggle to get names in, but he should be no more than a solid and reliable back-up next season for 5-10 games or so. Full back is another area we need work on, look to get Otoo (although the Celtic Colts stuff could put paid to that) but none of the rest for me, especially if we retain Cuddihy for midfield. I reckon the shopping list is at least two CBs and three full-backs, maybe even more.

Midfield - The other area that needs to be stressed in the off-season. Cuddihy did enough for me to offered a place in the squad, especially with Lennon's familiarity with him, plus he can cover RB at a pinch. I'd actually keep Lamont because I like him as a good option off the bench and is good for a big goal now and then, but I appreciate I'm probably in the minority with that one. McGlinchey was someone I had high hopes for and might be another one we could look to keep for that holding midfield role that we desperately need, but I'd like to hope we could maybe go and get better. We need a couple of quality operators in there - preferably with some experience of L1 level - because that allows us to get our attacking players on the pitch. Grant would be excellent obviously and even a player like Wedderburn at Dumbarton wouldn't be too bad. He's far from the quickest but he moves the ball and has a bit of power.

Forwards - This is where we're best currently I'd say. DGW obviously, but Cunningham should be a priority especially given how young he is (didn't actually realise that). I would keep Love as an impact sub because he comes up in big moments and he gives everything for the club which genuinely can't be underestimated. I'd love to get Jamieson back but reckon that's probably a fantasy. Worth an ask tho. I love big Syvertsen to bits and think he's a fine player but it's tough to justify with his injury record. We need another prolific option with DGW so goals don't fall off a cliff if he's injured and I'd be emphasising pace in forward areas - look at the best attacking players in this league and that's what they've got in common for the most part. The McLean at Montrose shout from earlier isn't the worst one either - a player like that would be a point of difference in our squad.

Here ends the lengthy diatribe 😂😂

The key thing for me, is whether DL will have enough money to put together a squad which will play in the manner that I think he wants them to. That is, a team that will be able to out-run and out-pass the other sides in the league. That's not going to be easy at all against multiple full-time teams and sides who are starting off from a better base in East Fife/Montrose. If he has to go in a different direction then I think we'll be in trouble.

Some discussion points/opinions:

1. We might have a clean slate and therefore plenty of budget free to assign where we want, but I don't think we'll find three centre halves to go with Howie. We can, by all means, try, but I think there's always a chronic shortage of the type of player we would want. Given that there's not a single reason to retain Rumsby and Lang is away, I'd probably keep McNiff, who hasn't been poor at all as a centre half. I'd be wary of signing Dumbarton centre halves who won't have a Duffyball side protecting them in all directions.

2. Lamont has been completely anonymous this season. However, how much of that is down to us having a midfield which has left us resorting to aimless punts for Goodwillie to chase? I'd probably let him go, but I think he's the player that's been most affected by us losing Grant/McStay.

3. Without knowing wages and personal circumstances, it's hard to make judgements on the majority of players. Syvertsen is clearly a good player; is it worth the gamble on his injury record if he's earning pennies? Your squad will always have a wee bit of filler to give you a substitutes bench/training depth, the challenge is making sure you aren't bringing in Declan Fitzpatrick/Liam Allison who weren't even League 2 players. That's maybe where a Lloyd Robertson or Marky Munro gets kept on against everyone's opinion. 

4. Ally Love. It's easy to list all the crucial contributions he's made. I would have bet my entire bank account that he'd score on Thursday, or against Thistle. I wouldn't have bet a single penny that he'd score in just about any other match. How many of those memorable contributions does he need to make to negate the fact that he offers nothing but hard work in a majority of games? As a fan, I want a better player, but as a manager, you probably take into account influence in the changing room. A tough one, which I don't know the answer to.

There's some massive decisions to be taken in the transfer market. I'd be lying if I said I was confident, given the evidence of numerous transfer windows so far. The summer where we signed Smith, Wallace and Johnston, without any idea how they'd fit in the team, terrifies me. A repeat of that standard of acquisition and we'll be an absolute embarrassment. I'm hoping we'll do a lot better than some of the suggestions on this thread.

It’s really interesting to see the range of players we would like to retain or indeed sign from “available” players.

I agree with David W that we have almost a clean slate so of course it comes down to budget. It will be the age old dilemma of signing a number of quality players and small squad or larger squad were at least 6 of them are not actually good enough for L1. I can see why this year teams went for larger numbers but huge gamble as we know only to well!

I also agree that despite obviously being a great coach at this level Danny has had many suspect recruitment decisions.. big worry for me.

Personally I would other than the contracted David Goodwillie (thank God!) and Mitchell is only try to keep Cuddihy, McNiff and Wilson.. Howie at a push, I know he gives some decent performances at times but I’m not convinced and of course is injured fairly often,I get the recent one was different. Possible give Cunningham another season

Clean slate use the opportunity Danny, no room for loyalty this time around.. big job ahead

Edited by FREDDYFRY

50 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I don't understand the desire to keep Lamont. Even with a dreadful midfield this season he struggled to be selected for the starting 11.

To be honest, I wouldn't have re-signed him last season

I’d agree with this, too. He’s a good league 2 player. An average squad player for league 1 at best.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Guest andyp1301
16 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Sammon? I'd rather have John Gemmell

You played against him? and no, I haven't  either, but heard he is very hard to handle....Goodie would so feed off him.