Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

4 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

What’s the deal with outstanding balances? I was under the impression that it simply rolled over to next season, but the commentators seemed to suggest otherwise...

I agree with this, the balance is carried forward and can be topped up as required. There are likely fans with a season ticket who have not done PPV so will still have the full amount. Note you can donate your balance to the club if you so wish.

Edited by chas

9 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

What’s the deal with outstanding balances? I was under the impression that it simply rolled over to next season, but the commentators seemed to suggest otherwise...

You can spend it in the online shop, donate it to the club, or carry it over. Obviously the club would like people to use it up where possible and put more money in for next year, but not everyone will be in a position to do that and no one is going to argue it's offered value for money this year.

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, Garrowhillclyde said:

Proof?

Work it out, I did...and a former chairman who agrees with me....he posted same on OF

Guest andyp1301
8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Surely even Man City have "limited funds"? As in not infinite.

Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan is worth 22 billion US$ alone so that's a skewed comparison.... but if we are getting picky - it wasn't me who said "limited funds" - I'll change to - we have never had more money in the bank at this stage of the season than for a very long time, if ever. We have never be starting a new season with this type of money  - being able to go out immediately and start building a squad....usually it will be a wait and see how the season ticket sales go.......if the Board do not give Danny a decent budget we are going to struggle again, when we could be challenging.

Guest andyp1301
8 hours ago, sydney said:

No need to shout.
Regardless of what’s in the bank, any business needs to balance its expenditure with its income to, at the very least, break even. We know we are not in a good place in this regard given our lack of fan base, lack of opportunity to make match day income and our rental on the stadium. 
Even if we have loads of cash in the bank, a business model (as it is a business) that relies on continually plundering its reserves is doomed to failure. We’ve been there before and it was an experience that I wouldn’t like to see repeated. 

Apologies - I am just so frustrated at the trust being shown in the Board narrative - poor us. we're skint. Reserves? we have never had reserves...that is the point....hand to mouth season on season....I'm not advocating blowing the lot....but an improvement playing budget is absolutely possible.

So now that the bin fire that was season 20/21 is over and we're confirmed to be in League 1 - who do we want to keep on, release and potentially move to sign? Tough league again next season with QP, Falkirk and Morton or Cove

Of the loanees, I'd love to keep Otoo on as he's been very good in a position we've had trouble filling since Scott Linton was moved up the park.

In terms of specific signings, I'd absolutely love to go for Morgyn Neill and Ryan McGeever from Dumbarton. Another striker is essential and Mark McGuigan could be a good option to play up with Goodwillie - wouldn't start for me but would be great to have in the squad if the need for 2 up arises.  We also need a whole centre midfield deck, potentially four players - I'd love to sign Callum Tapping from Stenhousemuir although that's his hometown club and he's now captain so unlikely. PJ Crossan at Dumbarton is a player I've always liked and with them dropping down I think he'd be a great creative option for us.

Anyway enough fantasy football from me, sorry.

Keep: Mitchell, Goodwille (both under contract anyway)

Try to keep: Howie, Cunningham,  Cuddihy

Keep if cheap: Wilson

Keep if fit: Syvertsen

Try to loan again: Jamieson, Otoo

Wouldn't completely object to keeping: McNiff, Love

Howie showed his quality at times again and should be a more than capable centreback in Legaue 1, with the right partner. Cunningham has been very patchy but definitely has quality and its easy to forget he's only 22 and should hopefully keep improving.

I'd be shocked if Danny didn't want to keep Cuddihy and I wouldn't really object. I think he found better form towards the end of the season and, both his energy and adaptability are great assets in any squad.

I'm sure plenty would let him go but I'd give Syvertsen one more chance on the provision that he is 100% fit before preseason training starts. There's not doubt he has talent but we cant have another season of him always being a couple of months short of being fit. After his time back in Norway, plus Covid affecting things, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided not to come back anyway.

I doubt we'll get Jamieson or Otoo back but I'd definitely be asking. Both will have benefitted hugely from first team football, a lot of games and having to scrap in a relegation battle. If we got Jamieson back for a season, that would lessen the need for Syvertsen. 

They're probably not quite good enough for League 1 but I wouldn't really object to keeping McNiff or Love as back ups if they're on low enough wages. It's an extremely difficult job to build a new squad starting with only 2 players. It only needs you to miss out on your first few targets, which is easily done at this level, before you start getting desperate. Love's attitude, drive and ability to chip in with goals is immense for a player of his ability. I suspect McNiff might be on too much money to make him a feasible squad player but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Absolute first priority has to be two central midfielders. As we've seen, a couple of good players in there can mask issues elsewhere in the team. Conversely, a weak central midfielder and any team is going to struggle.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Would agree with the above apart from McNiff. He had a great season in the promotion year when we played him high up the pitch but we just can't do that in league 1.

First thing I would be doing is sounding out Ray Grant to see if he fancies returning. He's out of contract and his dad is leaving Alloa too.

6 hours ago, andyp1301 said:

Apologies - I am just so frustrated at the trust being shown in the Board narrative - poor us. we're skint. Reserves? we have never had reserves...that is the point....hand to mouth season on season....I'm not advocating blowing the lot....but an improvement playing budget is absolutely possible.

No need to apologise. 
I understand your point about improving the playing budget and I do agree that we should seek to do this. It’s a balance. Keep the current budget, risk relegation and the financial loss of that. Or look to invest more in the squad than might be comfortable and retain League 1 football and perhaps challenge for a play off spot with resultant better income. 
As a supporter, I know what option I’d prefer. 

29 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Keep: Mitchell, Goodwille (both under contract anyway)

Try to keep: Howie, Cunningham,  Cuddihy

Keep if cheap: Wilson

Keep if fit: Syvertsen

Try to loan again: Jamieson, Otoo

Wouldn't completely object to keeping: McNiff, Love

Howie showed his quality at times again and should be a more than capable centreback in Legaue 1, with the right partner. Cunningham has been very patchy but definitely has quality and its easy to forget he's only 22 and should hopefully keep improving.

I'd be shocked if Danny didn't want to keep Cuddihy and I wouldn't really object. I think he found better form towards the end of the season and, both his energy and adaptability are great assets in any squad.

I'm sure plenty would let him go but I'd give Syvertsen one more chance on the provision that he is 100% fit before preseason training starts. There's not doubt he has talent but we cant have another season of him always being a couple of months short of being fit. After his time back in Norway, plus Covid affecting things, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided not to come back anyway.

I doubt we'll get Jamieson or Otoo back but I'd definitely be asking. Both will have benefitted hugely from first team football, a lot of games and having to scrap in a relegation battle. If we got Jamieson back for a season, that would lessen the need for Syvertsen. 

They're probably not quite good enough for League 1 but I wouldn't really object to keeping McNiff or Love as back ups if they're on low enough wages. It's an extremely difficult job to build a new squad starting with only 2 players. It only needs you to miss out on your first few targets, which is easily done at this level, before you start getting desperate. Love's attitude, drive and ability to chip in with goals is immense for a player of his ability. I suspect McNiff might be on too much money to make him a feasible squad player but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Absolute first priority has to be two central midfielders. As we've seen, a couple of good players in there can mask issues elsewhere in the team. Conversely, a weak central midfielder and any team is going to struggle.

I’d agree with this, mcniff is a decent enough backup if we can keep him in league 1 but not a regular for me. 

I think when Cunningham has played better when in his more natural position. 

We need 2 solid centre midfielders though, a large part of our problems this year came from being too soft in that area. 

Not sure about an entire root & branch clear out but there's some areas need prioritized.  First of all assume all loanees return to their clubs.  In defence I still think the Rumsby / Howie partnership has done well, but we need another good option as further back up.  The left back position needs addressing and has done for a long time.  Midfield, need 2 or 3 good quality additions, but the lads who played there last night are still very useful over a season IMHO.  

Up front, Cunningham and Goody will score goals, but again need at least one further quality option to have.   So it's maybe more a case of replacing the majority of the loanees with quality signings in the right positions, and perhaps a couple of loanees to complete it.  I'd certainly take Jamieson and Otoo back, just depends on their parent clubs.

So I agree it might be time to say thanks & good luck to a limited number, but a lot of our squad aren't signed on fully anyway, and a decent amount still have a fair bit to offer if they get the right kind of "additionals" around them.

33 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Not sure about an entire root & branch clear out but there's some areas need prioritized.  First of all assume all loanees return to their clubs.  In defence I still think the Rumsby / Howie partnership has done well...  

Up front, Cunningham and Goody will score goals, but again need at least one further quality option to have....I'd certainly take Jamieson and Otoo back, just depends on their parent clubs.

So I agree it might be time to say thanks & good luck to a limited number, but a lot of our squad aren't signed on fully anyway, and a decent amount still have a fair bit to offer if they get the right kind of "additionals" around them.

Think we must have been watching different a Rumsby.  If we look at individual errors that have cost us goals v FF  three games, Airdrie two games and Forfar yep,  Forfar 2 games. For a big guy he gets bullied too often and has very limited distribution ability. 

Cunningham feeds on confidence and that was scarce in this squad.  

Jamieson has developed well and is probably ripe to be blooded at St Mirren.  Otoo is at best 3rd if not 4th choice at Parkhead.  I would welcome home as he made very few mistakes at the back and is useful going forward.  Should try to keep Wilson as GK.

As other say NEED A LB. 

NEED 2 CB's

NEED 2 MIDFIELDERS. (minimum)

NEED A PARTNER FOR DGW

Goodwillie 
Mitchell 
Cuddihy 
Cunningham (undecided, think he has something but needs to be more consistent and work on an end product)
Wilson 

Otoo and Jamieson back on loan if possible 

I think Love and McNiff might be offered a deal which I’m ok with as squad players as long as we can get better quality in as regular starters. 

Norway, Love, Wilson, Cunningham, Cuddihy and Howie possibly McNiff is he is on a cheap enough wage for a squad player plus Goodie and Mitch would give us 8/9 players which is a good start plus if we can get Otoo and Jamieson back on loan means we aren't looking to sign a massive amount of players like we'd have to if we only had 2. We certainly should be asking the question to Ray Grant (although was Dad is linked with the Falkirk job) but we do need a new midfield but that depends on what we can afford. I'd love to see us after Thomas Reilly from Kelty always thought he could play higher than league 2 Russell McLean is another one again probably out of our budget.

1 hour ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Thomas Reilly from Kelty always thought he could play higher than league 2 Russell McLean is another one again probably out of our budget.

Would absolutely love Thomas Reilly at Clyde but he's surely on a very decent wage to have a) went to Fife in the first place and b) stayed there for several seasons. I think it's fairly inevitable that Kelty will get promoted too.

Russell McLean I'd like also, and you'd think being a Falkirk boy he would fancy playing closer to home rather than trecking about Angus.