Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Banks was one player who added something different to an established group of players. He started five games. He was carried in a few of his matches, which is understandable given his age. It was a gamble that paid off spectacularly in the playoff final but it's in no way comparable to this squad we now have.

To use our final loan slot on another kid is inexcusable. He might be absolutely brilliant, but then that means the other loans were silly. He seems to be a defender primarily from the clips I can find on YouTube.

Are there any players out of contract who we can still pick up?

7 minutes ago, David W said:

To use our final loan slot on another kid is inexcusable. He might be absolutely brilliant, but then that means the other loans were silly. He seems to be a defender primarily from the clips I can find on YouTube.

Are there any players out of contract who we can still pick up?

To be fair you can’t say that based on the east fife game . 

make no mistake this will be the making or breaking of out season , and it will hang at the managers door .

but we can’t all play football manager or football director - we need to trust those that supposedly know what their doing .

Something has gone badly wrong here. We now got 10 players out of squad of 26 with no first team experience. It's 11 if you count Munro who has only played a handful of games for Stenny.

The only time it worked was the year Roberts was in charge with all the young players coming from different clubs. Almost all of them this time are from Rangers or St Mirren.

I am interested in how much you think stadium and pitch maintenance would cost if we owned our own place? 
No idea.

Although I doubt we'd be paying the same as we do for a 8000 seated stadium.
We would also be able to retain all stadium related income.

It's all theoretical anyway. We are where we are. No new stadium is on the horizon or is likely to be.

However, Broadwood is a huge drain on our resources and severely limits our income. That puts a ceiling on our potential attainment.

Multiple untried colts being a large percentage of our team is an indication of this.

17 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Something has gone badly wrong here. We now got 10 players out of squad of 26 with no first team experience. It's 11 if you count Munro who has only played a handful of games for Stenny.

The only time it worked was the year Roberts was in charge with all the young players coming from different clubs. Almost all of them this time are from Rangers or St Mirren.

Can see your point . Although would argue a fit and available first 11 has sufficient experience .

Could also argue IMO the mistakes of keeping Love, Lamont, Cuddihy, Mcniff and Rumbsby and not replacing with upgrades again goes back to the recruitment and retention at the time .

Of course Covid and dodgy behind the scenes will not have helped 

Guest andyp1301
2 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

To be fair you can’t say that based on the east fife game . 

make no mistake this will be the making or breaking of out season , and it will hang at the managers door .

but we can’t all play football manager or football director - we need to trust those that supposedly know what their doing .

"our" and "they're".......just getting you back  for "cub".

You seem to be ready to hang the manager for calling on his contacts to fill a squad on what looks like to be no budget. What else can he do? No budget means no ability to bring in players either on loan with decent experience as we'd have to cover a portion of wages or out of contract players who would need paying.

Danny is being hung out to dry here and I wonder if the strategy is to lose his wage and allow GD and PJ to step in?

No idea.

Although I doubt we'd be paying the same as we do for a 8000 seated stadium.
We would also be able to retain all stadium related income.

It's all theoretical anyway. We are where we are. No new stadium is on the horizon or is likely to be.

However, Broadwood is a huge drain on our resources and severely limits our income. That puts a ceiling on our potential attainment.

Multiple untried colts being a large percentage of our team is an indication of this.
I'm struggling to see how Broadwood is a huge drain on our resources. We are only paying the £40k rent per year? As far as I'm aware anything else is paid by the council?

We had the chance of making income from the Arrira lounge but we've made an utter mess of that.

We've also benefited from having a full house against Celtic and even the 2,000 we had for the Falkirk games and the playoff game would have been reduced by having our own smaller ground.

I'm struggling to see how Broadwood is a huge drain on our resources. We are only paying the £40k rent per year? As far as I'm aware anything else is paid by the council?

We had the chance of making income from the Arrira lounge but we've made an utter mess of that.

We've also benefited from having a full house against Celtic and even the 2,000 we had for the Falkirk games and the playoff game would have been reduced by having our own smaller ground.
I think £40,000 is a lot but I've no idea how much a ground similar to Forthbank with a plastic pitch would cost to maintain? I'd be interested to know.

You have to also take into account the lack of income from non match days. Owning our own ground would give opportunity for 7 day a week income.

Also Clyde owned stadium would be an asset allowing secured borrowing if required.

I do understand us owning a stadium is not going to happen.

The stadium discussion has been done to death so I don't want to bore folk all over again going over old ground. (Although I've just done it)

We're at Broadwood and there we'll be staying. Unfortunately that means we'll be a lower League 1/ League 2 team for many years to come.

Saw this on Celtic Reddit posted a couple of months ago

"I watched the Development Squad game the other month against Partick Thistle. Ewan Otoo ran the show and is very much in the mould of Soro. Good tackler, physical presence in the middle of the park and has great vision and passing technique. "

To build our own ground now would require a level of borrowing that is undoubtably some way beyond us, given the whole "no assets" thing. Even if we did have our own, the main fresh revenue stream we would have available to us would be pitch rental - though net profit from that would mostly just raise funds towards replacing it 7-8 years down the line, unless we got massive grants to lay one. 40k a year at Broadwood with the potential for big attendance windfalls and minus the liabilities of upkeep/repairs/insurance/staffing costs is a good deal for us, and I really doubt we are much worse off overall than we would be if someone gifted us a brand new stadium tomorrow.

One of the main issues at the club is that successive boards continue to be strung along and conned by shysters, rather than being able to come up with a coherent plan to achieve consistent growth and mid-term financial security. Bobby Gracey, Norrie Innes, others who know who they are - several have taken, with boardroom facilitation, the club for a complete ride and left us two steps back and reeling from it afterwards. Mr. Innes' insufferable jargon really ought to have been a sufficient red flag before he was parachuted in, for starters. If we have to take a relegation to get back on an even keel then so be it, but I really doubt we would be coming back up at any point soon unless there were big changes.

One of those changes would have to be in the player recruitment field - for all Danny Lennon's strengths as a manager, this is clearly not one of his. Over the last year and a half our recruitment has been utterly diabolical; for a guy who talks with so much optimism about where he wants the club to be, it just isn't good enough. So many lazy and/or Hail Mary signings (and retentions) that it beggars belief. There has been no clear improvement in this regard, even with the appointment of two staff members dedicated to improving affairs. I honestly think I could do a markedly better job of identifying players who are gettable and would do well for us!

2 hours ago, andyp1301 said:

"our" and "they're".......just getting you back  for "cub".

You seem to be ready to hang the manager for calling on his contacts to fill a squad on what looks like to be no budget. What else can he do? No budget means no ability to bring in players either on loan with decent experience as we'd have to cover a portion of wages or out of contract players who would need paying.

Danny is being hung out to dry here and I wonder if the strategy is to lose his wage and allow GD and PJ to step in?

Danny has been in place long enough and has done a decent job, so not sure about his "being hung out to dry"  

If the new chap is a wonder kid, hooray. If we are still struggling and Danny has not kicked in some doors on getting a proper left back, that is his failure.  We limped through last season without a left back and to have started and restarted this season with the same deficit is either denial or delusional.

I cannot believe we haven’t signed a left back. We looked so, so much better last season after signing Adam Livingstone. Signing Shiels on loan, whilst not a great move, was at least a step in the right direction in terms of having an actual speciality left back.

Paddy Boyle would have been a perfect fit. An experienced head, knows the league, and a left back. The fact that we haven’t bust a gut trying to get someone like that in is crazy.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Seems Otoo is a left back. Or at least playing there tonight :lol:  No Lang either. 

Mitchell
Bain Howie Rumsby Otoo 
Cuddihy Nicoll 
Cunningham Lamont Love 
Goodwillie 

Vajs, Munro, McNiff, Robertson, Thomson, Jack, Jamieson

I remember the last time we were up there, one of the linesmen didn't even bother giving offside decisions. It was like watching a school game.

Very easy so far, should be further ahead.