Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

We're obviously shipping too many goals & making it far too easy for the opposition.  At least at this stage due to the nature of the league it's not left us adrift at the bottom of the league but it needs nipped in the bud now, so maybe time to go 3 at the back, Lang, Howie & Rumsby.  Bain & Shiels the two FB's with the centre midfield something like Lamont, Palmer & Cuddihy, leave two up to occupy their defence.    I don't think Danny's keen on the 3-5-2 but he needs to get back to basics a little bit, tighten it up.  That would likely make us a little bit more solid and potentially get an extra body into midfield that's been a problem area.

He's right in saying we need more consistency but that starts by being harder to beat.  I think he's using a system to try & accommodate certain players but needs to be pragmatic.  Ideally I'd like Goodie, Norway, Cunningham and Love in the same team for the goals, but you'd need a solid back 4 and two commanding CM's for that.  We'd still have good options off the bench, I'd add Johnson to that who can cause defences a lot of problems last 20 minutes or so, but at least we'd have something to build on in a game, increase confidence a bit which must be taking a hit. 

Still think we've a decent squad for this level but he needs to get the balance right, and he's changing the line up pretty much every week....and that's also including the fact that one minute a player's playing, the next not even in the squad, though maybe there's injuries or whatever that weren't mentioned in the pre-match.

AFAIK we don't have the resources to make huge changes in January so you have to make the best of what you've got, which as I say I think's decent, just need to get the best formation out of it.   Just draw a line under the season so far, set small initial targets, don't lose the next 5 games, build from there.  They've got the quality to do it imho.

Agree we absolutely need to aim to keep a clean sheet and be difficult to beat.  Once that starts happening the rest usually follows but we can’t keep doing to what we’re doing.  DG is as likely to score on the break than when we’re on top.

Even when we win. We still lose 2 goals or more lately in defeat..

Realise club future is important and i get it to a point but would it not be worth the risk in L1 than a bigger risk trying to get back out L2 or stay in it..

Huge January for us & perhaps one or two might be moved on to free up wages..

Yer Mithers Pride[emoji1267]

Calling all Clyde fans! You're in charge of bodying players out of the club and freeing up wages going into January. Esteemed head of recruitment, Graham Diamond, has told you that 3 players must go. Let me kick things off:

• Scott Rumsby - just not good enough. A solid player in League Two and a man who will be fondly remembered for his important contribution to our promotion. His two-year extension was awful business, based purely on sentiment rather than any logic.
  • Chris Johnston - 'Frodo' has shown in flashes the talent which had us all thinking he would be a marvellous signing for us. A complete lack of end product and rank inconsistency throughout his time here mean, though, that he will best be remembered as a Clyde fraud.
  • Lloyd Robertson - Danny Lennon took a leaf out of The Great Big Jim Duffy Released Youth Prospect Signing Tombola Handbook this summer with this desperate addition. A very beige young footballer who plays in our weakest areas, but can't get a start. That says it all.

Who would you unceremoniously release into the wilderness of League Two or non-league football come January, and why?

5 hours ago, WBR said:

Agree we absolutely need to aim to keep a clean sheet and be difficult to beat.  Once that starts happening the rest usually follows but we can’t keep doing to what we’re doing.  DG is as likely to score on the break than when we’re on top.

IIRC in Kernaghan's first full season we got off to a ropey start. He went back to basics, shut up shop, ground out results that built a bit of confidence and developed from there. In fact Danny did something similar when he first came in

I like DL's philosophy on the game so I know it goes against the grain, but needs must and in this league can make a big difference and quickly.  With the squad we have I'm sure it's well within their capability but now's the time to adapt. 

Mitchell had an absolute nightmare yesterday. He's been a great keeper for us so far and hopefully he gets back to his usual self for the next game.

Rumsby has been a bombscare all season and its all the more frustrating as it is the one area were we do have a couple of options. Either Howie or McNiff should be starting alongside Lang.

We've been conceding the same goals all season either from set pieces or at the edge of the box due to not closing down or clearing the ball quick enough. I don't think changing the formation is going to change that. Need to concentrate on it at training.

11 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Mitchell had an absolute nightmare yesterday. He's been a great keeper for us so far and hopefully he gets back to his usual self for the next game.

Rumsby has been a bombscare all season and its all the more frustrating as it is the one area were we do have a couple of options. Either Howie or McNiff should be starting alongside Lang.

We've been conceding the same goals all season either from set pieces or at the edge of the box due to not closing down or clearing the ball quick enough. I don't think changing the formation is going to change that. Need to concentrate on it at training.

Agreed, but hardly great choices due to fact Tom Lang has been utter torture for weeks too. Although I’m not sure I’m allowed to say that🤐

We can't really afford to be wasting money in diamond and that Corr geezer but it's ashame to see the board doesn't feel that way. If we don't shift the deadwood in the transfer window and bring in some serious upgrades we're back down to the basement league.

43 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

We can't really afford to be wasting money in diamond and that Corr geezer but it's ashame to see the board doesn't feel that way. If we don't shift the deadwood in the transfer window and bring in some serious upgrades we're back down to the basement league.

In theory that's fine, but there's the practical side of it.  First of all, who would we be looking to ship out, and of those who would be willing to rip up their contract especially in these times with Covid, unless they'd another club lined up ?  Secondly, if we did manage to free up wages, who would be available that would improve what we have, because presumably they'd be free transfers ?  Or is the idea that that Diamond & Corr would be able to secure better youth players from SPFL sides than they've done already ?  I really don't know much about those two and what they do, that's why I'm asking.

My suggestion on formation was based on what we know for a fact we have and I don't remember being tried.  It might not work either, but that's different from saying maybe we can ship out x, y & z, and maybe we can find replacements. Certainly with Diamond & Corr, if they're being paid a wage it'll be for a specific remit, and if they're not achieving that then it would be one way to free up wages.  But I don't know what their remit is.  Seems to be they have a background in youth football, but can only imagine that would be worthwhile if we're looking to build a long term youth set up which as far as I know isn't part of the plan.

In regards to GD i think a LOT of people are missing the hint here...

We obviously dont have a network of scouts and a DL has signed a lot of guff (Wallace.Smith.Johnston.Petkov.
Gorman.Ferns.Wylde.Allison to name just a few)

I would hazard a guess this is Dannys achilies heel which club perhaps aware and this is the reason we brought in GD who ive been informed from a friend within the football circle that he is a fantastic appointment-Not my words..

However time for Action not words come 1st Jan

Ymp [emoji1267]

18 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

In regards to GD i think a LOT of people are missing the hint here...

We obviously dont have a network of scouts and a DL has signed a lot of guff (Wallace.Smith.Johnston.Petkov.
Gorman.Ferns.Wylde.Allison to name just a few)

I would hazard a guess this is Dannys achilies heel which club perhaps aware and this is the reason we brought in GD who ive been informed from a friend within the football circle that he is a fantastic appointment-Not my words..

However time for Action not words come 1st Jan

Ymp emoji1267.png

It's just classic football fan; we sign a lot of rubbish, people moan. We bring in a structure designed to potentially remedy that (and it will take a period of time to implement) and it's money we should be using to sign more rubbish players.

3 hours ago, David W said:

It's just classic football fan; we sign a lot of rubbish, people moan. We bring in a structure designed to potentially remedy that (and it will take a period of time to implement) and it's money we should be using to sign more rubbish players.

OK, so is their role to source quality young players over a longer period with a view to developing a youth structure, or are they an enhanced scouting network to source a better standard of player ready to step into the first team over whatever period of time ?  If it's the latter, will we have the budget to offer a better standard of player than we already have ?  I don't mind the longer term angle, but presumably the club themselves will also have to grow their income streams to match that ambition.

No point developing a youth structure.

It's expensive and any players showing exceptional quality in our youths will be scooped up by higher league teams for their footballing puppy farms.

We'd be better looking for the cast off from these academys.

That's why I thought Diamond was brought in.

I'm not impressed so far.