Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

33 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Again it’s back to trying someone in the middle of the park who might help! Howie is a defender, Lang is a defender... unfortunately Cuddihy is not a good enough midfielder to do the job himself (might be ok if he had a decent central partner. Who knows?) 

What we need is an actual central midfield player who knows:

When to defend,

When you support attack,

When to make a pass either short or long

When to put his foot in etc etc etc.

As I say a midfield player, not a defender or any other player who is essentially out of position. I realise that given our financial situation it’s an almost impossible task but it’s what we need simple as that.

Agreed and is basically what I said, and a long way from suggesting we've got largely a L2 squad

Either he's got that in the pool, think he had that earmarked for the most recent signing whose injured, or he doesnt

If it's the latter he'll just need to go back to basics and find a way to first and foremost be hard to beat, scrap for every point, and build up some confidence until we get to January when we could possibly get someone in subject to availability / funds available.

Still wasn't long ago we stuck 3 past Dumbarton and but for their keeper could have had more against Thistle.  So a very poor week aye, but it doesn't mean major surgery's needed 

36 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Again it’s back to trying someone in the middle of the park who might help! Howie is a defender, Lang is a defender... unfortunately Cuddihy is not a good enough midfielder to do the job himself (might be ok if he had a decent central partner. Who knows?) 

What we need is an actual central midfield player who knows:

When to defend,

When you support attack,

When to make a pass either short or long

When to put his foot in etc etc etc.

As I say a midfield player, not a defender or any other player who is essentially out of position. I realise that given our financial situation it’s an almost impossible task but it’s what we need simple as that.

By all accounts Palmer could be that player if he's ever fit! Seems to have had decent reviews off Thistle fans and his former teacher. Would settle us right down if so. Also feel Lamont should be starting most weeks, by far our most likely midfielder to create anything. Sure he lead the assists chart last season.

A midfield 3 of the above could complement each other well if Palmer ticks the boxes. 

Re. Tomorrow's game, the official site says "Season card holders who are opted-in to live streams will automatically have access via the match page. All card balances will be reduced by £10 following Tuesday."

Does that mean I'll be paying from my ticket co wallet balance whether I watch it not? I can't recall opting in for cup games.

Not too bothered one way or the other but I'm curious to see if I've signed up to something without realising.

I'm sure they didn't do it for the Dumbarton game as they didn't have a way of synching it up with season tickets yet.

I'm also sure that this season it will apply for season tickets because it's the wallet thing. So we haven't just paid for X league games, there's plenty excess cash that we can use for whatever.

17 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Re. Tomorrow's game, the official site says "Season card holders who are opted-in to live streams will automatically have access via the match page. All card balances will be reduced by £10 following Tuesday."

Does that mean I'll be paying from my ticket co wallet balance whether I watch it not? I can't recall opting in for cup games.

Not too bothered one way or the other but I'm curious to see if I've signed up to something without realising.

You are opted in by default. There is /was an option to opt out but you had to take the required action.

It was all explained on the OS but I can't remember if there was a time limit for opting out.

Disappointed to be going in 1-0 down to be honest. Miles better than Saturday anyway. A of quick observations:

Cunningham is a big player for us, adds a lot of pace going forwards.

Robertson has played quite well IMO. Won and moved the ball well. Definitely looks as though he’ll get sent off at least once for a clumsy two footer.

Cuddihy hasn’t played particularly well. He’s been outmuscled quite easily and had a couple of instances of passing to nobody.

We do make a lot of daft wee mistakes in possession, just off the top of my head, Bain had a headed pass intercepted which to a chance for Killie. Little things I know but given our *ahem* fragile defence, I’d rather we cleared our lines first and foremost.

Our full back area really will lose us loads of goals. Teams are really targeting a through ball in behind both Bain and Shiels.

Surely he has to try Syvertsen close to Goodiewillie,  it did seem to work, takes pressure off Goodie,  its the only time in the last 3 or 4 games where we have carried any threat,  that along with Cunningham looking sharp, sounds like an option.

We can discuss and  debate all we like about support for Goodie, that’s been an unanswered problem for 2-3 years now. However our biggest issue is the fact we cannot keep a clean sheet.

We have ongoing issues at fullback we all know about and centre midfield, again not addressed,  which is hugely disappointing. I thought Bain was a step  forward but having watched the games now, he is not an improvement on Cuddihy. In fact if we could get a proper CM then I’d definitely move Barry back to full back. LB is still an issue obviously. Shiels is either not ready or not good enough. Both fullbacks give the ball away constantly.

End of the day unless we get one / preferably 2 Centre midfield players in then we will go down, certainly on evidence so far. Back 4 no matter who we have in have zero protection and even more worrying cannot keep hold of the ball, which also adds to the lack of protection problem as teams just find it too easy to build attacks. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Had a load of bother with Pars TV so didn't bother, have we just fully collapsed?

We didn't really collapse at all, looked in total cruise control at 2-1 and then inexplicably got caught high up the park. The third was a goalkeeping error. It's terrifying how easily we can ship goals.

The main positive for me was Lloyd Robertson who has been much better in the defensive midfield role than Cuddihy. Lamont really tidy in possession as well.