Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

These are all the players we list as midfielders on our website and being quite frank, not a single one of them appears to be league one standard.

That's only, possibly harsh on Henderson (who is apparently talented) and Palmer (who got injured instantly).

We're pinning our hopes on Cuddihy, a guy who was our 4th best central midfielder last season. Absolutely pathetic. 

Screenshot_20201107-155127_Chrome~2.jpg

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

These are all the players we list as midfielders on our website and being quite frank, not a single one of them appears to be league one standard.

That's only, possibly harsh on Henderson (who is apparently talented) and Palmer (who got injured instantly).

We're pinning our hopes on Cuddihy, a guy who was our 4th best central midfielder last season. Absolutely pathetic. 

Seeing that actually makes it glaringly obvious how weak we are in the middle of the park.

Alot of improvement needed between now and the Montrose game. I cannot face going back down into League 2 again.

There hasnt been a single positive to take in the games after beating the scum. The highlight in each game has been the final whistle.
I understand Lennon has barely a budget to work with but the recruitment has been abysmal. Goodwillie is isolated up front.
Norway does a fair bit of running but that's it.
Midfield is non existent and the defence is a shambles.

Particularly honking has been Mcniff and Johnston but tbh most of the players are hiding and need to step up or we will be struggling to stay out the pyramid playoff next season at this rate.

3 games, 8 conceded without reply or much attempt on fucking goal

Danny keeps blaming the defence but it’s deflecting from the real problem, IT’S THE MIDFIELD!!! I thought that Cuddihy would be able to step up and control the midfield but I was wrong . Some thought that Grant, Mcstay and Rankin leaving wasn’t that big of an issue but it’s HUGE . The defence have no confidence in the midfield to help them out so they are making basic mistakes, mistakes that happen when you have no confidence. The transfer window can’t come quick enough...

5 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Looking at that is scary and very worrying.

People keep going on about how other felt it wasnt an issue losing Grant, McStay and Rankin.

Genuinely dont remember reading that on here from anyone other than the odd one or two (myself included) that felt McStay could be replaced reasonably easily.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Our midfield will be a lot better with Palmer and Cunningham in there. It may still be a huge problem, but it will be better than Tuesday/today. From what I saw of Palmer last season he can pass through midfield similar to Grant. Cuddihy just can't do it. 

Despite feeling a back three might suit Shiels and possibly get Syvertsen up with Goodwillie, the team selection today was bonkers. Up against the most attacking LB in the league and we play Johnston (lazy) and Rumsby (terrified to leave the penalty area) in support of Bain. A limited midfield pair (I actually thought Robertson battled away okay in patches) who were hopelessly outnumbered by Airdrie's three and Robert drifting in. That meant we couldn't push up the pitch and win the ball high.

We need to bin the idea of playing wingers and get an energetic quartet who can press and counter at pace. We absolutely need to stop teams higher up the pitch. I fear we still lack a bit of strength in there though.

Where is Howie? I think when fit we need to get him in alongside Lang. McNiff is back to punting it long. Perhaps a by-product of losing Grant. 

Last season, we found it hard to create because we had to sacrifice a lot of attacking output from McStay in particular to protect a defence which was weak as piss, particularly in the full-back areas. That, plus the injury to Syvertsen meaning that our best form of support for Goodwillie until Cunningham arrived was the incredibly hot-and-cold (but mostly lukewarm) Lamont. Once the defence was tightened up (and could play a bit higher) with the arrivals of Livingstone and Lang, we saw McStay (and, to some extent, Grant too) being able to influence things a bit more in a progressive sense. 

The big problem we have now is that we've gone from having two central midfield players, who were very good at protecting our defence and allowing us to play progressively, to now relying on Cuddihy (nowhere near as good as either) alone doing that job. There are absolutely no alternatives to him, and he simply doesn't look up to it. Fingers crossed that Cammy Palmer is the player who's going to fix it, but christ knows what his injury situation is. It is a hell of a burden to be placing on a 20-year-old loanee.

If anyone casts a man of the match vote for this game they want their head checking. 

Couldn’t give a toss what happens in these cup games, ideally we’d have to forfeit them as 2 3-0s is better than what we’ll get playing the games. 

First half and the word "good" is a bizarre comment

Were in mega bother and players body language at 1nil going back to.position was more worrying than scoreline...

For anyone lucky enough not to watch it. 1nil looked like 5nil, heads were down & we looked beaten early doors....

Result confirmed my concern at time

Didn’t watch yesterday thankfully; unfortunately I was not surprised by result it’s plain and obvious we are in big trouble, this is not a side having a bad day at the office, injury issues or some of the reasons we look to in the hope we will bounce back.

The experiment or is it necessity to have a number of young loan players has not worked, these guys may well be talented but nowhere near ready. Not their fault. Even when we had Scott Banks, a player incidentally head and shoulders above these guys took around a dozen games to get up to speed with proper football. 
Just as worrying is that players such as Ally Love, Syvertson , Johnston are at best impact subs and these are our so called experienced players.

Take no pleasure in this but it’s obvious, to me at least that this is different.. we are in big bother, I’ve seen this before as I’ve been supporting this club for over 50 years. My worry is that I think we are where we are and I not convinced Lennon can do much about it given we have a signed squad and zero finance to change it. Even if 2 proper  centre mids would at least make us competitive.