Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I thought the squad that year was good enough to be comfortable in the bottom league, wasn’t a fantastic squad but I wouldn’t say we had a team on paper that would have been rock bottom of the league but aye horrendous season.
McMillan, Lithgow, McGowan, McCusker and Strachan were the only ones up to that level. The rest of the squad was filled with crap from the juniors. We beat Queens Park at Hampden in the August then didn't win again until February.

There was big changes to the team once Duffy took over.

McMillan, Lithgow, McGowan, McCusker and Strachan were the only ones up to that level. The rest of the squad was filled with crap from the juniors. We beat Queens Park at Hampden in the August then didn't win again until February.

The improvement when Duffy took over should embarrass Millar.

Some of the worst gutless performances I witnessed from Clyde were that of Duffys teams. 3-0 defeats to the Shire, pumping every fucking time against QP, the list goes on. I honestly don't see the bug fascination with Duffys time at Clyde, it was called the Banter Years for a reason. Some of the shite he signed man, fucking hell where do I start? John Kane, Pat Scullion, Archdeacon, John Stewart... 

Worst 3 managers definitely Brown by a country mile, then Miller and Chapman plus a special mention to Barry Ferguson whom I have no doubts that he put a shitload of effort into it but he was just shite and had a c**t of an attitude towards players and latterly the fans. 

Top 3 from my time supporting Clyde had to be Lennon, Roberts and Kernaghan. 

Since Joe MIller, who was criminally under-rated:

Hendry - Obviously there was other, ultimately tragic, stuff going on with his family but he struggled badly. Traub, Potter, Christian Smith, Bestvina, Valentim, Kirkup; a succession of players who were nowhere near good enough. Has obviously lost his book of contacts. Div McGowan running around as a lone striker was mind-numbing - we were in the second tier in Scotland! He seemed entirely reliant on trying to get James Grady in as his assistant. 

Brown - You just need to listen to some of the stories that have came out since about push-ups in farms and Tesco breakfasts. Then you have Marvyn Wilson at left-back, Pat Clarke as a wing-back. I don't go along with the idea that the team he had was necessarily too good to go down, but they would have had a better chance without him.  The quality of his League 1 team was probably the worst we've ever had; though we were clearly completely skint. That was partly down to his pals pulling their cash and I'm pretty sure some people were holding back money until he left. A disaster and, what is more, a horrible human being. However, I'd also say that I think we were destined to drop out of the Championship at some point.

McCormack - An absolute dinosaur. Should have been retired years before he showed up at Clyde. Look at the team he was given the money to put together; Reidford, Lithgow, Kinniburgh, Boyle, Gramovics, Doolan, Strachan. Half the team was full-time. Somehow he only won 2 out of 16 taking us from having a chance of avoiding relegation to being miles adrift. I think he's verging on being the worst, even though people forget about him. 

Millar - Toothy turnip brought in a couple of decent players (McCusker, McMillan) but made the big mistake of not putting together a good centre of midfield, which did nothing to protect a strong centre half pairing of Lithgow/McMillan. Best goalie in the Juniors, worst goalie we've ever had in Hutchison. Pretty obvious the players were at it, he had no control over them, so gains a bit of sympathy. Somehow managed to beat Queen's Park which stopped them beating us 12 times in a row, so a bonus point for that. 

Duffy - Exactly the same as he's been at Morton/Dumbarton since leaving. Could organise a team and find a centre half but completely devoid of ambition, and his inactivity in the transfer market was almost surreal. He had an inexplicable run of 18 games with just one win (against a bogging Shire team) at one point, was happy playing for defeats against a Rangers team that everyone else tried to beat and lost eleven times in a row to QP. He did give us a decent final season with a well balanced team that were much better than the individuals in it and was really unlucky not to have us in a play-off final. When you see the garbage he gave contracts to, it's probably for the best we didn't go up. That said, he is second best on this list and I very much wish him well. He would have probably got us up with the budgets Ferguson and Lennon had and there's no doubt he gets players playing better than their ability.

Ferguson - Fell out with his experienced coach before the season started, fell out with his first group of players very quickly, fell out with a number of fans quickly. For someone who was such a good player, he literally did seem to be learning on the job (the crazy team selection at Ibrox a case in point); he would try something new every game and didn't ever seem to really be convinced what his longer term plan would be. There was an absolutely incredible turnover in players (which is a positive and a negative). The final few months were painful to watch, he didn't have a clue how to fix things. However, he was incredibly ambitious for Clyde, put a huge amount of work in, hasn't badmouthed us since he left, and has quite openly admitted since that he would do a lot of things differently. A bit unlucky with injuries at the end of the play-off season (if only Marko could have survived for the QP games), then Lowdon/Easton the year after. Absolutely a failure, but I find it very hard to group him with some of the others. Like Duffy, I hope he has success in the future.

Chapman - Couldn't manage to put together a competitive League 2 team with Goodwillie up front. He was probably not given much money to play with but could seemingly only bring in ex-Annan players. We literally were playing park-the-bus hoofball and yet were still shipping three goals a game. Words can't describe how diabolical we were to watch, I don't know why he bothered with a midfield. Blamed referees for everything. Him and his assistant brawling with fans. An air of superiority that motored past arrogance into complete delusion. An absolute nightmare. The only positive is that he brought in Cuddihy, and Currie to some extent. Now that I've typed this up, he's definitely the worst.

Lennon - It was absolutely remarkable that we brought him in, then topped it up with Alan Moore who has a good record in his own right. We'll ignore the fact we then didn't score for five games. A fantastically warm personality, who has brought the most fractured club in Scotland together. We have played some wonderful football in his tenure and had some phenomenal comebacks and performances. But it's his attitude that makes him stand out; even this summer when we've been scraping the barrel he has relentless positivity and determination. If he could beat Peterhead he would be verging on perfect. An absolute class apart from any of the other names on this list. 

Joe Miller could have stayed but wanted more money. No problem with that as everyone's circumstances vary. 

Same question as above - where is he now? What is he doing?

Circumstances or Gambling Habit

Well known around bookies out East End

However that aside would take him in midfield just now if hes up for it

22 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Some of the worst gutless performances I witnessed from Clyde were that of Duffys teams. 3-0 defeats to the Shire, pumping every fucking time against QP, the list goes on. I honestly don't see the bug fascination with Duffys time at Clyde, it was called the Banter Years for a reason. Some of the shite he signed man, fucking hell where do I start? John Kane, Pat Scullion, Archdeacon, John Stewart... 

Worst 3 managers definitely Brown by a country mile, then Miller and Chapman plus a special mention to Barry Ferguson whom I have no doubts that he put a shitload of effort into it but he was just shite and had a c**t of an attitude towards players and latterly the fans. 

Top 3 from my time supporting Clyde had to be Lennon, Roberts and Kernaghan. 

Kernaghan is an interesting one. It pains me to say it, but I think Kernaghan’s good spell was a lot to do with Billy Reid being his number 2. Just look at their respective coaching/ managerial careers since. People forget that Billy Reid took over from Kernaghan and kept us challenging at the top of the Championship before he did what he did. I think a lot stinks about the Billy Reid to Hamilton scenario but I think the Kernaghan spell wasn’t necessarily all due to Kernaghan’s own abilities as a football manager. 

On 02/11/2020 at 22:53, Jack Burton said:

John Sweeney, Willie Sawyers, Kevin Findlayson, could argue on paper John Stewart should have Done a job in that league 

8 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Willie Sawyers was fucking brutal. He's a Sunday league player at best.

That's easy to say now we have Goodwillie up front. Sawyers was far from our worst in that era IMO. Quite decent going getting double figures goal tally in that horrific side we had under Bomber in 09/10.

37 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

That's easy to say now we have Goodwillie up front. Sawyers was far from our worst in that era IMO. Quite decent going getting double figures goal tally in that horrific side we had under Bomber in 09/10.

Far from our worst but still absolutely honking.