Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

AFAIK the reason the league season was delayed to 17th October was on the assumption that supporters would be allowed back into stadiums by then.  So presumably that's a provisional date because unless they are, it's not financially viable for clubs as there isn't the tv money subsidy which the SPFL clubs receive.
With the current messages being sent out and the early impression given that there will be specific restrictions set between now and March, it's hard to see supporters being allowed back in anytime soon.   So what will the clubs do, begin the season and "see how it goes" in the hope restrictions are lifted relatively quickly or just decide to draw a line under it until the new year...or have I missed something here ? 
We've committed to playing the season so unless the joint response group declares the season is delayed or cancelled then it will continue as planned.

I don't think there is much chance of crowds being allowed back any time soon and even if they are you are probably talking season ticket holders only or limited attendance.

It's going to be a huge struggle financially if we need to play all or most of the season behind closed doors and relying on ppv as our main source of income.

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

We've committed to playing the season so unless the joint response group declares the season is delayed or cancelled then it will continue as planned.

I don't think there is much chance of crowds being allowed back any time soon and even if they are you are probably talking season ticket holders only or limited attendance.

It's going to be a huge struggle financially if we need to play all or most of the season behind closed doors and relying on ppv as our main source of income.

That's what I was meaning, you'd have to think that if pretty tight restrictions continued to be in place for the foreseeable future then the majority of the lower league clubs wouldn't see it as viable.  In which case presumably The Joint Response Group would step in. 

Highly unlikely ppv would be anywhere near what's needed.  I personally just can't see any way the season can start if the regulations remain as they are now or are tightened further which seems to be what we're all being prepared for

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Despite everything the Government have to allow crowds back. 

In Germany they have allowed for 20% of Stadium Capacity for the time being, below I have listed last years attendances throughout the leagues. If 20% capacity was allowed in Scotland it would allow the majority of clubs in Tier 2, 3 and 4 to compete in front of their usual average crowd. These being the same clubs who heavily depend on gate receipts. It is also worth noting that those clubs are mostly supported by folk who live in that town or very nearby and generally travel to the games by Car or Walk or if they do use public transport, it isn't packed. 
In Germany they are only allowing fans who live within a certain radius of the stadium, so for Rangers and Celtic for example that would rule out the Glory Hunters from the likes of Inverness, Dumfries, Falkirk and Ayr for example who would normally pack into Supporters Busses or Trains, or at the very least drive to either stadium of which doesn't have adequate parking facilities to match what is required for even 20% of their capacity. For Rangers and Celtic it wouldn't surprise me if 20% covers the majority of those who live within an hours walk of Ibrox or Parkhead judging by the amount of supporters busses that head that way from all over Scotland.

Also in Germany, away crowds are banned. Again to stop people from unnecessary travelling - especially via public or grouped transport

Clubs need to have a plan in place on how they would seat fans at their grounds. cutting out every second row and spacing people out by households and issuing tickets. Broadwood for example they can have one way into the turnstyles, kiosk area closed and fans exit via the trackside and out the side exits. Sanitiser stations dotted around the ground, doors all open and facemasks to be worn and that should surely tick all boxes.

Here's the attendances for last season starting with the Premiership.

Pay attention to the lowest figure, Hamilton, Livi, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock fall within that 20% or not too much above it. Could be argued that Accies have been social distancing for years judging by their top flight attendances.

image.thumb.png.28ecdbd9371269cce08f7d2edeb00d62.png

Championship

Now here's the leagues that heavily depend on crowds. Again looking at the Low, the majority of these clubs could play in front of those crowds within the 20% mark with the exception of Dundee United and Dundee. 

image.thumb.png.f88eedb5cbdd11466f96410c0fe4e78a.png

League 1

Again, majority of teams in this league well within the 20%, Clyde within 10% of that. Even winners Raith's average crowd falls within the 20%. Falkirk the only team that would suffer from a 20% cap. Now Thistle are joining us in this league, they will be the other who will suffer from the cap, the rest untouched.

image.thumb.png.d2ffb238e951d70f4297c495773dd756.png

League 2

League 2 is a tricky one because of the size and type of stadiums. Edinburgh has 3500 capacity but I'm assuming that is including the grass verges. Albion Rovers is hardly fit for purpose on a normal day nevermind these times with social distancing. Either way, the majority of teams here can play to their average crowd which falls within the 20% mark. Teams like Annan would obviously need to utilise their terracing a bit more as that wee stand hardly holds club officials nevermind fans. 

image.thumb.png.c48da945b4ecad3d057326880c60471a.png

image.png

Edited by Ingo ohne Flamingo

1 minute ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

In Germany they have allowed for 20% of Stadium Capacity for the time being, below I have listed last years attendances throughout the leagues. If 20% capacity was allowed in Scotland it would allow the majority of clubs in Tier 2, 3 and 4 to compete in front of their usual average crowd. These being the same clubs who heavily depend on gate receipts. It is also worth noting that those clubs are mostly supported by folk who live in that town or very nearby and generally travel to the games by Car or Walk or if they do use public transport, it isn't packed. 
In Germany they are only allowing fans who live within a certain radius of the stadium, so for Rangers and Celtic for example that would rule out the Glory Hunters from the likes of Inverness, Dumfries, Falkirk and Ayr for example who would normally pack into Supporters Busses or Trains, or at the very least drive to either stadium of which doesn't have adequate parking facilities to match what is required for even 20% of their capacity. For Rangers and Celtic it wouldn't surprise me if 20% covers the majority of those who live within an hours walk of Ibrox or Parkhead judging by the amount of supporters busses that head that way from all over Scotland.

Also in Germany, away crowds are banned. Again to stop people from unnecessary travelling - especially via public or grouped transport

Clubs need to have a plan in place on how they would seat fans at their grounds. cutting out every second row and spacing people out by households and issuing tickets. Broadwood for example they can have one way into the turnstyles, kiosk area closed and fans exit via the trackside and out the side exits. Sanitiser stations dotted around the ground, doors all open and facemasks to be worn and that should surely tick all boxes.

Pay attention to the lowest figure, Hamilton, Livi, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock fall within that 20% or not too much above it. Could be argued that Accies have been social distancing for years judging by their top flight attendances.

Championship

Now here's the leagues that heavily depend on crowds. Again looking at the Low, the majority of these clubs could play in front of those crowds within the 20% mark with the exception of Dundee United and Dundee. 

League 1

Again, majority of teams in this league well within the 20%, Clyde within 10% of that. Even winners Raith's average crowd falls within the 20%. Falkirk the only team that would suffer from a 20% cap. Now Thistle are joining us in this league, they will be the other who will suffer from the cap, the rest untouched.

League 2

League 2 is a tricky one because of the size and type of stadiums. Edinburgh has 3500 capacity but I'm assuming that is including the grass verges. Albion Rovers is hardly fit for purpose on a normal day nevermind these times with social distancing. Either way, the majority of teams here can play to their average crowd which falls within the 20% mark. Teams like Annan would obviously need to utilise their terracing a bit more as that wee stand hardly holds club officials nevermind fans. 

image.png

Crowds are getting back in germany because they actually listen to their government and follow guidelines, whereas here we have folk arguing over which government they follow, and people having an attitude of “I won’t be told what to do anymore, I’ve done my bit”. 

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

Crowds are getting back in germany because they actually listen to their government and follow guidelines, whereas here we have folk arguing over which government they follow, and people having an attitude of “I won’t be told what to do anymore, I’ve done my bit”. 

Yep - Unfortunately there is that attitude. In turn though, you need to look at the volume of folk going through each set of turnstyles compared to Germany. On Saturday Dortmund had 9300 people there, only Celtic would have more than that sticking to 20%, the rest are made up of much smaller crowds especially in the lower tiers. With social distancing implemented at stadiums like Broadwood, Annan, Stirling, Airdrie etc - it can be achieved. Also to my point earlier that those teams attract local crowds, many of whom could walk to the ground - Maybe clyde slightly different because of our Rutherglen / Glasgow background, but only 1 supporters bus goes to home games each week and only a handful of folk use it, worth pointing out that those who use that particular bus are in the high risk categories therefore can't see that bus running anyway. Most Clyde fans get to the games by private transport and the car parking is more than adequate. 

Despite everything, it is crucial that fans are allowed back and aye, it'll be pish with the measures but it will ensure our clubs survival. The top league can just get by on TV money and whatever else, everything below could fade away with no crowds. Scottish clubs have shite crowds anyway and as I pointed out above, our stadiums are more than big enough to do things by the book. If only we were Rugby fans then we might be treated better I suppose...

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Correct in every way, would like Fishy Sturgeon to explain why she's not allowing fans back into stadiums whilst the idiots can go shopping and enjoy a couple of pints. If only fans could be sensible, not turn up without tickets etc, maybe we'd have a chance.

This comment stinks mate

The way it's going this full season could be a write off as far as getting fans into games goes.

I wasnt overly bothered about it before but I'd definitely be paying to stream our home games when I could, if thats still going to be an option.

I know the club regularly appeal for people to put their hand in their pocket but given the circumstances we all need to do our bit to ensure we stay afloat this season.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

20 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

The way it's going this full season could be a write off as far as getting fans into games goes.

I wasnt overly bothered about it before but I'd definitely be paying to stream our home games when I could if thats still going to be an option. I know the club regularly appeal for people to put their hand in their pocket but given the circumstances we all need to do our bit to ensure we stay afloat this season.

Supporting the Club is the only way we will survive. Bleak times ahead with no fans allowed for the foreseeable.

Hopefully we can get the live streaming up with good security measures, be nothing worse than illegal streaming denting the funds gained via this option.

Also need it to be accessible PPV to everyone, including away fans, in order to maximise income.

If we have to go ahead without fans in the stadium, then live streaming would be  (just) acceptable. I would presume that season ticket holders could use the digital season ticket to pay for the service, and, yes, it would make sense to make it available to all, including away fans especially as our first home league game is against you know who!

Championship
League 1
League 2

image.thumb.png.9728d7e6efe1fdf631522542753e5c4c.png
This is pretty much what I was thinking but the reality is imagining the fallout if the lower leagues were allowed fans and the top tier weren't. Be pretty funny though and seeing the maths done shows the viability on paper. Comes down to can the Club's manage it effectively though.

This is pretty much what I was thinking but the reality is imagining the fallout if the lower leagues were allowed fans and the top tier weren't. Be pretty funny though and seeing the maths done shows the viability on paper. Comes down to can the Club's manage it effectively though.

Best we can hope for, I think, is season ticket holders being allowed to attend. The club will already have all their details on file and most should live locally to the ground.

It's all pie in the sky stuff anyway. We've just had more restrictions brought in today and all fans attending games being paused.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Best we can hope for, I think, is season ticket holders being allowed to attend. The club will already have all their details on file and most should live locally to the ground.

It's all pie in the sky stuff anyway. We've just had more restrictions brought in today and all fans attending games being paused.

Find it hard to believe that most of our season tickets live local to the ground. 

Scottish football is in bad nic for sure, but I'm not sure Clyde are significantly worse off than others. Championship and some  Lge 1clubs paying fulltime wages with minimal income are every bit in jeopardy as wee teams paying PT wages. 

I'd guess the clubs who've sold season tickets or electronic tickets like ourselves have, in fact, been provided with a mortgage. That advance will be used to pay wages until it runs out.

Some shitty single camera nailed to the main stand is unlikely to generate much in the way of ADDITIONAL income.

I hope am wrong and before we know it, we're back to hammering the big teams and toiling to pick up a point against the bottom of the league teams. 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

18 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Very grown up, what's your problem ?

“Very grown up”, going to refuse to take that from a man that used the term “Fishy Sturgeon” and called people that *checks notes* go shopping are idiots. Absolutely roasting patter. My problem is your comment stinks of raw gammon wrapped in a few pages of the Daily Mail.