Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Why are some of us on here throwing in the towel for the season ahead based on the starting eleven for a friendly against Cumbernauld United?

Our starting line up in an early pre-season friendly against a junior/WoSL (not completely sure what they are currently) team certainly isnt the benchmark for what's to come.

There is still plenty of time for further signings, strongest eleven to be decided etc etc. Calm doon.

14 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why are some of us on here throwing in the towel for the season ahead based on the starting eleven for a friendly against Cumbernauld United?

Our starting line up in an early pre-season friendly against a junior/WoSL (not completely sure what they are currently) team certainly isnt the benchmark for what's to come.

There is still plenty of time for further signings, strongest eleven to be decided etc etc. Calm doon.

Same shite every season mate

Danny will have his teams selected that allow for each individual to play X amount of minutes to get their match sharpness and fitness up.  The team that started our friendly on Saturday will be different to last nights, and then our starting team will differ in our next friendly and so on to accommodate everyone getting the X amount of minutes they need . Only come our final friendly will we likely see a full strength team out from the start. So I have no idea why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about our starting 11 last night and worrying about it for the season ahead. 

no doubt will see another couple of signings soon, hopefully in the midfield! And if we do I’ll be very content with our squad. 

Whilst I'm not panicking yet, if we don't sign at least one good central midfielder in the next couple of weeks, I will become very concerned.

We've lost 3 central midfielders who would all start when fit in McStay, Grant and Rankin (I accept Rankin took on more of a floating/free role), and we haven't signed any replacements for them. Lamont is a more attacking player and, by the sounds of it, Henderson is as well. 

Cuddihy seems likely to move into midfield, but I just don't think he's good enough. He's an ideal player to have on the bench, as he has pace and can cover a number of positions, but he's never going to control a midfield.

Our league season starts one month today, and the cup before then, so if we don't announce someone soon I will be joining those in expecting a pretty poor season ahead.

(That's not to mention we'd ideally sign a better centre back too).

Knickers are quite rightly being twisted when our defensive signings have consisted of a left-back who was jobby on loan at Dumbarton last season and a utility-man right-back who wasn't in Forfar's strongest team towards the end of last season. We are looking pretty good going forward, but our central midfield options currently consist of a young lad with absolutely no track record of first team football + Cuddihy (a good squad player at this level, but sadly nothing more). Any team lacking in quality in the middle of the park and at the back, as we are, will struggle, regardless of how good they are up top. There is, of course, still time to get more bodies in, but it's pretty well-known that we've no money and as a result we will have to be very lucky to get players of quality through the door in those key areas. We are still paying for dishing out those two-year deals after promotion to players who aren't good enough to match DL's ambitions.

I take it the. Tournament supposed to be at broadwood this weekend won't go ahead now
It's next weekend and think they were still looking for teams to take part. St Mirren and Stirling Albion were due to take part but can't due to the local lockdown. Need another two teams based in North Lanarkshire.

Also noted that we will need to test the squad ahead of playing Killie in the Bet Fred due to them being a premiership team or will need to forfeit the game.

Guest The Phoenix
35 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

It's next weekend and think they were still looking for teams to take part. St Mirren and Stirling Albion were due to take part but can't due to the local lockdown. Need another two teams based in North Lanarkshire.

Guidance changed during the week. 

As things stand we are 100% taking part. 

Can’t speak for St Mirren . 

Also noted that we will need to test the squad ahead of playing Killie in the Bet Fred due to them being a premiership team or will need to forfeit the game.

If no crowds allowed, which I think likely, I say forfeit the match and keep the £1500 testing fee + match costs.

Don't you get sponsorship money in that competition which would offset the costs? And why would we have to get tests before playing Premiership opposition but not before any other games, are Premiership footballers more vulnerable to Covid?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Given that there is a requirement for the top division clubs to to test all their players and that will be costing them a fortune, I don't see an issue with asking lower league teams to test prior to playing. It's a pain but you get a decent whack of prize money for the cup regardless of where you finish. It's also important to remember that a large chunk of our league prize money comes from the TV cash which the top division teams bring in, so we need those games going ahead.

However, I think it's a bit farcical that teams can just choose not to take part in individual games and the only penalty is a loss of points. Surely that will need to all be decided prior to the group stage starting?

However, I think it's a bit farcical that teams can just choose not to take part in individual games and the only penalty is a loss of points. Surely that will need to all be decided prior to the group stage starting?

Correct.

However, SPFL incompetence has left this door ajar. We should use it to our advantage.

The SPFL and sponsors are only interested in the semifinals and final anyway.

AFAIK the reason the league season was delayed to 17th October was on the assumption that supporters would be allowed back into stadiums by then.  So presumably that's a provisional date because unless they are, it's not financially viable for clubs as there isn't the tv money subsidy which the SPFL clubs receive.

With the current messages being sent out and the early impression given that there will be specific restrictions set between now and March, it's hard to see supporters being allowed back in anytime soon.   So what will the clubs do, begin the season and "see how it goes" in the hope restrictions are lifted relatively quickly or just decide to draw a line under it until the new year...or have I missed something here ? 

AFAIK the reason the league season was delayed to 17th October was on the assumption that supporters would be allowed back into stadiums by then.  So presumably that's a provisional date because unless they are, it's not financially viable for clubs as there isn't the tv money subsidy which the SPFL clubs receive.
With the current messages being sent out and the early impression given that there will be specific restrictions set between now and March, it's hard to see supporters being allowed back in anytime soon.   So what will the clubs do, begin the season and "see how it goes" in the hope restrictions are lifted relatively quickly or just decide to draw a line under it until the new year...or have I missed something here ? 
We've committed to playing the season so unless the joint response group declares the season is delayed or cancelled then it will continue as planned.

I don't think there is much chance of crowds being allowed back any time soon and even if they are you are probably talking season ticket holders only or limited attendance.

It's going to be a huge struggle financially if we need to play all or most of the season behind closed doors and relying on ppv as our main source of income.