Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

A massive loss. The guy is incredible, our best midfielder since Bryson. 

Gutted to see him go but can only thank him for what he’s done for us in last couple of seasons. It was a joy to watch him every week & wish him all the best. Really nice guy off the park too so no hard feelings. Hope he goes on to have a great career & does what is best for him, he’s certainly got the ability to play at the top. 

If rumours are true that he’s off to QP it would be slightly frustrating that it’s a step down in terms of leagues but if it’s full time given the ambition & location I can understand it. Would rather see him move up a league or two mind you. 

In saying all of that Clyde is obviously the priority so we need to find a replacement & try to improve on the midfield we had last season. A tough job for the management team but with season still a few months away I believe we’ll have a decent team in place to compete for places in the top half of the league. 

Gutted, but can only wish him well.  Had the pleasure of chatting to him a couple of times and he was an absolute gentleman 

Massive job ahead for DL to replace him and Rankin

Tough season ahead, but still looking forward to it 

And Tom Lang! 
Looking good for the new season chaps. 
Yeah Lang was another decent player was really surprised he never got a look in at Dunfermline last season.

Big task for Lennon with Rankin, Grant and Lang to replace.

Whilst I'm gutted to see Grant go, I think McStay would actually be harder to replace.

Grant is the better player, particularly at this stage of their careers, but ultimately he's a sitting midfielder. We should be capable of finding another player who can anchor the midfield, make some simple linking passes, and hopefully trackback quicker than Grant was able to (as his pace will probably hold him back reaching a really high level). They won't be Grants quality obviously, but it's generally an easier position to fill in the team.

McStay is a frustrating player, and I get why some don't like him, but he has a great engine, good body strength (when he feels like using it), and crucially, the ability to link up with Goodwillie.

Sometimes it feels like he needs someone to get in his face and wind him up a bit before a game as he can be a bit slow to start at times but, he's a proper box-to-box midfielder, takes the ball off defenders in tough situations (even if he then does too much with it), and gets forward too. It's just a harder role to fill than a sitting midfielder.

Like Lamont, McStay probably needs to add a few more goals to his game, but it still feels like his potential is massive if he can just fine tune his play a little.

If we lose McStay as well, then I will start to be a little worried. Although we were in League Two (it's not like we have much more money now anyway) in the 10 years prior to our promotion season, our central midfield was by far and away our biggest issue. Aside from a non-injured Dylan Easton, I can't think of many I'd have taken ahead of McStay.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

On 15/07/2020 at 19:41, johnmc80 said:

Was fantastic with us for his age. Thought he would do very well with yous once he settled in. Glad to hear he is doing well.

shamejust be a few names out there, who would've expected. That Northampton midfielder a few seasons back.,. Forget his name but not he was good for a while,,I expect more prospects like that not wanted at plenty more places....or not needed to be politically correct

35 minutes ago, clyde_r_us said:

shamejust be a few names out there, who would've expected. That Northampton midfielder a few seasons back.,. Forget his name but not he was good for a while,,I expect more prospects like that not wanted at plenty more places....or not needed to be politically correct

Was that the boy who Man Utd had or wanted but was released by Northampton and signed for our community team? 

Absolutely amazed we've heard nothing about him since...

Was that the boy who Man Utd had or wanted but was released by Northampton and signed for our community team? 
Shama Bako, he's playing in the 3rd tier in Germany for Lubeck now. No idea what kind of standard that is.

3 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Shama Bako, he's playing in the 3rd tier in Germany for Lubeck now. No idea what kind of standard that is.

Just googled them. In the North regional league (4th tier) but they won the league so into the 3rd division next season. Tbf, that's probably a similar, if not better standard than league 1 in the 3rd liga.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Just googled them. In the North regional league (4th tier) but they won the league so into the 3rd division next season. Tbf, that's probably a similar, if not better standard than league 1 in the 3rd liga.

I took in a a game at that level in Berlin in November. It was a poor game (finished 0-0 - typical) but I’d say overall the standard is pretty similar. Similar crowds etc too. 

Grant’s departure got me thinking. When was the last time Clyde fans were as disappointed at losing a player? Shows how far we’ve come under Lennon that a player leaving has us all in deep mourning! Just hope he doesn’t rock up at QP but I think he will. 

I took in a a game at that level in Berlin in November. It was a poor game (finished 0-0 - typical) but I’d say overall the standard is pretty similar. Similar crowds etc too. 

Grant’s departure got me thinking. When was the last time Clyde fans were as disappointed at losing a player? Shows how far we’ve come under Lennon that a player leaving has us all in deep mourning! Just hope he doesn’t rock up at QP but I think he will. 

I'd say Dylan Easton.

9 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Probably not as much as Grant, but I would say most were pretty gutted when Lang went last summer 

I actually wasn’t bothered when Dylan Easton went, decent player but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

In terms of midfield we have a major rebuild job on, think he’s been mentioned but I like McKee at Dumbarton. 

5 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I actually wasn’t bothered when Dylan Easton went, decent player but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

In terms of midfield we have a major rebuild job on, think he’s been mentioned but I like McKee at Dumbarton. 

I think losing him so early in a season was the let down for me, he was supremely entertaining to watch and was also the rare player that everyone knew about before we signed him which had generated some extra hysteria. Didn't even last long enough to wear our home kit.