Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

24 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

New pricing is a sore one for concessions, around a 40% hike, shouldn’t imagine that will be taken well

While I get things are financially difficult for people; unfortunately if we want to survive not just in L1 but just survive this is reality. My sympathy for those who may be struggling believe me! Club has no option.

Pay £7 we get Dan Kirkup, pay £14 we might get a Tom Lang. Football economics I’m afraid.  

19 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

While I get things are financially difficult for people; unfortunately if we want to survive not just in L1 but just survive this is reality. My sympathy for those who may be struggling believe me! Club has no option.

Pay £7 we get Dan Kirkup, pay £14 we might get a Tom Lang. Football economics I’m afraid.  

Yes I appreciate that,   but going by last years early door season ticket prices,  concession ticket have risen £5 per game, that's more than 40%.   

Adult prices , no change they are the exact same as last year.  

Duffie, Fitzpatrick, Lyon, Smith and Wylde away.

Nothing really unexpected there. Assuming we've offered everyone else out of contract a deal (Grant, McStay, Lamont, Love, Syvertsen) if there's no news on them yet.

Edited by C. Muir

Duffie, Fitzpatrick, Lyon, Smith and Wylde away.
Nothing really unexpected there. Assuming we've offered everyone else out of contract a deal (Grant, McStay, Lamont, Love, Syvertsen) if there's no news on them yet.

We were apparently after Chris McStay last summer albeit McCall was our manager. He might rock up at Firhill if he’s still keen on him.

I’d love us to take a chance on Ray Grant.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We were apparently after Chris McStay last summer albeit McCall was our manager. He might rock up at Firhill if he’s still keen on him.

I’d love us to take a chance on Ray Grant.

I forgot McStay's been in Australia since lockdown. Was the same the last 2 summers after the season finished as there was a delay in him agreeing a new deal compared to others. Still a bit too inconsistent for me but could very well excel moving into full time football. Hopefully not at Firhill though :lol:

Was pleasantly surprised we managed to hold onto Grant for another year. Sadly think this will be the year he finally moves on. And good luck to the beautiful man if so.

You wouldn't be taking a chance on Ray Grant, the guy is a quality player who could easily step up another level at the very least. Anyway hands off.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play although I have heard he’s highly rated and I’d like to see us go for guys that have been performing well in a lower league rather than the merry go round of Championship players.

No huge surprises there. Smith possible may have been offered a deal had more finances available but they were the obvious ones to go. I’d assume that means everyone else will have been offered something at least.

Only one I would have kept was Darren Smith the rest I’m not worried about.. wouldn’t be too fussed if McStay left either feel like most games last season he didn’t bother his arse, tho can turn it on when he wants to, to inconsistent for me.

Only really bothered about Grant & Love sighing (have my doubts)

Then hopefully we can pick up a few good freebies or a few loanees 

Quite happy with the names who are away. Dont understand why people would want to waste a wage on Smith for another season. Bar that goal at Falkirk he was hopeless. Never seen a pro footballer forget how to dribble a football as much in my life.

Disappointed with how things turned out with Wylde. Expected him to really make an impression.

Quite excited at the prospect of new players coming in in the (hopefully) not too distant future now some space has been freed up.

10 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Quite happy with the names who are away. Dont understand why people would want to waste a wage on Smith for another season. Bar that goal at Falkirk he was hopeless. Never seen a pro footballer forget how to dribble a football as much in my life.

Absolutely! Massive disappointment and a decent wage stuck on the bench and when he wasn't on the bench he was offside. 

I admit that Smith was a disappointment but I don't understand why he's been singled out of all the players released.

What about Keiran Duffie? He has had 3 (three) seasons at Clyde. No goals and I can only recall one assist (which was a poor cross)

Three seasons!

Fitzpatrick was a weird one and he will always (through no fault of his own) be associated with the loss of 4 points and goal difference swing of -7 that his first two appearances resulted in, which left the title as a long shot last season. Having seen him play at centre half, right back and up front, I can't see any reason why we would have signed him. Never mind keeping him in L1? Didn't seem to have the required touch or agility. I'll always be grateful for his performance in turning around our friendly with Bonnyrigg last summer.

Wylde was a massive disappointment. I'm probably in the minority when I say I think there was a decent player there - there were times he showed a sharpness when linking with Goodwillie - but he was blatantly unfit (carrying a bit of weight unfit, not sharpness). He didn't have the burst of pace I assumed he'd have. I don't think he was helped by being asked to play as a winger on Bonnyrigg's "pitch", then as a number 10 the week after, then coming on at left-back in one of the games, right wing in another. Definitely a player who has already reached his peak well before his late 20s.

I wouldn't have retained Lyon, either last season or for next, but I'm actually surprised he hasn't been offered something purely as there's always a bit of value in a squad player who is reasonably versatile, works hard and has a bit of pace. I 100% hope he gets a decent club where he'll play regularly as whilst he was a bit short of L1 quality, he didn't really let anybody down this season, particularly in two of the Falkirk games.

Duffie played well in the great run of DL's first season; his first proper run of games for some time. Cuddihy played too well there though in the promotion season, albeit Duffie did okay in the few games he did play (Stirling away, a couple of the playoff games). I can't see any team taking a chance on him given his injury record and like Wylde, he's another player who peaked a while ago. Was unsure about retaining him last summer and having seen him pick up another set of injuries, as well as Cuddihy struggle, I think it was silly to do so.

Smith was an enigma; one of those signings that should have been great but just didn't work out. He'll go back to Stirling or the likes and get a good haul of goals no doubt. I think we signed him to play off the left as he did at Stirling, getting in behind teams with his pace, with Johnston on the right helping to knit things together. Mainly because we knew we couldn't rely on DGW to be our only goalscorer (haha). However, some awful performances (from the team) meant we ended up binning that idea and the more solid side we put together didn't really suit either of them, whilst Love actually played pretty well in patches. The fact he couldn't play as a striker when DGW was out didn't help either. Whilst it didn't work, when you think of the number of chances he saw saved, it's not a huge jump to think that he could have nicked another 5-8 goals this season playing with a bit more confidence. He will always have his titanic performance as a sub in the 3-3 Stranraer draw, and the stunning Falkirk goal (what a genuinely amazing moment that was) to fall back on, but it was a no-brainer him being one of the ones to leave.