Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

21 minutes ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

I fully get this and don't want any team to suffer.  But there has to be compromise somewhere.

Clyde would stay in L1.  Not relegated down.  L2 would get disbanded and unfortunately Kelty or Brora would be the only clubs to suffer possibly.  

14/14/14 would be a decent option.  Clyde would be in with a great chance of winning L1 in the first year to be honest.  Then in the Championship.

No relegation for anyone and more promotions than expected. 

That's my half full glass version. 

Or you can look at it like we are being put from the second bottom league to the bottom league = relegation!
And it’s fair enough saying we would be one of the promotion favourites but we were favourites almost every season to win the league when we were in the bottom division and look how that worked out. 9 years later here we finally are after so much hard work the last couple of years! So you can’t justify it by saying Clyde have a great chance of bouncing back up. That Gamble is 100% not worth the risk! 
It’s financially a massive blow as well. Basically No away fans coming, less home fans due to poorer quality on show , less chance of match day sponsors, commercial opps, hospitality down. Don’t start on the budget cut this would all lead to as well as a kick in the teeth to all the fans. 

Edited by DeanMck

3 hours ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

I fully get this and don't want any team to suffer.  But there has to be compromise somewhere.

Clyde would stay in L1.  Not relegated down.  L2 would get disbanded and unfortunately Kelty or Brora would be the only clubs to suffer possibly.  

14/14/14 would be a decent option.  Clyde would be in with a great chance of winning L1 in the first year to be honest.  Then in the Championship.

This whole "They're still in league 1" thing is just a guise.  If they called/named the new leagues Premier, Second and Third would people then acknowledge that ourselves, Peterhead and Forfar would be playing at a lower league standard through no fault of our own?  I doubt it.   We would be playing in the lowest tier of Scottish football when currently we are not, calling it League 1 doesn't change that.

There is a massive difference between playing Falkirk 4 times a season than playing Annan Athletic, in both being able to attract players and also being able to afford them from what would clearly be a significant increase in attendances.  You can replace Falkirk with Thistle and Annan with pretty much anyone, aside from Stirling, and the point would stand.  It would affect clubs being placed in to a poorer league twofold.    

Edited by Adolfo Rios

Also, and I know it doesn't matter too much, but calling something "League One" when there is no "League Two" onwards is really stupid. It would be like calling a film something 1 with no intention making a sequel. Surely it would have to be "Championship Two" or some such name?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

When you end up playing all of the teams in the league below and none of the better sides in your current division that’s a relegation no matter how you try to dress it up.

I would hope we would be challenging for the title in a bottom 14 but with cove chucking money about and Peterhead always a thorn in our side it’s far from a shoe in.

We’ve spent the last 9 years playing the Elgin’s and Annan’s of the world over and over again. To end up back there through no fault of our own would be beyond shite.

Yes longer term we would have a better chance of establishing ourselves at tier 2 but it’s a big gamble that we shouldn’t be having to make.

We are currently 2 promotions away from the top league, and 2 relegations away from the Lowland League. With 3x 14's we'd still be 2 promotions from the top but only one relegation (ie a single poor season) away from the Lowland league. That's a demotion however you spin it.

If 3x 14's is the preferred option it has to be with at least a years notice so teams actually know what they're playing for.

And besides, 14 team leagues are pish anyway. They don't really solve the issue of playing teams too many times and either create awkward splits or uneven home/away fixtures. It's a truly horrid solution.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

If 3x 14's is the preferred option it has to be with at least a years notice so teams actually know what they're playing for.
And besides, 14 teams leagues are pish anyway. They don't really solve the issue of playing teams too many times and either create awkward splits or uneven home/away fixtures. It's a truly horrid solution.

Spot on!

Using your logic, if Clyde were promoted from the newly constructed league we would only be in the second bottom tier which is exactly where we are at the moment.

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

Understand what you're saying, but 3 x 14 has been touted as "for one season only" to accommodate the situation created by the virus.  So presumably the season after, the leagues will be reverted to 12 & 3 x 10 - bearing in mind they were set up that way as deemed the most competitive set up, which they are.

On that basis, Clyde, Peterhead, Forfar, Cove and possibly one or two others have a genuine grievance.  First obviously next season they're in the bottom tier.  But the most they can play for next season is promotion back into the reverted League 1 which is where they would have been next season anyway with an opportunity to push for promotion to the Championship.  That's a full season of opportunity taken away from them.  By comparison, many who will end up in the Premier and "Championship" next season can't believe their luck.

So when next season starts, all the clubs need to know what they're playing for.  Is the 3 x 14 one season only, or will it be another case of whichever way the wind's blowing.  That needs to be established and written in stone before the season begins.

Edited by BrigtonClyde

36 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Please, everybody calm down!

Clyde won't be getting relegated, they will simply be in the lowest league above Highland with no safety buffer from the drop, will be playing opposition from the league currently below them but not playing half of the better opposition from the league they are currently in, whilst enduring all of the financial ramifications which come along with this. Duh!

Remember, no matter which solution is proposed there will always be winners and losers, and sporting integrity must be maintained. Rather than relegate the poorest sides which have occupied bottom of their respective divisions for the majority of the season as would conventionally happen, it makes more sense to reorganise the entire structure of Scottish football at the forced conclusion of the season with absolutely no forewarning. It is unfortunate that three teams from League 1 and one from League 2 who would otherwise have been unaffected will directly suffer as a result, whilst the aforementioned poorest sides from their respective divisions retain immediate safety, but such is football. It would be completely unfair to use current rankings to demote teams when there are still outstanding fixtures remaining, but it is absolutely fair to use current rankings to “reallocate” teams when there are still outstanding fixtures remaining.

I hope this has cleared things up for everyone.

Exactly. I saw someone on Twitter saying Clyde, Peterhead, Forfar and Stranraer won’t be relegated but ten clubs will be promoted to somehow justify the move.

He was a Rangers fan which possibly explains something.

Not picking on you specifically Mountain Goat but could the compromise not be something to do with relegating the teams who were actually bottom of their league?

If we were put into the bottom 14 tier, there’s no way we could keep half the squad. And certainly no way to hold onto the quality that we have, contracted players aside.

There’s no way we’d win that league with Cove and Peterhead involved.

Another general point, if this happens and there are heaps of players on the free agents category, there will be chaos in teams trying to outbid each other for wages of the better players. Teams in precarious financial positions will either twist or literally go bust in trying to get promoted.

Not to mention the amount of money we have spent getting promoted to League 1 in the first place. To have that (And the amount we’ve spent staying there) taken away would be fucking scandalous. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

I say this knowing it will be unpopular and a little bit 'toys out the pram', however as it stands if they force through 14-14-14 with the help of the L2 clubs, then I will just save my money from away games, donate a bit more to Clyde and watch a bit more of Geoff every 2nd week.

I have no wish to trek to C'beath, Elgin or Coatbridge again. None.

Home form is even more impressive when you consider Goodwillie missed defeat to Montrose suspended, draw with Forfar ill and was subbed at halftime when clearly injured against Peterhead. 

Or less impressive when you realise we didn't come close to replacing him, with Syvertsen a huge loss.