Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Domino the Dug said:

There's nothing negative in fans voicing opinions. Indeed, many have said the same here about Saturday that they did in previous games we've won or drawn, and usually about the same players. Some even questioned the summer retention of two players mentioned quite a lot.

Clearly the supporters are discussing these, hoping those able to sort the particular problems have a bash at doing so, in order that the situation can improve. That's highly positive i'd say. A lot more so than ignoring them, or wishing others not to discuss them. 

Of course discussion can be healthy and positive if it is rational and constructive, but, on the back of a bad performance, there can too often be knee jerk negativity aimed at specific players, sometimes less than fairly, especially in our present predicament where many players are being asked to fill unaccustomed roles.

For instance there was a bit of flack aimed at Goodie after Saturday when it seemed obvious to me he was struggling from the effects of the knock he took early in the game. How can that be anything other than negative?

McStay prompts a lot of "discussion", understandably perhaps because he can be inconsistent, but I don't think his commitment can be questioned and we do get more good games than bad from him.( IMHO of course).

1 hour ago, LiviClyde said:

Of course discussion can be healthy and positive if it is rational and constructive, but, on the back of a bad performance, there can too often be knee jerk negativity aimed at specific players, sometimes less than fairly, especially in our present predicament where many players are being asked to fill unaccustomed roles.

For instance there was a bit of flack aimed at Goodie after Saturday when it seemed obvious to me he was struggling from the effects of the knock he took early in the game. How can that be anything other than negative?

McStay prompts a lot of "discussion", understandably perhaps because he can be inconsistent, but I don't think his commitment can be questioned and we do get more good games than bad from him.( IMHO of course).

I noticed the criticism too, but shouldn't it be directed *somewhere* if we are expecting miracles from the same club genie when he's literally getting his arse kicked, with no adequate replacement?

To be fair, no more than two players in recent games have been asked to take on unfamiliar roles, and even they being Lyon who's played RB more than midfield, and Duffie temporarily at left back (i am told). Petkov knew he was brought here as a CB. Their general body language and mindset may be altered by the obvious weaknesses which are appearing as the squad wilts further by the week, but one or two could be doing with toughening up a bit in that instance.

Petkov absolutely falls into the toughen up category. Nowhere near physical enough. 

I suppose that is the danger with development loans, it’s exactly what we generally get.. a player who is not ready. We were fortunate that with Banks last year he was a talented guy who it would seem was a good listener and developed brilliantly in a matter of weeks. Remember his appearance against Annan as sub where he looked totally  lost, given their physicality. Roll on a few weeks and the play off final; absolutely outstanding!

Don't see any of that in Petkov unfortunately.

38 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Looks like we will be getting 440 tickets for Bonnyrigg, 20% of stadium capacity.

Where's it been announced? I did see on Rose's twitter tickets are available from Sunday, but not a lot else. Eta saw website.

Edited by Domino the Dug

23 hours ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

We don’t have a u21s team and for the team that played lastnight thank fook. They were all signed late in the day to fill the team for this pointless fixture.

You do have a under 21 team..they play in the west of Scotland league...

6 hours ago, IR1970 said:

You do have a under 21 team..they play in the west of Scotland league...

5 hours ago, iain p said:

in name only.players not signed with clyde fc.

5 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It’s a community team. 

No squad list, profiles, fixture information or match updates on the official club site. At all. Which absolutely is fair enough, if it costs the club nothing financially or in manpower. However if by some miracle a better result was achieved, i'd expect those same distance being put between the foundation team and the club.

Aye, right! 

The youth side which ran up until around 2004 had their own section and information guides during that season's programme. I knew a few, personally. Whoever was paying them (the club, or others, or indeed if at all), they were bona fide, fully signed Clyde players. Mark Gilhaney quickly established himself in the team during winter/spring of 2003, John Baird, Billy Reid Jr and David Greenhill (among others) made (minimal) apps from the bench, and Paul Doyle became Simon Mensing's understudy during the 03/04 season. 

But of course, we should feel nothing but guilt over those days! 

Our affiliated youth side were being scudded left right and centre (including a 14-1 defeat to Ayr) last season or the one before. We haven’t produced anyone into the first team squad since about that time you mention and it was rightly binned.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

10 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Our affiliated youth side were being scudded left right and centre (including a 14-1 defeat to Ayr) last season or the one before. We haven’t produced anyone into the first team squad since about that time you mention and it was rightly binned.

As it should be, for all teams of our stature and a good few above, too. Even the likes of Thistle having one is a completely pointless exercise, even with their Pilsbury cash. 

The point is, its a team masquerading as a Clyde select when its just a boxticking venture for everyone concerned except the actual players who will be doing their best, in a field they'll sadly never succeed in. 

No offence intended to individuals, but It does look to be something which has no bearing or reputational press on the club, whether if good or bad results. Its not like if a player nets three hattricks or clean sheets he can simply join the first (ONLY!!) team, he's actually probably more likely to attract attention from better amateur or even Junior sides who would play him rather than sit on a bench while not being able to play for this Fdtn side. Producing a player for Clyde is far down the list of priorities, in any case. Just look at our bench until Tuesday. It's never been that busy on a Saturday!