Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Danny Lennon 10/1 for the ayr job, think weā€™ll need him to stick a 4th year on his contract just to be sure heā€™s not going there.Ā 

Imagine the nervous breakdowns if he did?Ā 

Ā 

It might almost be worth that alone!Ā 

Ā 

Nah, i jest. Bloody stupid of the bookies to stick him on the odds, tbh. Or maybe just plain ignorance, most likely. I've not looked, i'd expect Hughes to be involved though.

3 hours ago, David W said:

Highlights now appeared on the official site. I'm surprised we appealed to be honest; he's caught him flush in the face with his forearm.

We're each entitled to an opinion but I'm not sure it's an open and shut case. The ball was in the air, DGW is following the flight and is going for the ball he then holds back...by that time he is already committed and makes contact. He immediately holds his hand up.Ā 

If violent conduct is about intent, then only 1 person knows the intent; the rest of us have to guess.Ā  The Ā£250 is to dissuade clubs from appealing in general rather than punishing them for speculative or spurious requests. Worth amount in my view.

46 minutes ago, The Clyde Man said:

I would have to agree with you.

I totally disagree with both of you.

IMO both players started out going for the ball. On his way to challenge for the ballĀ Goody realised the Peterhead player was getting there first, and put his arms up to protect himself. No way was it "violent conduct". I can accept how it could be seen as endangering an opponentĀ by the way Goody protected himself, and a definite yellow - or even a soft red, but in no way was it "violent conduct" , which as far as I'm aware involves intent to injure anĀ opponent.

In the report of the game on the Peterhead website, it even mentions that some Peterhead playersĀ thought it was an accident.

If it had been a red for "dangerous play" would it only have been a 1 game suspension?

If so I think it was a reasonable call to appeal, but can't say I'm surprised we gotĀ SFA ;).Ā 

Agree with the above. Ā Thereā€™s no way thatā€™s violent conduct with intent to injure an opponent. Ā Maybe you canā€™t change the reason for the red card - only whether it should have been shown andĀ Clyde failed to argue that. Ā Wrongful dismissal, not wrong reason for dismissal.

Ā 

18 minutes ago, clyde4ever said:

I totally disagree with both of you.

IMO both players started out going for the ball. On his way to challenge for the ballĀ Goody realised the Peterhead player was getting there first, and put his arms up to protect himself. No way was it "violent conduct". I can accept how it could be seen as endangering an opponentĀ by the way Goody protected himself, and a definite yellow - or even a soft red, but in no way was it "violent conduct" , which as far as I'm aware involves intent to injure anĀ opponent.

In the report of the game on the Peterhead website, it even mentions that some Peterhead playersĀ thought it was an accident.

If it had been a red for "dangerous play" would it only have been a 1 game suspension?

If so I think it was a reasonable call to appeal, but can't say I'm surprised we gotĀ SFA ;).Ā 

1 match bans can only be for 2 yellow cards, denying a goalscoring opportunity or offensive language.

Serious foul play or violent conduct are the only two "straight red card" options that can apply here. I'd argue this incident is more serious foul play to be honest, but it's the same punishment regardless.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, WBR said:

Agree with the above. Ā Thereā€™s no way thatā€™s violent conduct with intent to injure an opponent. Ā Maybe you canā€™t change the reason for the red card - only whether it should have been shown andĀ Clyde failed to argue that. Ā Wrongful dismissal, not wrong reason for dismissal.

Violent conduct is defined as using excessive force against an opponent, when not challenging for the ball.Ā Ā "Intent to injure" isn't a factor.

I can see why they would describe that as excessive force (he doesn't need to have his arm like that; in protecting himself, he's endangering the Peterhead player) and I can also see why they would say he isn't challenging for the ball.

Ā