Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

8 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

But they literally only played yesterday!

No one else, to my knowledge, had players unavailable last week for international reasons.

Perhaps he walked it back.

Nobody else has internationals in their squad like us cause we are big time...

Seriously though, no idea why he had to miss saturday if they only played yesterday!

30 minutes ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

f**k it we didn’t concede any goals so no harm done 

He's been largely unavailable for a third of our games, until now (half, including the LC). I'm delighted if we're aiding the prospects of young, potentially future internationalists especially if we know the SFA coaching can't ruin any good work that goes into them. But the loan arrangement isn't exactly providing us with consistency. There's no way Rumsby-Howie should be broken up in present form, for example. And McStay had his best game since the second half v Edinburgh last week, further clogging up the midfield ahead of AP, in my view. 

44 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Nobody else has internationals in their squad like us cause we are big time...

Seriously though, no idea why he had to miss saturday if they only played yesterday!

Yes, it's very strange. 

I think intl' call ups are generally containing a 72 hour window release period, and of course they aren't played any longer in sync with the full teams competitions (ie u21 played the day before). I'd be interested to know why too.

When we are absolutely atrocious again in 5/10/20 years (delete as appropriate), I'll cope by watching the highlights of this team. Another fantastic day at Broadwood, and we're brilliant to watch in the process.

Very glad we’re finding our feet again after a shaky start. Additionally, I would like to withdraw any moaning about rubbish we are from a few weeks ago. We’re amazing again and Martin McNiff is the best left-back the world has ever seen.

What a great past couple of years. Loads of excellent games and comebacks in there too.

3 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

Hopefully we can get Wrexham away in the next round

Let's take care of the more localised adversaries first, if you please. 

As out-of-the-comfort-zone as Glenavon, Wrexham or Solihull may be, these are not teams, statistically or in status, better than any of our bread-and-butter opponents. Without exception. They're all semi-pro, for a start.

Christ, a trip to another stadium (Hampden excepted) with more than 500 seats and a roof was 'progress' upon where we were stationed four months ago. We've already been to four such stadia already (albeit down to works at HQ) without leaving the country. 

This is clearly a matter of standards. 

Edited by Domino the Dug

6 hours ago, David W said:

When we are absolutely atrocious again in 5/10/20 years (delete as appropriate), I'll cope by watching the highlights of this team. Another fantastic day at Broadwood, and we're brilliant to watch in the process.

Thing is David, just when we thought, after the League Cup and the first games of the league season, that it was maybe too much for us, we start to turn it around. And it’s largely the players who did it for us last year that are doing it. Today will be massive for our confidence.  

19 minutes ago, sydney said:

Thing is David, just when we thought, after the League Cup and the first games of the league season, that it was maybe too much for us, we start to turn it around. And it’s largely the players who did it for us last year that are doing it. Today will be massive for our confidence.  

Sydney, 

I doubt anyone ever considered our fate in the hands of anyone but those you mention. That doesn't mean the learning process hasn't even nearly reached the end. Anyone concerned either moderately or in the extreme is yet to be unanimously convicted of 'negativity', whatever that is, when it can be determined by volume.

Howie especially has evolved tremendously well in the regular season, for starters. McStay has gained fitness and confidence (ergo today's goal) in tandem, and Johnston, arguably the finest technician compatible with DG is mutating into a team player. We had this same issue, and all adjacent domestic arguments LAST autumn, too. These then, centred on starting our (at the time) technically and tactially poorest two centre-backs, and struggling to deploy Rankin. All came good in January, and we've grown since.

Any criticism leading to panic-slating of the manager's choices regards to budget this season were certainly well-founded back then too, with the acquisitions of wasters like Ferns, Gorman and Hopkirk. The fact that only Mitchell, of the initial four summer signings this year, and now also Howie are established starters, leaves this open to discussion. I'm enjoying this spell more than can be imagined, truly - but let's see where we are when we need to set the pace and direction from the off, starting next Saturday. Points mean prizes.

A few thoughts:

Does Danny start Johnston next week over Darren Smith?

Really hope we can keep Ray Grant, he is at the epicentre of everything Clyde FC. Mcstay and Lamont I had reservations about in League 1: but they have stepped up to the plate.

Well and truly shaken off the tag of being solely reliant on David Goodwillie. Granted he can turn a game with a modicum of brilliance, but the guys behind him are now producing the goods also.

Can't believe Clyde turned that around yesterday. What a buzz it must be to be part of the squad. Stranraer, Peterhead, Dumbarton and Montrose to conclude the first quarter: all winnable games to me on current form.

Edited by TheBigGuy