Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I honestly dont see why we are panicking. The 3 games in this cup have been against an SPL, Championship and League 1 side who have many full time players in their squad. We have just been promoted from League 2 and everyones expecting us to continue our winning form against teams far better than us.
In the friendlies we had a weakened side including trialists against Linlithgow, narrowly lost to Alloa who are a league above us and beat Bonnyrigg. 
We all need to remember where we are and where weve been for 10 years. We are a newly promoted side from the worst league in professional Scottish football and I'll be happy if we finish 8th this season and continue improving. It's all about realistic progress because we are no Gretna (thankfully!) And I fully trust Danny and Alan to sort us out and have a good season.
8th in div 1 is success ?

thats the same mentality that kept us in the bottom league for 10 years so following year 7th so we can expect a play off place in 5 years [emoji106]

27 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

thats the same mentality that kept us in the bottom league for 10 years so following year 7th so we can expect a play off place in 5 years emoji106.png

28 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

thats the same mentality that kept us in the bottom league for 10 years so following year 7th so we can expect a play off place in 5 years emoji106.png

&th? That’s what we’re aspiring to?

wonder if Arbroath had a bit more positivity around them when they went up?

34 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

If you are going to quote someone at least make it accurate, He never mentioned it being a success and you also decided to ignore the other half of the sentence mentioning continuing improving. 

How much would you like us to overspend to achieve your acceptable position?

If you are going to quote someone at least make it accurate, He never mentioned it being a success and you also decided to ignore the other half of the sentence mentioning continuing improving. 
How much would you like us to overspend to achieve your acceptable position?
well at least be accurate who mentioned an overspend ?

do you know the budget ? the manager mentioned loans from esteemed clubs his quote not mine.

2 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Not at all mate. Obviously I want us to get back into the Championship at the very least but if we consolidate our place in league 1 next season in 8th place and then challenge for promotion next season id take that!

League 1 is going to be a very tough and competitive league this season!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

I think we should be looking at making the playoffs next season. The minute we got the measure of airdrie’s number 8 we started to control the middle again and scored twice in ten minutes.

I don’t think Airdrie are actually much better than us, they were just fitter and had a bigger squad. We will be fine and definitely don’t need to resign ourselves to 8th imo

Guys, guys where have you been?

We have conceded 3 goals in every cup match, we lost to a junior side, manageress Alloa and QoS behind closed doors. 

We have shown some spirit at 3-2 down in the last 2 games, but if there's a hole in the bucket, it doesn't matter how much we keep trying to fill it up!  If we aim to get out league 1 with a league 2 defence the danger is we end up where our level of defensive ability is: league 2. This is real and not just pessimism.

It’s been mentioned by São Paulo and a couple of other posters but we should be going 352 with the players at our disposal.

Having mcniff howie and rumsby as a tighter 3 at the back would prevent mcniff being caught out in the channels all the time and allow him to defend first and foremost. It would also suit Howie to let mcniff and rumsby be the aggressive ball winners and aerial battlers and he can sweep. He looks good on the ball and drives forward well but lacks a little in the air from what I’ve seen.

Cuddihy would be a stick on for RwB with maybe Wallace or a new signing for LWB.

Go something like:
Michell

Rumsby howie mcniff

Cuddihy grant mcstay Wallace

Johnstone

Goodie Norway

There's a reason Kevin Keegan never won a proper trophy as manager, and so i understand fully how suggesting our decent attacking options can help with the defensive shambles is a little naive. However we've gone into these games shorn of two defenders who've only been one quarter replaced, and the full-time aspect does have a telling impact. We are getting better as games go on, but as said, we're two or three down by then, and a good team could easily add to that if we're not careful.

I wouldn't be picking a number yet either for accepted league position. I did say top four as a target with two specific additions, based purely oj the fact that almost half the league gets a chance of promotion. We'll just need to wait and see how this pans out. 

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

It’s been mentioned by São Paulo and a couple of other posters but we should be going 352 with the players at our disposal.

Having mcniff howie and rumsby as a tighter 3 at the back would prevent mcniff being caught out in the channels all the time and allow him to defend first and foremost. It would also suit Howie to let mcniff and rumsby be the aggressive ball winners and aerial battlers and he can sweep. He looks good on the ball and drives forward well but lacks a little in the air from what I’ve seen.

Cuddihy would be a stick on for RwB with maybe Wallace or a new signing for LWB.

Go something like:
Michell

Rumsby howie mcniff

Cuddihy grant mcstay Wallace

Johnstone

Goodie Norway

If you're going that route (which i dont disagree with in principle), wouldn't we be more effective and direct with Johnston DG plus one as a front three, or two supporting one? Our midfield while not in great form is very mobile and versatile too, and giving CJ and Norway/Smith plenty of room to attack in adds further width and creativity. I wouldnt stifle CJ in midfield, tbh.

4 minutes ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

We have been in League Two for 9 seasons and that isn’t us now a league one side, as much as I do expect us to be top half this season to finish 8th to me would definitely progress, anything bar relegation and I will be a happy man 

On the 2nd of May, i'd agree. But we clearly have the tools to be doing much better than that, before a ball is even kicked. Giving FT, higher league opponents a game, but taking no points, is in my view better and more valuable than beating the shit out of even QP on Sunday. Yes, wins would be nice, but McNiff would still look out of place opposite Cuddihy, and our conversion rate would likely still be piss-poor for the % of chances created. 

Someone posted about EF and Montrose recent wins, i'm pretty sure that each season we've claimed a proper scalp (ie defeated higher opponents, draws dont count!) especially in this competition, we've generally finished up the season bathed in mediocrity. Nothing relevant in comparing results at this stage. If there were, you'd be lumping on Dumbarton as odds on certs to go down.

We have been in League Two for 9 seasons and that isn’t us now a league one side, as much as I do expect us to be top half this season to finish 8th to me would definitely progress, anything bar relegation and I will be a happy man 
did we get relegated ?

I genuinely think if we get in a couple of good loan players in defence we can make the play offs . suppose its as ever differing opinions i do think 8th is aiming a bit low

but if we were 5 points adrift at the bottom come xmas we would all be delighted with 8th [emoji6]

lets hope we are all wrong and win the league by 10 points [emoji16]

Do we think Callum Booth is an unrealistic target for left back? Been released from his last 2 clubs in the Championship which makes me think a fellow club from that division might not want him.

Edited by C. Muir