Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

To be fair to McNiff, Duffie would have been roasted just as badly tonight if he hadn't had Cuddihy playing in front of him. Even Cuddihy wouldn't have done much better himself, but the two of them working hard on the same wing meant they just about got away with it, most of the time. 

McNiff was left 2 or sometimes 3 on 1 at times tonight. You could also see by his pass that he sliced right out the park, he just looked shot for confidence and kind of fed up being asked to do something he's not suited to.

There were some decent performances though (Rumsby, Mitchell & Wallace mainly). We're frustratingly close to having a very good side at the moment.

Also need Goodwillie fit, as tonight showed he's a long way off yet.

both full backs dreadful mcniff was so bad it made duffie look remotely compotent and that aint easy , duffie will spend most of the season on the bench just like the last two no idea why he was resigned , as for mcniff lennon just keeps playing him no matter what

as said johnston great player to watch , wallace looking good and goalkeeper looks very assured Grant played well

Going forward lots of positive at the back just shut your eyes everytime the ball comes near our box

ps mitchell looks a right good goalkeeper

Not much to add, obvious where the problems lie at the back , apart from that we look fairly well equipped for L1.

I'm quite sure Danny and Alan are well aware of what we need and will be working on getting it sorted before the EF game.

Never easy losing at Firhell, but could have been a whole lot worse !

8 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Not much to add, obvious where the problems lie at the back , apart from that we look fairly well equipped for L1.

I'm quite sure Danny and Alan are well aware of what we need and will be working on getting it sorted before the EF game.

Never easy losing at Firhell, but could have been a whole lot worse !

Being aware of something and doing something about it are 2 different things. The defence frailties have been apparent since our visit to Linlithgow 3 weeks ago and we start the league campaign in 10 days. 

I'm not convinced we have a solution. That may be lack of £, we may not have  replacements in mind, or we think it's just not a problem.

Mitchell looks a good keeper ( as long as he's stops punching balls that could be caught easily )

Duffie is a decent substitute , as  much as I appreciate McNiff's  efforts and goals last season, we need a LB pronto.

Jury is out on Howie, far better last night , but Thistle attacked down the wings, still think we need another CB.

Rumsby had a good game .  Wallace  was solid enough , Grant had a good game, Cuddihy is our right FB far more effective

than he is in MF.  Johnston great player, would like to see him playing No10 roll, wasted on the wing.

Norway has the skills but far to weak, easily bullied off the ball. Goodwillie not fit yet.

Thought Fitzpatrick looked decent when he came on.

Hope DL has loan deals in mind ,  2 or 3 in the right places we could have a good season in L1 

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Being aware of something and doing something about it are 2 different things. The defence frailties have been apparent since our visit to Linlithgow 3 weeks ago and we start the league campaign in 10 days. 

I'm not convinced we have a solution. That may be lack of £, we may not have  replacements in mind, or we think it's just not a problem.

Loan players (not registered in time) and trialists would not have been able to play int he League Cup anyway, so we may well have players currently training with us who would be able to come  in for the League Campaign..

At least that is my hope, time will tell.

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Why don’t you sing it at your next home game? See how your manager reacts.

Pish trollin', from the "one team in Glasgow" who shift the whole stadium around when the other two come to town! 

He's never once mentioned it (Moore neither), maybe like grown adults they just get on with the task in hand instead of demonstrating asinine snowflakery. 

Oh, and bugger off out the thread. 

iVery few songs are thrown up on sight, they're normally pre-planned. And plenty shite ones get drowned out when others sing over them. Would that be an idea? A sing-off between the Right and Centre stands? Could be a crushing defeat in there!

It is strange that Cheer Up....isn't being hounded, if singing about jl is the offensive aspect. A fairly weird moral compass among some.

Fitba'-

BWCFC mentioned a possibility that this current situ isn't even considered a problem, and he might be on to something. Its easy to point at losing to 2 and a half FT teams, by 1 goal twice, and i very much doubt that Lennon would persevere esp with Niff if he didnt feel he can morph him into a orthodox left back.

Bear in mind, our disastrous autumn spell last season (won 2 of 8 games!) was largely brushed off as a cultural shift which would come good in the end. He didn't throw the baby or the bathwater out then, and i cant see that happening now. It simply then can only be personnel issues, if the standard fire-alarm procedure is to remain calm. 

Wallace arguably is the best option to 'protect' any unsure left-back, either on the left of a three or four, but i felt he took the game to that bunch very well and might even be the more natural foil for Grant than anyone else. Then, what of McStay and Rankin when fit, and if CJ continues in the support role rather than wide? I'm not complaining that we have options in places and f**k-all in others, but these flaws are supposed to be covered by the formation. And nothing is changing.

I honestly dont see why we are panicking. The 3 games in this cup have been against an SPL, Championship and League 1 side who have many full time players in their squad. We have just been promoted from League 2 and everyones expecting us to continue our winning form against teams far better than us.

In the friendlies we had a weakened side including trialists against Linlithgow, narrowly lost to Alloa who are a league above us and beat Bonnyrigg. 

We all need to remember where we are and where weve been for 10 years. We are a newly promoted side from the worst league in professional Scottish football and I'll be happy if we finish 8th this season and continue improving. It's all about realistic progress because we are no Gretna (thankfully!) And I fully trust Danny and Alan to sort us out and have a good season.

18 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I honestly dont see why we are panicking. The 3 games in this cup have been against an SPL, Championship and League 1 side who have many full time players in their squad. We have just been promoted from League 2 and everyones expecting us to continue our winning form against teams far better than us.

In the friendlies we had a weakened side including trialists against Linlithgow, narrowly lost to Alloa who are a league above us and beat Bonnyrigg. 

We all need to remember where we are and where weve been for 10 years. We are a newly promoted side from the worst league in professional Scottish football and I'll be happy if we finish 8th this season and continue improving. It's all about realistic progress because we are no Gretna (thankfully!) And I fully trust Danny and Alan to sort us out and have a good season.

I think the fact that the issues presented are fairly obvious, but continuing ahead as we are in a similar vein to last autumn only this time against decent opponents, is whats raising the alarm. Its funny, but had we won last night, or kept a clean sheet, it wouldn't have changed a single opinion among most posters/supporters, and they'd be correct to stand by their concerns.

I'm really unsure if in our first year out of the dog shite league, we can afford to be too parochial over 'the journey'.  Some organisation, proper training routines, and keeping players motivated (some of whom had theirs completely stripped from them prior to Lennons appt) have us looking and even sometimes acting like a proper team again. There's obviously a bias here, but i see no need to nail ambitions to the floor and always remember that we're really just shite, with the odd dab of mediocre. Two additions, top four and nothing less should be the aim.