Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

10 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

Not saying that whatsoever, i've already outlined one alternative (which we'd never try anyway) that encompasses our short defensive numbers and the fact he's still neither a CB or a LB by trade, but strangely a left sided defender. Throwing ANOTHER defender at this, increasing the mayhem, in place of vastly technically superior creative players, is the true definition of 'fucking mental' as i've heard so far, albeit several mentioned it before you. 

If I remember righly, Tony McNally, in the spirit of making the best of what we had, switched to a 3-5-2 on taking the reins from Chapman (away to Stenny), and got us a point, conceding only one goal where before we'd be averaging nearly three shipped each game. Think we started with Home, Munro and McNiff in a tight three, with Stewart and Lowden as wing-backs, the latter on his wrong-side. Or it might've been Wright, I can't mind.

You can walk-back that "fucking mental" charge any time.

Edited by Sao Paulo

2 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

If I remember righly, Tony McNally, in the spirit of making the best of what we had, switched to a 3-5-2 on taking the reins from Chapman (away to Stenny), and got us a point, conceding only one goal where before we'd be averaging nearly three shipped each game. Think we started with Home, Munro and McNiff in a tight three, with Stewart and Lowden as wing-backs, the latter on his wrong-side. Or it might've been Wright, I can't mind.

Lowdon played in centre midfield in that game.

10 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

What comprised our midfield and supporting options at the time?

If you're about to make the point that we'd a poverty of such options under McNally and that we'd now be 'wasting' too many good midfield or forward players by reason of committing another one to the centre of defence, consider that we'd gain a partner (Syvertsen/Smith) for Goodwillie in doing so and retain the services - when in possession - of Cuddihy, Wallace/Duffie - as wing-backs - McStay, Grant and Johnston in the midfield.

It clearly wouldn't be a "fucking mental" trade off and we really know now that four at the back, almost however configured, will have us leaking 2-3 goals a game. It's Thistle we're playing next, away. We'll get a roasting at Firhill if we play four at the back.

Edited by Sao Paulo

52 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

If you're about to make the point that we'd a poverty of such options under McNally and that we'd now be 'wasting' too many good midfield or forward players by reason of committing another one to the centre of defence, consider that we'd gain a partner (Syvertsen/Smith) for Goodwillie in doing so and retain the services - when in possession - of Cuddihy, Wallace/Duffie - as wing-backs - McStay, Grant and Johnston in the midfield.

It clearly wouldn't be a "fucking mental" trade off and we really know now that four at the back, almost however configured, will have us leaking 2-3 goals a game. It's Thistle we're playing next, away. We'll get a roasting at Firhill if we play four at the back.

You know what they say is the mother of all f**k-ups. Miles off.

Just for clarification, with no obvious change to the starting team, McNiff logically would be left of the defence in your alteration? The same position which Jim Chapman had him in, and this fact then used as a grandstanding effect on the debate, presumably to play on the "Chapman's an arsehole" squadron, so as to vindicate McNiff as indeed a brilliant CB to the easily pleased. Is that where MM then, would fit? 

In the highly likely event Lennon sticks rigidly to the four, the very fact McNiff is this terrific CB, being jigged out left, should be strengthening us in this position, not weakening us so badly as it does. My take on adding another defender to this, was simply that if McNiff was to continue to be used as an aerial attacking presence, most likeky from wing-back, then any protection would be required behind him , not in front of him. I'm a massive 3 at the back fan, but not in the conventional, dull manner it is played generally among those who can't or won't grapple with the abstract. Which is now what we're into having to do, with the current personnel.

1 hour ago, dave_binos said:

I don't think you have picked him up too late. The great thing about Smith is his ability to play up front and on the wing. One of his assets is not only scoring goals and taking players on but the ability to track back as well. There will be times where he is completely anonymous, things aren't going his way and he may look disinterested (don't believe that's the case either) but will then pop up with a match winner. If Clyde's forward players are as good as a lot of you are saying, Smith will help contribute throughout the season.

In other news, thank you for Blair Currie. He looked brilliant against Hibs and in the matches I saw him last season. Lowdon and Nichol also look like decent signings once fully fit. 

Good to hear Dave, looks like yesterday's game was one of those where he did look disinterested!

Glad to hear the ex Clyde boys are doing well, especially Blair who made a massive contribution last year. Many Clyde fans were surprised we let him go, good luck to the lad 👍.

With Nicoll, I did feel he might struggle in L1, but was a big fan of him, another who has the goodwill of the Bully Wee fans for his commitment and never say die attitude in ths last couple of seasons.

Good luck this year 👍

5 hours ago, Domino the Dug said:

If he were a good CH last season, he'd not have been shifted!!

If I remember correctly McNiff started as a CH, got injured and was replaced with Cogill who was playing very well and making that position his own until injury forced him out also. Rumsby and Lang immediately become a great partnership after that and obviously stayed together. With our problems last year with Stewart's injury/ illness,  LB was a position Danny needed to address and McNiff slotted in quite well and added an outstanding number of goals.  I think it was just circumstances that he moved positions not his ability at CH.

36 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

If I remember correctly McNiff started as a CH, got injured and was replaced with Cogill who was playing very well and making that position his own until injury forced him out also. Rumsby and Lang immediately become a great partnership after that and obviously stayed together. With our problems last year with Stewart's injury/ illness,  LB was a position Danny needed to address and McNiff slotted in quite well and added an outstanding number of goals.  I think it was just circumstances that he moved positions not his ability at CH.

McNiff also regularly played at left-back, in a four, during 2016/17. He wasn't just randomly thrown in to the position. 

If the circumstances involved a strong defensive pairing mustering a dozen clean sheets in four months retiring him, then of course it stands to reason that the form prior to that of MM at CB comes under further damning scrutiny. This isn't a fingerpointing or sherricking, just facts. To quote Sao himself, Lennon is far from infallible, and regularly defended XXX-rated horror flicks throughout last autumn. Perhaps he also didn't spot that MM and SR were (and are) just completely incompatible, and maybe a quirk of nature (Niff being left-footed perhaps, on top of the two sustained injuries) resulted in him shunting out, while Rumsby retained his place. 

But did circumstances play the main part in Lennon nailing down Howie, AND mostly starting him, despite McNiff's availability? I'd wager No. A strong commanding CB can always mop up for a poorer full-back. If he was better than Howie, he'd have started in there by now. Full circle. 

54 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

But did circumstances play the main part in Lennon nailing down Howie, AND mostly starting him, despite McNiff's availability? I'd wager No. A strong commanding CB can always mop up for a poorer full-back. If he was better than Howie, he'd have started in there by now. Full circle. 

I think it is a bit too early to tell if Howie is a better CB than MM, watching him yesterday I would say atm, No. Who knows DL's reasons for playing Howie ahead of McNiff, perhaps he knows all he needs to know about McNiff and still learning about Howie ?? Possibly  neither of the two will start once the season get underway as I am lead to believe Petkov from Hearts is coming in on loan along with another CB and a LB.

the defence is getting pelters for yesterday
yes at times didnt look that assured , but not a mention of how the goals are conceeded grant turns his back jumps wjth his arm above his head 2nd goal grant ( sure it was him ) again lets the guy run from the half way line leaving howie virtually no option but to foul the guy , why doesnt a midfielder or a forward go to the edge of box, the third goal mcstay loses the ball barely can be bothered running back , as soon as he lost it should have fouled took the booking. Howie in partucular is getting a hard time think a few were far more culpable than him yesrerday .Yes we do need another CB and left back . sure lennon will sort it fairly quickly

2 hours ago, maxruby said:

With regard to a previous post, what’s the difference?

Oftentimes a strategy thinks long-term. For instance, when we hustled the hell out of Celtic in the cup circa 13 years ago, I'd call that a tactic as opposed to a strategy. We couldn't hope to replicate it every week. Another example would be when Barry Ferguson did the whole 'high tempo start' thing and notched some early goals, but it eventually wore out as a means to an end. Same follows for having a big player out on the wings to win knock-downs. The other teams, if they're any kind of clever, read it and stick their biggest defender out there.

If you whack in 'difference between tactics and strategy' to Google, you'll see that it's not really a technical or academic thing. Most sports, disciplines, jobs - whatever - recognise the difference.

Missing tonights game but really hope we keep it tight cause it's bad enough losing to those c***s never mind if we get a hounding. Would be very surprised if goodie is on the bench but maybe danny doesn't want to risk him for the start of the season

2 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Missing tonights game but really hope we keep it tight cause it's bad enough losing to those c***s never mind if we get a hounding. Would be very surprised if goodie is on the bench but maybe danny doesn't want to risk him for the start of the season

The games tomorrow. 

but wouldnt imagine very good for sales  

unless someone is buying a second or third strip

To be honest was expecting that reply but majority o ppl that would have bought nee strips probably same guys and gals already commited to BWF. ST and other commitments connected to club before or during season... 

Got to draw line somewhere asking same supporters to shell out and completely fine with this set up even though im not the biggest fan but like broadwood its grown on me slowly buy surely