Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

A leftback is the clear priority, far behind a centreback.
I'd hope we start games with the lineup we finished with. Give Johnston the free role in the middle, with no defensive responsibilities. Lamont & Wallace on the wings, who work much harder than Johnston & Smith, who provide no cover.
Wallace on the left would give us some physicallity and lessen the need for McNiff at left back.
There were defensive mistakes in the build up but ultimately Grant gave away a cheap penalty, anyone (though probably Grant again) should have tracked the run at the freekick, and McStay (having done well to get the ball) gave it away so easily in an awful position.

I was quite impressed with Clyde especially Johnston and Goodwillie for first 20 Clyde were the better team but Airdrie controlled rest of first half.Clyde got back into the game courtesy of the referee for a penalty where even the Clyde players were bewildered.Airdrie manager made a couple of poor subs when Airdrie were coasting Johnston and Goodwillie controlled the game and the Diamonds were glad when final whistle blew.

5 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

1st pic looks like Qots v Clyde. Season we won league...

Aye, makes sense. Photos are apparently from league winning side. 

I only recognised McGarvey and Knox at first. 

Anybody know the other players?

Poor today especially at the back and a lot of that was due to a poor performance from McNiff which for me unsettled the whole defence. He will he fine at CH but we desperately need a lett back and I'm sure DL will be aware of this.

McStay and Smith were also either anonymous or making too many mistakes (McStay example 3rd goal).

Positives: the fightback, and subs who made a big difference (yes, including Lyons !). As for Chris Johnston, different class and will be a major player for us this season.

These games should be used to get us up to speed for the League campaign, and I'm sure the management team will be looking to bring in the players we need, probably via loan deals.

In Danny we trust. Keep the faith!

7 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

Can guarantee you that our defence will secure at least a decent number of clean sheets this season. One competitive game against an SPL side and folk are writing them off already. I thought they looked decent, were genuinely unlucky with the first two goals, albeit at fault for the third.

I also thought Howie was last man for the third as well

On Wednesday there were a couple of opportunities to clear before the ball fell to McMann for the first and for the second it was a shoddy original clearence from I can't remember who, some call it unlucky, others call it bad defending. Whatever it is, we need vast improvements there regardless. Wasn't there today but by the sounds of it the defence were poor again. I trust Lennon will bring in what's necessary but until that happens, we'll be lucky to get 1 clean sheet never mind "a decent number".

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

To those who say it'll be alright on the night, when the season starts proper...

Goal 1defensive error, poor clearance ball comes back and we lose a soft pen

Goal 2 Caught in left side of defence. Gave away clumsy free kick and asleep at the resultant free kick

Goal 3 Attack breaks down on our right we lose ball and get caught in procession on left side of defense.

There is NO EVIDENCE DL has this in hand. He knew we were losing Coghill and must have strongly suspected we were not going to retain Lang. A replacement CB would have my no1 priority.

What kind of evidence are you looking for? Confirmation That he’s speaking to clubs about releasing surplus players after Betfred? Confirmation That he realises where the weakness may be?  

McNiff alongside Rumsby? 

Some clearly sampled many of the local narcotic delights this afternoon, if that is a serious suggestion. 

They were a complete shambles together in the dozen or so pairings, in a far inferior league, playing at times against immotivated jobbers, and conceding at alarming rates.

Neither was particularly at fault, it was simply a partnership made in hell, but for Christ's sake lets hope the Clyde management don't seek advice like this.

35 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Poor today especially at the back and a lot of that was due to a poor performance from McNiff which for me unsettled the whole defence. He will he fine at CH 

Sorry Mac, disagree, for me both Cogill & Lang were ahead of him at CB.  At L2 level could understand the shift in at LB where he did well & contributed. Said a few weeks back we needed a defence at least as good as last season, but probably a little stronger.  We're currently weaker.

We need a LB & CB. We've shipped far too many goals & a weak defence is corrosive on the rest of the team.  DL will know this so trust him to address.  

As for Smith, proven goalscorer, not a winger. You create chances for guys like that & Goodie in the box they score.  

Bottom line, put a tight defence behind all we have in midfield & up front, job done

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

To those who say it'll be alright on the night, when the season starts proper...

Goal 1defensive error, poor clearance ball comes back and we lose a soft pen

Goal 2 Caught in left side of defence. Gave away clumsy free kick and asleep at the resultant free kick

Goal 3 Attack breaks down on our right we lose ball and get caught in procession on left side of defense.

There is NO EVIDENCE DL has this in hand. He knew we were losing Coghill and must have strongly suspected we were not going to retain Lang. A replacement CB would have my no1 priority.

A slightly more comprehensive version of FreddyFry's "we'll concede anyway" remark, but even so, the entitlement is ripe here. 

Do you really believe a man of Lennon's abilities to build football teams, has neglected the glaringly obvious factors being repeatedly slungshot, for shits and giggles? All three conceded goals today, were shite. I don't know if we'll continue to concede shite goals like this, or if our regular opponents will slice and dice us to shreds and score 'good' goals instead. We'll find out, soon. 

But what i do know, from what i have witnessed, is that the foretelling of the skilled, creative talents' heads going down at conceding, based on today, is absolute bollocks. We were far more dangerous while on the precipice of one mistake leading to 0-4, 1-4 or 2-4, than we EVER were at 0-0, 0-1 or 0-2. This commitment to playing style, albeit with our best player being central to the comeback (imagine that- your best footballer, inspiring his teammates?)  may or may not be a character trait Lennon seeks in his signings which hasn't yet manifested in the available options.

Or he may carry a blind-spot to McNiff at LB, in the consideration that his goal credits outweigh his debits, if he can get the system and delivery method correct. 

Two games in, against better quality opponents than we've faced for a year, is no time to judge. We only really properly fused together as a team last year, around Xmas time. Team selections and pairings back this factoid up, rather well.

19 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Sorry Mac, disagree, for me both Cogill & Lang were ahead of him at CB.  At L2 level could understand the shift in at LB where he did well & contributed. Said a few weeks back we needed a defence at least as good as last season, but probably a little stronger.  We're currently weaker.

We need a LB & CB. We've shipped far too many goals & a weak defence is corrosive on the rest of the team.  DL will know this so trust him to address.  

As for Smith, proven goalscorer, not a winger. You create chances for guys like that & Goodie in the box they score.  

Bottom line, put a tight defence behind all we have in midfield & up front, job done

Essentially agree regarding the defence, needs to be a lot better and the McNiff argument yeh possibly, maybe I'm blinded by the contribution goal wise from the guy, which possibly exaggerates his capabilities at CH,  but I do think hes capable in that position.

Did remark same thing today regarding recruitment, and I think everyone would welcome both a CB and LB.

Regarding Smith I thought he looked weak, and even disinterested today (maybe harsh), could it be that at 32 we have picked him up too late ? Dearly hope I'm wrong, and plenty time for him to prove that's not the case.

Regardless I think DL is entitled to some leeway, and confident will get it right In the long term.

25 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Regarding Smith I thought he looked weak, and even disinterested today (maybe harsh), could it be that at 32 we have picked him up too late ? Dearly hope I'm wrong, and plenty time for him to prove that's not the case.

Possibly yes

Lennon continually says he hasnt finished recruitment so lets see where we are come start of the season. I thought for parts of the game we played well . lost some poor goals as highlighted by the manager so think he os aware of where we need to strengthen.