Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Cheers.

The positives?

Can’t read too much into friendlies but thought Smith and Syversten looked good. Grant as always never lost the ball and looked a class above in the first half. Howie looked a lot more calm tonight and even though we conceded 3 goals I thought he looked good. The other 2 trialists (Robertson and East Stirling one) came of the bench and didn’t do anything to impress and I wouldn’t particularly want them back but we’ll see.

The two trialists aren’t good enough. 

Played some really nice football at times. Going forward we look good & especially when you consider we’ve still got Goodwillie to come into the side. Defensively we were pretty sloppy at times but again management looked to be trying a few things out. Another good workout for the team & for large parts of the game we looked comfortable & in control. 

I have no concerns at all about our squad or the season ahead. When the real stuff kicks off we’ll be more than ready! 

Also worth noting Ross Lyon came on for the 2nd half & played very well. Certainly showed he’s got some talent & hopefully with a good pre season under his belt can contribute this season. 

Don’t imagine any Alloa supporters will be reading this but who was their big number 5? Old looking boy but effective & won everything in the air. 

Regarding dross, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sean Higgins.

I'll never understand why Higgins and McLaughlin had their contracts extended.

Both have decent interviews on Craig Telfer’s pele podcast. Makes me feel quite bad for them tbh. Club was a total shit show

Trialist from East stirling.[emoji23].

Gather Budget is indeed up then

Wouldn’t assume that. Probs just trying to poach cheap talent / rotation players. We will have things in the works, especially if we were offering Lang a deal (which no doubt would’ve been the biggest wage packet on offer) and it was rejected

Wouldn’t read too much into the results, friendlies all about fitness and getting some game time for the new guys to get into the team.

I remember us having brilliant pre-seasons, the likes of beating hibs 3-0 then getting relegated. 

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Where are we playing The Bone and how has he looked? I will be re-branding when the squad photos are taken and, although not essential, would prefer it if he were deployed in a role in which he will body folk and perform exceptionally.

He played nominally on the left side of midfield. Moved central after the last subs. As you know, we are very fluid when in possession so he moved inside a lot. Did okay without dazzling, and completely riled up the Alloa number 8 who should probably have been sent off for swinging both a foot and a fist at him.

We have such an amount of riches in midfield and up front. Syvertsen was superb. Smith I thought was poor but has high quality, good movement and always a threat. Johnston fits our team well. Throw Goodwillie, Grant and Rankin into the front 6 and I don't know what the starting eleven is.

The worry is the backline. Mitchell was fine tonight but Grant should never have to play at the back and despite being class was at fault for the second. Fitzpatrick cost us the opener. The third saw us fail to clear a corner despite a few opportunities. Howie was decent on the ball which we need but didn't really have much chance to impress one-on-one defensively. Didn't win all his headers either. We are really good at giving our centre halves the minimum to do. Losing our best two centre halves and our best (if always unavailable) left back hasn't been fixed.

Left back trialist will surely be off. Don't see the point in the winger. 

5 minutes ago, David W said:

He played nominally on the left side of midfield. Moved central after the last subs. As you know, we are very fluid when in possession so he moved inside a lot. Did okay without dazzling, and completely riled up the Alloa number 8 who should probably have been sent off for swinging both a foot and a fist at him.

We have such an amount of riches in midfield and up front. Syvertsen was superb. Smith I thought was poor but has high quality, good movement and always a threat. Johnston fits our team well. Throw Goodwillie, Grant and Rankin into the front 6 and I don't know what the starting eleven is.

The worry is the backline. Mitchell was fine tonight but Grant should never have to play at the back and despite being class was at fault for the second. Fitzpatrick cost us the opener. The third saw us fail to clear a corner despite a few opportunities. Howie was decent on the ball which we need but didn't really have much chance to impress one-on-one defensively. Didn't win all his headers either. We are really good at giving our centre halves the minimum to do. Losing our best two centre halves and our best (if always unavailable) left back hasn't been fixed.

I am EXTREMELY pleased to hear it. He seems like a real arsehole, and we really needed one of those - particularly with King Kev now gone. 

It's funny how it's gone; last season we were overstocked at the back (particularly centre-back) and in the midfield, and this season it's up front (particularly the wide areas) and in midfield. All the guys we've added are fairly versatile, too, which is a bonus. So much competition and cover, which can only be a good thing.

It's not time to smash the panic button yet, and the re-signing of McStay is as important to our defensive strength as a good Lang replacement is, but the left side of defence is the only area I'm not really happy with. The guys we've brought in so far are all clear and obvious improvements on the guys who've left, and we've retained all but one of the players we wanted to keep - it's been great business so far, overall, but we're still two good additions away from being a promotion-challenging side in my opinion. 

As I've said before, I highly doubt we'll have spunked all the budget quite yet, especially given the offer on the table to Lang and our present lack of defensive numbers. There won't be a lot of free agents of any repute available for trials at this stage, and our best bets will be loan targets (a few weeks to go before finalising anything on that front, I'd imagine) or guys who, come August, haven't had the FT offers they were hoping for. With the manager and squad we've got, I can't see us being anywhere near the bottom really. We should be aiming to make the promotion play-offs, though. 

I am EXTREMELY pleased to hear it. He seems like a real arsehole, and we really needed one of those - particularly with King Kev now gone. 
It's funny how it's gone; last season we were overstocked at the back (particularly centre-back) and in the midfield, and this season it's up front (particularly the wide areas) and in midfield. All the guys we've added are fairly versatile, too, which is a bonus. So much competition and cover, which can only be a good thing.
It's not time to smash the panic button yet, and the re-signing of McStay is as important to our defensive strength as a good Lang replacement is, but the left side of defence is the only area I'm not really happy with. The guys we've brought in so far are all clear and obvious improvements on the guys who've left, and we've retained all but one of the players we wanted to keep - it's been great business so far, overall, but we're still two good additions away from being a promotion-challenging side in my opinion. 
As I've said before, I highly doubt we'll have spunked all the budget quite yet, especially given the offer on the table to Lang and our present lack of defensive numbers. There won't be a lot of free agents of any repute available for trials at this stage, and our best bets will be loan targets (a few weeks to go before finalising anything on that front, I'd imagine) or guys who, come August, haven't had the FT offers they were hoping for. With the manager and squad we've got, I can't see us being anywhere near the bottom really. We should be aiming to make the promotion play-offs, though. 

So do you really think our offer to Lang was anywhere close to full time football at Dunfermline?

Some of the assumptions here are brilliant patter. Comedy writers standard in certain cases!

The left side is a clear issue, but it was so before a ball was kicked, based on the skeleton staff at the back. Panic buttons over a couple of friendlies is a bit much, gentlemen.

I'm sure the club contractually are obliged to keep offers to players open in the case of u23/24s (whichever age it is) in order to recieve a comp fee. If we removed those, we'd get nothing. And it only need be a contract of equal, not necessarily greater amount. It can be offered purely with this mind, even if accepting a player's wish to move. No one is going to actively offer deals, unless budgeted for.

Leaving numbers out of this for the smartypants posters to gain relevance, yes it would seem the balance of Tom Lang's wage and the fee received is no longer simply a wage budget issue. We released 7 players, and signed four- i can't imagine the combined figures of both groups to be that different as we're signing three very good players and adding a keeper this year too, having shipped out (Coggill excepted) fringe players and proven dross. DC is a conundrum himself, as he ticks a very important box, but the decision has been made.

The re-signed players certainly deserve a raise, whether or not they got one, and so perhaps we simply ARE waiting on two or three making up their minds. At least in that case, we're in the rat race, instead of filling up on cast offs in July. Let's hope the rats win.

I’ve not seen him in action yet but Lennon obviously feels he can mould him into something. Certainly still young enough so hopefully with a few games under his belt he adjusts to this level.

He looked a bit shaky on Saturday at Linlithgow but last night he was a lot better on the ball and also brought the ball up the pitch a few times. He ended up scoring a goal by starting the move from defence and ending it with a nice volley just a shame Wallace was offside so it didn’t count. Not much to say about his defending ability yet as it’s only pre-season but he looks an exciting prospect.

3 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Haven’t seen howie yet but seems he’s maybe not the best in the air, however fairly good on the ball. 

Story coming out we’re looking to get hearts midfielder Alex Petkov on loan. 

Hearts site has him as a Central Defender.

Would make more sense, as we definitely don't need another midfielder!