Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Hi, 

I'm currently doing a report as part of my coursework for Uni and I'm talking about the alienation and commodification in football, I'm speaking about the Wimbledon/MK Dons case and how the move alienated the fans, how did Clyde fans feel about the move to Cumbernauld? Any input would be appreciated.

AFAIK most people were happy to be moving to Cumbernauld as it meant getting a ground of our own. You may get more opinions if you ask about our various proposed moves away from Broadwood to EK.

20 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

AFAIK most people were happy to be moving to Cumbernauld as it meant getting a ground of our own. You may get more opinions if you ask about our various proposed moves away from Broadwood to EK.

I forgot all about that proposed move to EK. How did that one go down with the fans?

I forgot all about that proposed move to EK. How did that one go down with the fans?
A few were in favour especially when the relationship with North Lanarkshire was at its lowest. Most were dead against especially when "EK Clyde" was suggested as a name change. At B/wood for the long term now.

25 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:
2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

A few were in favour especially when the relationship with North Lanarkshire was at its lowest. Most were dead against especially when "EK Clyde" was suggested as a name change. At B/wood for the long term now.

Eh....not according to the vote in April 2013, they weren't. 

Poor attempt at revisionism. 

47 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

Eh....not according to the vote in April 2013, they weren't. 

Poor attempt at revisionism. 

Where did the suggestion of the name change come from? Was it offered by Clyde as a deal sweetener with the East Kilbride people or was it a deal breaker demand from the East Kilbride side of the table?

21 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Deal breaker as far as I remember.

We only ever did get one side of the story, to be fair. 

Given that two of the protagonists were both ex-Clyde players, having funnelled swathes of used notes  into the coffers in the pursuit of tapping into the player-sales market under a badly-chosen previous manager, i find it hard to believe they'd wish any remnant of our history being terminated. 

They also now have a direct route into the league, anyway. 

What a fucking shite time that was to be a Clyde fan. Selling our souls by voting to change the name, thinking John Sweeney and Mick Daly were cracking players, watching shite like Pat Scullion, Gavin Brown and McGachie and watching the utter pish that Duffy served up. 

Thankfully days like today help erase those horrible moments from my head and most importantly, thank god it happened whilst my son was between 5 and 10 as if it happened now at 12 years old, he'd probably have chucked it by now. Thankfully he's a wee diehard himself and always makes sure he has his Clyde shirts for PE at school as his PE is a Jag and all his pals are wee hot cross buns. 

Fucking love being a Clyde fan again. What Danny has done to this club is unbelievable 😍

Agree, it’s nice to see Clyde revived. Noting that Goodwillie seems to feed on the abuse of the opposition fans, is that what you are seeing? Watching the highlights, his first move was a up yours at the Raith end of the stands. I don’t love the lad, but it’s been adjudicated and still some people can’t let it go, despite his record since. The question is will someone above take the chance, cause he’s certainly better than League One.

Fairly dull given how often we’ve been there but at least it’s not far. Certainly winnable too. Hopefully agents Nicoll and Currie do us another favour.

ETA: Smith to finally strike form and score a hat-trick against his old team.

Edited by Scott-Replay

Great performances from all of the team today.
I'm glad that Smith got his goal and hopefully it will give him confidence to go on a run of good form.

As an aside, I was wondering if David Mitchell is a better goalkeeper than Aldo Martin who I rated very highly? Although his kicking could be improved on, I think he is. Fantastic goalkeeper.

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Great performances from all of the team today.
I'm glad that Smith got his goal and hopefully it will give him confidence to go on a run of good form.

As an aside, I was wondering if David Mitchell is a better goalkeeper than Aldo Martin who I rated very highly? Although his kicking could be improved on, I think he is. Fantastic goalkeeper.

Would have Mitchell every day of the week. Martin's attitude stinks too 

Mitchell has really impressed me from day one, even when we were losing 3 every game during the League Cup. Top keeper.

On another note, very chuffed for Dazza, seems a really decent bloke with a good attitude and works very hard for the team. Hoping this breakthrough helps his confidence and opens the floodgates for him 😁