Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Both good players yes, but to say that is wildly over the top. 

I don’t think so, never seen any CB last season that could control the ball, nevermind do so with the comfort and composure Lang did. McStay also has the ability to work himself out of tight areas in a league where the status quo is just to hoof it. Both those aspects alone vastly improve the football we play.

From what I know of league one I can’t think of another CB on Lang’s level, there’s a reason he’s leapfrogging league 1 to go to the championship. McStay probably will too, for the same reason. They are miles ahead

1 minute ago, TheBigGuy said:

Are there any over hanging suspensions for the Betfred?

Let's not forget that Rankin is probably still a bit away from full fitness, and DGW may also not yet be fully recovered from the ankle injury he picked up in the last game. Any news on them?

8 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Are there any over hanging suspensions for the Betfred?

According to soccerbase only Cuddihy, Stewart x2 and Nicoll were booked during the group stage last season. Imagine 2 bookings equals a suspension but of course Stewart doesn't play for us anymore.

In short, no.

Let's not forget that Rankin is probably still a bit away from full fitness, and DGW may also not yet be fully recovered from the ankle injury he picked up in the last game. Any news on them?

Funnily enough I don’t remember any feedback on the extent Goodwillie’s injury at all. It looked pretty serious at the time, although I suppose if it was serious we might have heard.

Funnily enough I don’t remember any feedback on the extent Goodwillie’s injury at all. It looked pretty serious at the time, although I suppose if it was serious we might have heard.
Rankin needed an operation
DGW looked like a twist no mention of anything serious that said it was only a month ago So might need another couple if weeks not a big problem

Seems like am in the minority but the mcstay worships a bit ott. His passing is atroscious and am sure it was only 4 goals and assists he contributed all season despite being an ever present. 

Edited by Clyde85

Guest andyp1301
1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

Seems like am in the minority but the mcstay worships a bit ott. His passing is atroscious and am sure it was only 4 goals and assists he contributed all season despite being an ever present. 

You make valid points- much as I think he has great potential- a low return on goals and assists- 

I agreed on earlier post but think we.ll struggle to get a player of his (potential) ability at our level ...

The top clubs not quite ready to offload loan players yet- feel sure we’ll bring a couple of very good youngsters in through that route, plus some potentials joining us at training.

Danny will find players and ones who fit in to the great dressing room  atmosphere too I’ve no doubt

I disagree. Football isn’t all about goals and assists. He played a lot deeper in the second half of the season and was the driving force pushing us forward and winning possession in the middle of the park. He’s great running with the ball too, which Grant is also good at but not at the same level imo

44 minutes ago, nickCFC58 said:

I disagree. Football isn’t all about goals and assists. He played a lot deeper in the second half of the season and was the driving force pushing us forward and winning possession in the middle of the park. He’s great running with the ball too, which Grant is also good at but not at the same level imo

In my opionion it was far more important to retain grant who's a much better player than mcstay.

I've previously said McStay's the best midfielder we've had since Craig Bryson and I stand by it. I originally made the comparison not just because Bryson was another outstanding centre midfielder who we've had play for us but also because of the two players' similarity in terms of their style, strengths and weaknesses.

The argument Clyde85 makes above about McStay's low return on goals and assists is an easily defeated one. If your opinion of a centre-midfielder is based only on those things, then you'd have a negative opinion of everyone from Craig Bryson to Claude Makelele. And, in a stark and amusing irony, you'd have an especially negative view of Ray Grant who does not, and will never, contribute many goals or assists. But who is of course an utterly superb player.

It isn't every player whose value can be captured in one or two statistics. And statistics aren't kept on the quality of decisions made in possession, whose inteception begun a passage of play leading to a goal, willingness to take a risk in order to open up play, and so on.

Grant is, in the here and now, better in possession than McStay in so far as his decisions and technical ability lead, more often, to keeping the ball. However, McStay's guile, his dig, his box-to-box capability, and his ability to find a yard or open play up with a turn or a trick... Looking at his age, too... There's a truck load of potential there. Both guys have full-time football in their future but McStay, at the minute, would be the most ready for it in my opinion. Neither player would be set back by another season with us however, if it guaranteed them a jersey.

On 12/06/2019 at 10:13, shawfield shed boy said:

Bully wee fund coming along nicely. Who still to sign up....

Could be the difference of adding extra player or keeping Tom Lang...

Great incentive

I wasn't aware that the format had changed so that it is now, effectively, all year round. Thought I had until the season started to worry about it. Have now signed up. 

The explanation of the changes is below, in case anyone else wasn't aware... 

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2019/06/03/6138/#.XQUlwFPTWdM

Mon, 3rd Jun 2019 6:53pm

The club is pleased to launch a new prize draw initiative ahead of the 2019-20 campaign - the Bully Wee Fund.

The Bully Wee Fund is a 52-week fundraising initiative that supersedes and combines both the 200 Fund and Flying Start schemes, which were successful in recent years.

Similar to those schemes, the Bully Wee Fund allows supporters to contribute directly to Clyde's first team and also enter regular draws, usually at home matches, to win a significant cash prize. It has the specific purpose of increasing the player budget available to the management team. 

The venture runs on the basis of a 50-50 split of the total funds collected, with 26 prize draws taking place throughout the year. The cash prize available will be based on the number of subscribers, so will increase in line with the number of subscribers at the time of each draw. For instance, 250 subscribers would generate a prize of £1,250.

The initiative commences in July, with the first draw taking place at Clyde's first home fixture in the Betfred Cup later that month.

For further information and to subscribe, visit the Bully Wee Fund page.

Clyde director Gordon Nisbet said:-

"Over the last two seasons we have successfully administered the 200 Fund initiative, to the point that it outgrew its initial target. We also introduced the equally successful Flying Start pre-season draw, which had a similar format.

"Many subscribers felt that it would more convenient if the two initiatives ran as one, so we have decided to give it a try, with the new 52-week Bully Wee Fund.

"As the management and team's aspirations grow, we sense our support are also willing to assist in matching these ambitions in League 1. This is a great way to do that and we trust everyone will give their backing to the new and bigger draw format."

mcstay is a very good player who I think would be evenbetter playing with better players . as the season progressed he added strength and dig to his game, he is always prepared to take the ball in difficult positions and his passing is spot especially when switching play He is nowhere near the finished article . No idea if he has had offers of full time remember any team could have signed him for January

don't think he is irreplaceable by any means but would still love to see him sign on

You may be in the minority but I've spoken to a few Clyde fans at games that share your opinion.

Maybe views on McStay are more varied than they appear to be on P&B.

McStay is very good, but maybe a bit inconsistent. He is though very strong, decent pace and very good ability, when on his game he is very influential.
It shows our progress that there is even a discussion about him. Pre Lennon he would (Goodwillie apart obviously) have been head and shoulders above anything we had.
Be delighted if he stays, but I am in the Grant camp on who is more valuable player for us. Potentially though McStay could be a terrific player at a higher level and another year under Lennon would do him the world of good.

McStay has, in my view matured excellently since his permanent shift into his deeper position, more so than any other in the side of last year. The obvious others had already displayed this, and Lang once at CB was like Baresi.

There were many carrying doubts last year that he 'had it', but i think this responsibility has made a man of him. His final ball though may be what deters serious offers. That said i agree it would not be easy for us to replace him, on whatever budget we have set aside for him. But we've just gone toe to toe with a flush Peterhead for 35 weeks, on a literal shoestring, and taken three of the best remaining L2 players with us. That's down to the character and attitudes of those Lennon and Moore brought in, and i'm confident they'll do so again, within the constraints.

3 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

I've previously said McStay's the best midfielder we've had since Craig Bryson and I stand by it..

Mcstay should never be compared to Bryson, very overrated but we know what he’s all about so I would rather have him than not but he is replaceable 

Personally I think League One is McStay’s level or bottom half championship

Edited by BullyWeeLad
Spelling mistake

Watch McStay's work-rate if (hopefully) he is with us again next season.

He covers a lot of ground & helps to break up opposition attacks.

More often than not he'll be the player taking the ball from our half into the opposition's half.

His main fault is the number of times he loses possession when he's trying to set up attacks. He could just do the easy thing by passing the ball sideways, but he tries to create things, and sometimes it goes wrong. 

I think he's a player who's worth will only be fully appreciated once he's no longer in the team.

I certainly hope he's with us again next season.