Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

He's a full back for a start and has zero attacking qualities so that rules him out of scoring.
And I singled out Smith in my post because a few previous posters mentioned they would've kept him next season. 

Fair enough. I wasn't responding to any specific post.

However, in regard to Duffie, he may have been a full back but I cannot recall a single decent cross from him. Not one!

It's a mystery to me why the club signed three separate season long contacts with him. Especially for a player with zero attacking qualities as you say. I won't even go into his injury record.

8 hours ago, haufdaft said:

However, in regard to Duffie, he may have been a full back but I cannot recall a single decent cross from him. Not one!

It's a mystery to me why the club signed three separate season long contacts with him. Especially for a player with zero attacking qualities as you say. I won't even go into his injury record.

Before his injury he was apparently really good at bursting forward and being a threat for Falkirk, perhaps Lennon was hoping he'd return to that form at some point. 

Always remember the Thistle game in the cup last season he win the ball on the half way line but in doing so was our furthest player up the pitch and didnt have a clue what to do :lol:

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Aye, I found it a strange one as well. There was probably a player in there somewhere but injuries have ruined his time at us. Same with Lyon to an extent, although, he didnt have as many injury problems as Duffie.

Given the budget is tight this year we’ll need to look for decent players at a lower wage, difficult I know. Daniel Jardine has left Stirling and I always thought he looked a decent player who could play higher, think they got him from St Johnstone. 

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Given the budget is tight this year we’ll need to look for decent players at a lower wage, difficult I know. Daniel Jardine has left Stirling and I always thought he looked a decent player who could play higher, think they got him from St Johnstone. 

Airdrie have just released a good few players. Andy Barrowman and Nat Wedderburn included. 

It's not that Andrew Barrowman, this one is a relative of John Barrowman and is a youth player. 

I'd be looking at left back Adam Eckersley and midfielder Kurtis Roberts from the Airdrie list. Roberts is a player DL has mentioned a few times, I think he would suit us.

4 hours ago, David W said:

It's not that Andrew Barrowman, this one is a relative of John Barrowman and is a youth player. 

I'd be looking at left back Adam Eckersley and midfielder Kurtis Roberts from the Airdrie list. Roberts is a player DL has mentioned a few times, I think he would suit us.

Roberts and Eckersley would definitely do a turn for Clyde or indeed most if not all of the teams in this division. 

Eckersley is still a classy player and a solid pro. He was unfortunate in that he got injured and by the time he got back fit Leon McCann had been such a sensation in his position that he was never able to get back in the team. Similarly to Scotland in that if there was such a thing as two left-backs or if he'd been able to play in another position I'd imagine he'd have definitely played again once fully fit. He's fully part-time now and west coast based (hence why he left Forfar to come to us despite agreeing to sign for them) so it's not implausible he could sign for Clyde. 

Roberts is a good player and was popular with the fans but his face never fit with the management team for whatever reason. He's a dynamic sort of player who offers a lot of impetus and energy. I wouldn't say he's a creative or #10 type but he definitely provides a lot of spark going forward. His only consistent run in the team was during our best run of form when we went top of the league and I don't think that was a coincidence. Our first goal in the away win at Falkirk and the goal he scored himself at Cliftonhill were him and the team as a whole at their counter-attacking best. He found himself back out the team though (I think he got dropped for our loss at Broadwood) and he never really got much of a chance again afterwards. Despite our midfield generally being worse off as a result. It was said, by Stuart Millar, that it was to do with fitness and while that might be true to an extent, I was never fully convinced by that and thought the whole situation seemed a bit odd. So while he was popular with the fans I'm not that surprised he was released. He would be a good signing for most teams in this league though and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to haunt us. 

RE Wedderburn - I never rated him but he divided opinion amongst the Airdrie support. Some fans loathed him and some loved him. He has his plus points - he can use his size and strength well and he's generally tidy on the ball but that's about it. His weaknesses far outweigh his strengths IMO. He's far too slow and lacking in fitness to be an effective central midfielder at this level. In particular, he really got found out against the better teams and/or teams with any sort of dynamism or quality in the midfield. As said, he's quite tidy on the ball, makes aesthetically nice FIFA style sideways passes and will generally find a team mate. But, he only ever really passes sideways or within 10 yards of where he's standing. There's no cutting edge to his passing at all. If he's playing deep or in your own half and the ball gets behind him too then you're fucked. He'll probably get a gig at this level based on name and reputation though. 

Barrowman was a reserve player who never featured for the first team. He was quite highly regarded but he's 22 so needs to be playing regular football. It's a risky economy to be taking chances on players but he might be worth a punt by someone. John Barrowman will Tweet and Instagram about your club every so often. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Roberts and Eckersley would definitely do a turn for Clyde or indeed most if not all of the teams in this division. 

Eckersley is still a classy player and a solid pro. He was unfortunate in that he got injured and by the time he got back fit Leon McCann had been such a sensation in his position that he was never able to get back in the team. Similarly to Scotland in that if there was such a thing as two left-backs or if he'd been able to play in another position I'd imagine he'd have definitely played again once fully fit. He's fully part-time now and west coast based (hence why he left Forfar to come to us despite agreeing to sign for them) so it's not implausible he could sign for Clyde. 

Roberts is a good player and was popular with the fans but his face never fit with the management team for whatever reason. He's a dynamic sort of player who offers a lot of impetus and energy. I wouldn't say he's a creative or #10 type but he definitely provides a lot of spark going forward. His only consistent run in the team was during our best run of form when we went top of the league and I don't think that was a coincidence. Our first goal in the away win at Falkirk and the goal he scored himself at Cliftonhill were him and the team as a whole at their counter-attacking best. He found himself back out the team though (I think he got dropped for our loss at Broadwood) and he never really got much of a chance again afterwards. Despite our midfield generally being worse off as a result. It was said, by Stuart Millar, that it was to do with fitness and while that might be true to an extent, I was never fully convinced by that and thought the whole situation seemed a bit odd. So while he was popular with the fans I'm not that surprised he was released. He would be a good signing for most teams in this league though and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to haunt us. 

RE Wedderburn - I never rated him but he divided opinion amongst the Airdrie support. Some fans loathed him and some loved him. He has his plus points - he can use his size and strength well and he's generally tidy on the ball but that's about it. His weaknesses far outweigh his strengths IMO. He's far too slow and lacking in fitness to be an effective central midfielder at this level. In particular, he really got found out against the better teams and/or teams with any sort of dynamism or quality in the midfield. As said, he's quite tidy on the ball, makes aesthetically nice FIFA style sideways passes and will generally find a team mate. But, he only ever really passes sideways or within 10 yards of where he's standing. There's no cutting edge to his passing at all. If he's playing deep or in your own half and the ball gets behind him too then you're fucked. He'll probably get a gig at this level based on name and reputation though. 

Barrowman was a reserve player who never featured for the first team. He was quite highly regarded but he's 22 so needs to be playing regular football. It's a risky economy to be taking risks on players but he might be worth a punt by someone. John Barrowman will Tweet and Instagram about your club every so often. 

We are needing a left back, unless we can get Livingstone to sign who we had from Motherwell and has been released but Eckersley would be a good signing. 

Roberts I thought seemed a good player, did he play in the first game against us at your place? 

I’ve never been impressed with Wedderburn, far too slow. 

Also, good to see we have 350 owners which is the total of last season already. Hopefully that goes up a bit more. 

Edited by SLClyde

16 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

We are needing a left back, unless we can get Livingstone to sign who we had from Motherwell and has been released but Eckersley would be a good signing. 

Roberts I thought seemed a good player, did he play in the first game against us at your place? 

I’ve never been impressed with Wedderburn, far too slow. 

Also, good to see we have 350 owners which is the total of last season already. Hopefully that goes up a bit more. 

He did, scored a lovely goal too! 

4 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Airdrie have just released a good few players. Andy Barrowman and Nat Wedderburn included. 

I wouldn’t touch Nat Wedderburn with a 20 foot barge pole,Too slow,too stiff,not physical enough if I was you’s I’d be looking at Kurtis Roberts or Eck

One page you mention a reduced budget and the next you're touting full time players signing up. Not sure those marry up.
Don't think anyone is suggesting offering him a full time deal.

Kieran Millar, just released by Airdrie, has signed for Stranraer. I'm sure they won't be offering a full time deal either.

4 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Don't think anyone is suggesting offering him a full time deal.

Kieran Millar, just released by Airdrie, has signed for Stranraer. I'm sure they won't be offering a full time deal either.

I didn't mean you'd be offering him a full time deal but they're not really comparable players. I think Eckersley could find himself a full time deal no problem, Miller clearly couldn't given he's dropped to league 2. Eckersley been full time his whole career will demand a decent wedge, Millers been part time since being released from Hamilton and couldn't make it with Airdrie, he's not going to demand much.

Eckersley was quite happy to turn part-time with Forfar, in fact I'm sure he signed a part-time deal there at the start of last season but left because Airdrie was more convenient travel-wise.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't mean you'd be offering him a full time deal but they're not really comparable players. I think Eckersley could find himself a full time deal no problem, Miller clearly couldn't given he's dropped to league 2. Eckersley been full time his whole career will demand a decent wedge, Millers been part time since being released from Hamilton and couldn't make it with Airdrie, he's not going to demand much.

Eckersley won't go back full-time, he decided to go part-time when he joined Forfar last year. He had signed a contract with Forfar last season but then couldn't commit to training two nights a week alongside his job so ended up coming to Airdrie part-time as the location was a much better fit for him. He seems like a decent option for Clyde as presumably he'd be happy with the travel and was a solid left back for us until he got injured.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Eckersley won't go back full-time, he decided to go part-time when he joined Forfar last year. He had signed a contract with Forfar last season but then couldn't commit to training two nights a week alongside his job so ended up coming to Airdrie part-time as the location was a much better fit for him. He seems like a decent option for Clyde as presumably he'd be happy with the travel and was a solid left back for us until he got injured.

Fair enough, I thought he was still full time with St Mirren when he was at Forfar, didn't realise he'd gone part time with Airdrie too. I'll keep my trap shut then!

45/50 in the quiz this week. Annoyingly I missed a couple of now obvious ones despite getting some that barely kicked a ball.

Missed

Spoiler

Aleks Gramovics, Euan Murray, Ricki Lamie, Jamie Watson & Kieran Hughes (which was ridiculous open goal missed)