Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

5 hours ago, Domino the Dug said:

Absolutely fickle, you bet. 

I'd rather an out-of place left back, tucking in as part of a four, than a completely missing-in-action midfield having to supply two wingers AND two strikers. Top-heavy, and it's not just Saturday, no natural general has emerged, to the point i'd call it the next-priority position ahead of left-back itself. The selection availability hasn't been kind lately, but neither McStay or Lamont have cemented anything yet when playing every week. And it's not Rankin's game either. 

I totally agree on the midfield general...

6 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Anyone got tonight’s team lines?

CLYDE: McGee, Cuddihy (Elder 74'), Wylde, Howie, McMullin (McNulty 61'), Wallace, McNiven (Hamilton 61'), Lyon, Love (Falconer 72'), Johnston, McNeil (Mullen 72').

10 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Bodes really well for round 5 when we are getting pumped off a team of their wains a few weeks prior

Hardly our first team though- Wylde still building fitness and stamina- Howie working his way back to full match fitness after several weeks out injured- Love not been playing full 90 since his injury and all most likely under strict instructions to avoid injury at all costs.

Don’t imagine we’ll do anything else in January, but would say I’m pleased with the business we have done. Wylde and Lang in for the rest of the season, alongside getting Mitchell and goodwillie on longer term deals. 

Well done to all involved getting those deals done. 

14 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Don’t imagine we’ll do anything else in January, but would say I’m pleased with the business we have done.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. We need full backs, badly. These are really important positions and the correct players playing in those positions are a valuable source of assists. Fair enough we might not be playing the kind of football that requires marauding defenders but it's still a very handy outlet. Kieran MacDonald has set up over 10 goals for Raith this season. You simply cannot be happy with McNiff and Howie there.

Another striker/forward player is also very much required. Norway isn't a centre forward (when fit). Smith isn't capable of playing there. Wylde in the hole was rubbish. Love can't play in there. If Goodie gets injured none of these lads are even a sniff close to being an adequate replacement. Having someone else in there to ease the burden on him could well be the difference between us staying up or going down. Salim Kouider-Aïssa from QP being the obvious choice for this role but now QP have offered good pro terms we may have missed our chance. Declan Byrne from Albion Rovers would seem to be another good shout.

We could definitely do with another full back or two. A striker to partner or be a back up for Goodie would be ideal as well. A couple of SPL youth loanees would be my choice. Gives us short term cover without offering 2 year deals to people who turn out not to be good enough for league one...

..........any signings got to be good enough for the Championship....... agree we've manage to get back players from injury (especially John Rankin).... another push to strenghten the squad to keep the momentum going

Cup and TV money should assist with covering existing debt and player recruitment...... Roy who?............

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. We need full backs, badly. These are really important positions and the correct players playing in those positions are a valuable source of assists. Fair enough we might not be playing the kind of football that requires marauding defenders but it's still a very handy outlet. Kieran MacDonald has set up over 10 goals for Raith this season. You simply cannot be happy with McNiff and Howie there.

Another striker/forward player is also very much required. Norway isn't a centre forward (when fit). Smith isn't capable of playing there. Wylde in the hole was rubbish. Love can't play in there. If Goodie gets injured none of these lads are even a sniff close to being an adequate replacement. Having someone else in there to ease the burden on him could well be the difference between us staying up or going down. Salim Kouider-Aïssa from QP being the obvious choice for this role but now QP have offered good pro terms we may have missed our chance. Declan Byrne from Albion Rovers would seem to be another good shout.

I agree with Brian. Another forward who could hold it up and knock it down and a couple of full backs would've been ideal. Wylde seems a wasteful signing given he's unfit and given as we've got plenty of options in the positions where he would normally play. Unless of course we're not paying him a wage or there truly wasn't anything else available.

I think Danny could argue that he was able to make Barry Cuddihy into a useful full back in previous seasons, and say the same for Ross Lyon in a few of his more recent appearances, but he's had a terrible time with that position otherwise. He played Lang as a right back for a while and he done the same thing with Dylan Cogill who, like Lang, was clearly much better in the centre than he was as a full back.

Then there's McNiff. Not a full back in a million years, to my mind. We've also had Rankin and Grant playing back there if I remember rightly. And now Howie. Duffie would be the only proper full back we've really had out there and that's stretching the imagination a bit. I only mean that Duffie hadn't really played anywhere else in his career but on the right hand side and mostly while having defensive responsibilities, if not always as an out and out full back. He isn't a great option obviously. He's not very agile and dwells on the ball a bit much, revealing that he's not a truly experienced player.

I think Danny might like a taller player out on the sides because they will reliably put the ball back into midfield when it's hoofed up at them and because they can be pushed up at goal kicks to give us a way into the opposition's half. Walter Smith's Rangers worked with that kind of set up. Papac and Whittaker weren't exactly Carlos and Cafu but they served a purpose. Difference with us is we only play one up and we can't expect the kind of possession Rangers could, all of which means the park is a bit more open for the opposition, and there's far more chance to exploit a cumbersome big full back.

It's a real blind spot for Danny I think. I don't worry too much about the Celtic game because we're expecting a loss, but it could be a right doing. McNiff against Frimpong, Forrest and all those lads. Unless our line is sat an inch off the byline (...!) we'll have a hell of a time saving face. Same follows for the league, we won't take doings much, but we'll carry on losing very avoidable goals and underutilising the wings I think.

I just hope that the squad, with its 1 loan addition plus the club less Wylde, is starting to recover.  

Ranks had a good 10 mins on Saturday, although you wonder about his match fitness, and it was encouraging to see McStay back in contention.  Lyons, Wee Barry, sorry I can't spell Cuddihy. and Duffy will also mask some of the gaps.

Can't argue with the earlier point about McNiff and the gap at right back, but the mistake was made in the last close season; adding wages could have compounded that error. 

Most teams will have a rise and fall during the season...I think Montrose, Dumbarton Airdrie and E Fife may have peaked, so there is hope.  Maybe in the 2nd half of the season we might pick up wins where we drew and draws where we lost earlier.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Just to confirm I’m not debating that we need to strengthen the full back positions, and another striker. My point was I didn’t think we would bring anyone else in, but was happy enough with the business done. 

Anyone reading your post properly would have understood that the first time.