Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

On 06/12/2019 at 07:45, TheBigGuy said:

Consistancy will come with time. Hopefully a home win Saturday!

Well, now we know how THAT went, what's plan F? 

Others have been brave to make statements, so i'll join in. Several of that team today, frankly aren't good enough, or interested enough, to arrest the slide in form. And Lennon's reputation, whether anyone likes it or not, is staked on him a) realising this, and b) acting accordingly. Budget restraints this, availability that, don't interest me. We're already wasting a right chunk of what budget he has as it is, by those choices. It's not ALL been bad, but good bonhomie and fond memories won't keep us out the bottom two for much longer. That game today, even with us still plodding at no more than 70%, should have been buried even before the, ahem, penalty.

If it were a technical issue, i'd understand but i think it's an attitude problem. Lennon wouldn't ask them to play this "certain way" he refers to (ref his first six games, with the shell of Chapmans side) if it wasn't in the locker, although Petkov seems to take this instruction literally, with every first touch. Only three more games of that, Howie permitting, thankfully. I like our 'style', i really do, but some of those today just did not fancy it. 

Change my mind, by all means.

Liam Allison

Karim Belmokhtar

Eddie Ferns

Declan Fitzpatrick

Joe Gorman

Kyle Gourlay

David Hopkirk

Kieran Hughes

Steve Kipre

Ross Lyon

Adam Martin

Michael McMullin

Alex Petkov

Darren Smith

Tony Wallace

^^^ That is some amount of garbage to have signed in two years. I can't see why he would have looked at Smith/Wallace and thought they'd fit into the way we played last season. 

Jack Boyle

Chris Johnston

^^^I'd have the jury out on those two. Boyle good during his loan but not great last season. 

Scott Banks

Dylan Cogill

Ray Grant

Craig Howie

Tom Lang

Ally Love

Chris McStay

David Mitchell

John Rankin

Scott Rumsby

Kristoffer Syvertsen

^^^Acceptable. 

We've got an excellent manager but his transfer record is starting to become a big area for improvement.

We should be under no illusion that we are in a survival battle. We should have won today with the penalty and the 2 one on one chances Smith had. In the end we could have lost as Forfar had a couple of excellent chances. 
We have horrendous injury problems so it is understandable to some extent. However, our recruitment in the summer was simply not good enough. Some payers we signed, who should have improved on what we had, can’t even step in and do a competent job replacing last seasons players. Where’s Wallace/Wally ? Why cant Smith find the target when right through on the keeper? (How many times is that ?) . Mitchell is clearly a great addition. Johnston also in spells. 
having mentioned Smith’s misses above, I have to say that he did make some decent runs at times, held the ball and linked reasonably well at times with the midfield. When Love came on, he offered absolutely nothing and the difference was noticeable almost immediately. 
The players and staff rightly got great praise for last seasons fantastic efforts. However, that’s gone and they collectively need to get a grip of a rapidly worsening situation. 

Cup tickets now on sale via the website. 

Really hope we can find a bit of form before the cup tie or we are in real danger of an embarrassing exit.

We have plenty of players that can play a nice game on a good surface when given the opportunity to do so. But on a horrendous surface against a physical team that will turn it into a battle I don’t fancy us. We are soft as shite and will probably result to pumping long balls. Could be another Stranraer away.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:
14 hours ago, BroadwoodBoy said:
Cup tickets now on sale via the website. 

I take it that you show your season book/ membership on collection?

i would imagine they would have a list of all members & season ticket holders. 

I'm more curious at to the breakdown of how many ST holders & members the club have & out of that how many either have one of them or both?

i would imagine they would have a list of all members & season ticket holders. 

I'm more curious at to the breakdown of how many ST holders & members the club have & out of that how many either have one of them or both?

...or how many families have multiple season tickets in one name only.

Big emphasis on clean sheets in the post-match interviews lately. Which is fine, but we should be mindful of the trade-off: we have and will continue to score far fewer goals as our set-up is a very stuffy one, designed to paper over the cracks which poor-to-average players create by fact of being our only options in some positions (e.g. McNiff at left back).

Personnel is the problem: we need movement in January. If we do nothing, and those round about us strengthen, we'll almost certainly be looking over our shoulder at come Feb/March.

On players, I think if Lennon could speak completely honestly - and you can't really, on this subject, as a manager - he'd say that some signings were made because nothing else was available for the dough. I don't think he thinks they're good players, in other words, but needs must.

On 09/12/2019 at 13:30, Sao Paulo said:

Big emphasis on clean sheets in the post-match interviews lately...

Personnel is the problem: we need movement in January...

On players, I think if Lennon could speak completely honestly - and you can't really, on this subject, as a manager - he'd say that some signings were made because nothing else was available for the dough. I don't think he thinks they're good players, in other words, but needs must.

Can't argue with much of this and David W's analysis of player acquisition is pretty accurate too. But come on.  For lots of players at this level is NOT JUST the  £ on offer. Over the years, without offering high wages we attracted and retained dedicated guys like Knoxy, Marco and Ross Mcfarlane.  Peterhead have their goal machine who has a good full time job. It's abought finding the "right" players.

Do we scout? QP have signed a guys who is rattling in goals, from Kilsyth which is so close to our set up. The wee French chap at Stirling and the brick outhouse of Dumbarton surely are not paid massively higher than our squad? Bringing C Johnstone to us can't have been that cheap; so I don't think it's all about the money.

Also, I'm always worried when my boss starts to deflect press question. Clean sheets are irrelevant when it includes 2 meaningless cup games and a team below us in the table. Alex Smith would regularly steer legit questions on results into young players coming through: we know what happened there! 

On 10/12/2019 at 14:19, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Can't argue with much of this and David W's analysis of player acquisition is pretty accurate too. But come on.  For lots of players at this level is NOT JUST the  £ on offer. Over the years, without offering high wages we attracted and retained dedicated guys like Knoxy, Marco and Ross Mcfarlane.  Peterhead have their goal machine who has a good full time job. It's abought finding the "right" players.

Do we scout? QP have signed a guys who is rattling in goals, from Kilsyth which is so close to our set up. The wee French chap at Stirling and the brick outhouse of Dumbarton surely are not paid massively higher than our squad? Bringing C Johnstone to us can't have been that cheap; so I don't think it's all about the money.

Also, I'm always worried when my boss starts to deflect press question. Clean sheets are irrelevant when it includes 2 meaningless cup games and a team below us in the table. Alex Smith would regularly steer legit questions on results into young players coming through: we know what happened there! 

Post of the season, Sir. 

One could add, to the House of Horrors list of dross DW illuminates, is our never-ending injury list. To be fair, almost everyone who has endured a long term absence is on the 'good' list, and have mostly proven a worth. Can't argue with SP's assertion that filling in the blanks *could* be a monetary issue in some cases, if not outright deliberate. I don't envisage that Howie or Rumsby, when added to the squad were high-end. Neither were either Lang or Coggill, so centre-backs clearly don't break the bank. We now have one fit option, where we had five last season. Cuddihy and Love also would enter this category of being adequate first-picks, on affordable wages. If this were the case throughout the squad, i don't think the selection issues would have manifested, leading to the current awful form. And it IS awful. Our only recent win was a terrible display. 

Mitchell for Currie, is a merited and  worthy upgrade in every way, including financially. Even if he leaves, we have attained a standard with him which must be aspired to. Similiar with Grant, Rankin and Goodwillie, two of whom again i expect to be among the higher bracket. Johnston, Wallace and Smith, in particular, i'd expect to have been enticed by the carrot and not the stick, based on their showings so far. That's not an endorsement of any of them, when we need dig, they disappear. This is a character thing, not a financial one.

Edited by Domino the Dug

You'll need to be more specific about which particular one.

QP have signed a guys who is rattling in goals, from Kilsyth which is so close to our set up.

He was actually part of our set-up as a boy, if it's Salim Kouider-Aissa you're on about. Scouting doesn't happen extensively outside the top six of the SPL - it's word of mouth, agents and ad-hoc stuff. I was actually at the game at Duncansfield, or one of them - as was Sir Kevin of Kilsyth - where Gardner Spiers scouted Michael Daly for QP. As I understood it, that was just a word of mouth thing and a local visit from a senior team's manager.

Dougie Imrie? A recommendation by Tommy Coyne to Joe Miller. Half of Billy Reid's haul? His agent pal. John Brown, to be fair to him, had actually gone and watched a lot of the players he signed for us before taking the job when we were still full-time, effectively scouting them himself. Stuart Millar is actually a scout and signed a load of absolute dross...!

But if you want a proper scouting network; the likes of which got Laudrup to Rangers and Larsson to Celtic, you'd need a fortune. A good scouting set-up for our level looks like good contracts and maybe some very willing and very loyal, knowledgeable bodies who'd claim back only their fuel and gate money. I mean, al dae it.

39 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

But if you want a proper scouting network; the likes of which got Laudrup to Rangers and Larsson to Celtic, you'd need a fortune. A good scouting set-up for our level looks like good contracts and maybe some very willing and very loyal, knowledgeable bodies who'd claim back only their fuel and gate money. I mean, al dae it.

In the Shawfield days we had a group of guys that would go to junior, amateur or even school-boy games. I know it's changed days but us taking players on the basis of an agent's recommendation is almost obscene. 

I was told that on the day of Stevey Mallin's debut the scout went to collect him, but his maw said he was away out for a run. I was also told that someone in the 70's signed for Clyde despite his club wanting to take more £ on offer from another PT team but the lad paid the difference out his own pocket ''cos he wanted to play for The Clyde'.