Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

21 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Injuries and poor squad recruitnent us crippling us..

Plays McMullan on Amatuer terms before 3 o his signings in summer tells me even i think he knows..

Were not a bad team but good teams can go down

Mcmullin impressed me on Saturday he seemed determined, wee bit longer training with the guys and hopefully he'll get there. Good to have an extra body in the squad as well

There is no doubt that outside of Howie, Mitchell and Johnstone the recruitment during the summer was not great. 

I’ll be controversial here... a problem for us is Chris McStay, simply too inconsistent to be one of our main players. He cannot play at this level next to Grant it would seem. I’m not saying he does not have ability but just does not do enough  for 90 mins or indeed more that 1-2 games in a row.

Danny also failed to correct the issue that was screaming out last season; Goodwillie needs a partner, particularly in L1. It’s obvious he is not fit, I assume due to injury as his attitude is 99.9% of the time fantastic. Saturday was the first time I’ve seen his body language look so frustrated and looking down.

Again thankless task... balls launched to him with 3 hairy arsed defenders just careering into him.  I do agree that he was very poor on Saturday though.
 After 10 mins on Saturday I’d have actually moved McMullan central as he was actually winning loads of high balls albeit in wide area. I’d had tried Goodie wide for a period to see what change he got with the bell actually at his feet and running at their back 4. 

Then again what do I know!

7 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

There is no doubt that outside of Howie, Mitchell and Johnstone the recruitment during the summer was not great. 

I’ll be controversial here... a problem for us is Chris McStay, simply too inconsistent to be one of our main players. He cannot play at this level next to Grant it would seem. I’m not saying he does not have ability but just does not do enough  for 90 mins or indeed more that 1-2 games in a row.

Danny also failed to correct the issue that was screaming out last season; Goodwillie needs a partner, particularly in L1. It’s obvious he is not fit, I assume due to injury as his attitude is 99.9% of the time fantastic. Saturday was the first time I’ve seen his body language look so frustrated and looking down.

Again thankless task... balls launched to him with 3 hairy arsed defenders just careering into him.  I do agree that he was very poor on Saturday though.
 After 10 mins on Saturday I’d have actually moved McMullan central as he was actually winning loads of high balls albeit in wide area. I’d had tried Goodie wide for a period to see what change he got with the bell actually at his feet and running at their back 4. 

Then again what do I know!

Could not agree more about McStay. Hes a liability this season for us. He was pish on Saturday and he has had a worrying amount of performances like that. Stranraer away he was woeful, an not far off that level against Peterhead at home as well.

Lamont is another one who is frustrating me this year. He has absolutely no dig about him and when you need to fight hard for a win, or even a draw, you cannot rely on him.

Lamont for me often only delivers when coming off the bench, if that’s his role then fine  ie squad player.  My point on McStay is that I really don’t know what his role is.. not holding and not creative, love to be proven wrong but not doesn’t look like it.

In Danny’s defence I suppose he didn’t know if these guys could step up till it’s been tried, unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of changing the squad. How can we possibly move the likes of Wallace, Smith etc who will be in Decent money I assume In January. 

I don’t enjoy being negative but Saturday was a concern on the back of previous home games against teams of what we might similar standard.

Still having flashbacks of Chris Johnston’s crosses into the box 

Thing is he had the LB on toast who was on a booking and could have easily got him in turned inside out inside the box with higher chance of a goal or even a pen..

Why he reverted to turning back and bending a cross to no one at back post on at least 3or4 occasions i do not know....[emoji85]

I think we're disintegrating now lads. Saying McStay was pish on Saturday is an utter fiction, he was very visibly bursting his arse to make things happen and to win possession, both of which he done well in so far as he put Johnston into position many a time and won plenty to start us away up the pitch. We might've done better to swap Johnston for Lamont in the hole as the former is that bit more quick to create - and in the hole is the area where we'd have stood a better chance of unlocking Sons - but I don't think Lamont was particularly bad. Dumbarton stopped us doing what we do naturally.

If we're saying McStay was pish on Saturday and not Grant, we're just scapegoating; Grant barely had a kick. You can say that either player has had more prominent performances but they played as they did largely due to our inability to respond at a tactical level to Dumbarton.

I'm a bit perturbed by the level of negativity on this thread recently.

I'm as disappointed as the next man at Saturday's result but let's get things into perspective.

We are a part time team, adjusting to a higher league, hugely handicapped  by a high level of injuries, and had a tough mid week gig at Methil in atrocious conditions which must have have been energy sapping.

In addition we lost a key defender in the first half and Goodie took a sore one early in the game which I think could account for his comparative lower key game. 

I don't know what level of miracles we expect but surely we need to get back to encouraging the team, not mauling them!

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I think we can maybe say that a lot of these boys will never get a game for the first team... Except perhaps the goalie who, I’ve heard, had made a lot of good saves despite it being 7-1.

Thistle kept the score down in the first half with some poor finishing. The goalie was terrible. 

19 hours ago, LiviClyde said:

I'm a bit perturbed by the level of negativity on this thread recently.

I'm as disappointed as the next man at Saturday's result but let's get things into perspective.

We are a part time team, adjusting to a higher league, hugely handicapped  by a high level of injuries, and had a tough mid week gig at Methil in atrocious conditions which must have have been energy sapping.

In addition we lost a key defender in the first half and Goodie took a sore one early in the game which I think could account for his comparative lower key game. 

I don't know what level of miracles we expect but surely we need to get back to encouraging the team, not mauling them!

There's nothing negative in fans voicing opinions. Indeed, many have said the same here about Saturday that they did in previous games we've won or drawn, and usually about the same players. Some even questioned the summer retention of two players mentioned quite a lot.

Clearly the supporters are discussing these, hoping those able to sort the particular problems have a bash at doing so, in order that the situation can improve. That's highly positive i'd say. A lot more so than ignoring them, or wishing others not to discuss them.