Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

First off, a good result to get (obviously) if at times dogged which puts a higher value, for me, on the win itself. Outfighting and outrunning will acquire us points where they might be unexpected, but i'm afraid Dumbarton don't fit that category one bit. I felt prior they were bang average, Duffy's fifty shades of beige clearly stamped upon them, and absolutely there for the taking. 

First away win outwith the bottom tier in a decade aside, i don't quite understand the ongoing rapture. We passed reasonably well, and created several chances (Smith, ffs) yet could still have thrown it away, twice. If we were 'excellent', i'd be looking at us thrashing shite like that, as it's within the capabilities even without Goodwillie. If we fall in the trap of thinking that's the standard, we won't be winning on the road much. 

2 hours ago, Duncan1968 said:

This is the same Rumsby that played a big part in stranraers promotion push 4 years ago. 

I suggest he is proven at this level

Is Steven Dobbie a proven English Premiership striker? 

Won promition twice, yet barely featured when with Swansea and absolutely didn't score. Similar argument, i'd say.

Sao was a bit quick in shooting his load where the defence was concerned, and he's shown contrition in accepting he may be proven wrong. He's still havering on the McNiff factor, however his suggestion that more time be given is entirely in keeping with our current setup potentially becoming counter-productive. We've absolutely deserved all our accrued points, but we're going to have to open up sometime, lest we become yesterday's Dumbarton and Montrose become 'us' next week, which is as ludicrously Clyde as you could get if we arse up a chance to solidify a position ahead of Raith/Falkirk double-header. 

22 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Rewind a few weeks after the Airdrie game, the outrage and negativity on here was a fucking disgrace. People suggesting Lennons position may need to be reviewed, people suggesting it was a good idea the scoreboard wasn't there for the Falkirk game, fans suggesting we'll get pumped by double figures. The shocking comments made towards one of last years heroes McNiff... 

I was also shouted down by a fellow fan who thinks he's a fucking export when I suggested we wait until the end of Game Day 9 before reviewing our season. Well guess what Sao Paolo, 8 games in and we're 4th! Hope you're eating your words... 

The Clyde fans in the stands over the last few weeks have been fuckin superb, never gave up on the team and got them over their sticky start to the point we're now a decent enough force in this league and showing we deserve to be here. Thankfully the negetivity from the faceless keyboard pushers never made it to the stands and to the players. 

We have a fuckin class manager, a top top bunch of players who play for the badge and the fans. Never ever in doubt! Mon the Clyde! 

Aren't some of those "fans in the stands", among the harshest critics in both audio and pixel form when it's deserved? In several cases, it was, for both players and management. We were getting utterly rode, and the team has been tightened up significantly since the obvious gaps were being pointed out.  We should be thanked, not counter-shouted down. 

Are people afraid of open discussion? 

Any more than two is an assembly...

If i'd pick an individual to have had an effect on plugging these holes i'd offer Chris McStay, who has again found a balance with Prince Raymond none other frankly can come close to. Until his full return, Grant manfully soldiered on but was using a waterpistol in a swordfight, particularly at Raith Rovers away. It took us until November to pair them consistently last season, so there's that. The confidence a defence can have in good retention is invaluable. 

This is the same Rumsby that played a big part in stranraers promotion push 4 years ago. 

I suggest he is proven at this level

Some while ago I actually looked at his stats with Stranraer in this league (you can see it here, if you go in and click 'detailed performance data'). One season was woeful: barely a clean sheet and Stranaer took regular doings. Another was superb: loads of clean sheets and very few goals conceded overall.

It's never those things which I look at first of all though, because it's a team game. In Rumsby I simply see a defender who, for sure, knows the basics, is reasonably aggressive in going about the business of defending and has a decent bit of experience about him all in. However, he's not the nippiest, nor the biggest, albeit he's quite well timed in both his jumps and his tackles. He and Howie, to the extent they've improved, have done so while having an easier ride than against Airdrie, Raith, Thistle and so on. They've been allowed to walk it up the park, and the defending they've done has been both minimal and always on their toes, as we've been enjoying lots of possession in addition to tightening-up/narrowing our shape while defending. We're better drilled, in other words, and more apt to play to cover their weaknesses.

Any defence will cave if the pressure mounts indefinitely, but I think it's a case of seeing what they're like in between the extremes. You still see Howie doing some mental things in possession and being that wee bit more timid than you'd like. And you still see Rumsby trailing play where a better defender wouldn't be, or maybe losing a header to bigger centre-forward in an unfortunate area.

But if we take a step back, mind. And ask: could we use better defenders (always the nag early on in the season and pre-season)? And take the benchmarks of Lang, Waddell, Stewart and all these player who we've had in the recent past then the answer remains a clear yes. I don't think it's settled law that we've gotten over that hump. The hump being that we've got some sketchy defenders and could, if team's catch-on, be easily shown up.

Edited by Sao Paulo

57 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Some while ago I actually looked at his stats with Stranraer in this league (you can see it here, if you go in and click 'detailed performance data'). One season was woeful: barely a clean sheet and Stranaer took regular doings. Another was superb: loads of clean sheets and very few goals conceded overall.

It's never those things which I look at first of all though, because it's a team game. In Rumsby I simply see a defender who, for sure, knows the basics, is reasonably aggressive in going about the business of defending and has a decent bit of experience about him all in. However, he's not the nippiest, nor the biggest, albeit he's quite well timed in both his jumps and his tackles. He and Howie, to the extent they've improved, have done so while having an easier ride than against Airdrie, Raith, Thistle and so on. They've been allowed to walk it up the park, and the defending they've done has been both minimal and always on their toes, as we've been enjoying lots of possession in addition to tightening-up/narrowing our shape while defending. We're better drilled, in other words, and more apt to play to cover their weaknesses.

Any defence will cave if the pressure mounts indefinitely, but I think it's a case of seeing what they're like in between the extremes. You still see Howie doing some mental things in possession and being that wee bit more timid than you'd like. And you still see Rumsby trailing play where a better defender wouldn't be, or maybe losing a header to bigger centre-forward in an unfortunate area.

But if we take a step back, mind. And ask: could we use better defenders (always the nag early on in the season and pre-season)? And take the benchmarks of Lang, Waddell, Stewart and all these player who we've had in the recent past then the answer remains a clear yes. I don't think it's settled law that we've gotten over that hump. The hump being that we've got some sketchy defenders and could, if team's catch-on, be easily shown up.

I think you've got too much time on your hands

I think you've got too much time on your hands

You can say that again. He's a fuckin' hermit. We managed to get him out for a couple of weeks to places like the pub and McDonalds but he decided to revert to type and be an unsociable, housebound c**t that doesn't even know what a microwave is.

archie.png.dcc049cefb44a73c2f39d3a24f5dd7ff.png

On 29/09/2019 at 10:46, David W said:

I think it was his knee. Started running too soon and has had to reign it in.

So Lyon's back on Saturday meaning it could release Cuddihy as a midfield option

Sounds like Rankin could be a while if he's had a bad reaction to the pin in his ankle.  If Norway's problem was a knee injury, depending on what it is, they can be notorious for going on a while and ending up needing surgery like Cogill.  Hopefully it's not too serious but it could be the case he's out quite a while yet.  It's a pity because he was bang in form pre-season and would add a lot to what we have right now.   What's the situation with Fitzpatrick, he looked like he was coming onto a bit of a game until he got injured - any word on when he'll be back ?  

Sounds like they'll need to rest Love until he's fully recovered or it could make things worse.  Been quite unlucky with injuries this early in the season.

Last time I saw Fitzpatrick (QotS or Stranraer, I can't remember which) he was on crutches so wouldn't expect him to be fit any time soon. 

Would be great to have Ross Lyon back and playing the way he was up to his injury put him out.   

The Lyon-Cuddihy conundrum, if both deployed on the right side for me would be to have Lyon in the front, covering and tucking in as per needed. His best game (like several) imo was the Edinburgh 1st leg, albeit at right back, but for balance it would stiffen us up a bit. That also opens the question of Johnston's place, as he comes into good form. It's looking good, so far. 

Who is standing between McStay & Grant in the picture used on the website for 'Sponsor a Clyde shirt for 2019-20' ?
is it not barry cuddhy

ps whatever happened to the ludicrous idea of fans paying to be in the team photo[emoji23]

27 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

ps whatever happened to the ludicrous idea of fans paying to be in the team photoemoji23.png

That is still in hand.   What was ludicrous about it may i ask?  I asked our former chair (For one fan to join it) and he was happy to help facilitate more.  Unfortunately due a few being on holiday that have paid for this it wasn't arranged the night when this photo was taken.  It will be arranged shortly.    

Edited by Adolfo Rios

52 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

That is still in hand.   What was ludicrous about it may i ask?  I asked our former chair (For one fan to join it) and he was happy to help facilitate more.  Unfortunately due a few being on holiday that have paid for this it wasn't arranged the night when this photo was taken.  It will be arranged shortly.    

Can I ask what amount was raised by this ?

so there will now be two squad photographs so what one is the club going to use ?

2 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

The team photo thing?  Was around £500 mark.

Have to agree with your sentiments that it’s hardly ridiculous, and a very handy sum raised. Seems like cfcuk has a bit of a Hardon for any volunteers and anything they do. Perhaps he should step up and do better - only the club can win 

oh wait 

😂

3 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

so there will now be two squad photographs so what one is the club going to use ?

The club will use the one published (I would think) and there will be a second with those fans that paid for it being arranged.  I hope they will publish this one too. 

Edited by Adolfo Rios