Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Grant isnt a left back. Never has been and never will be. And playing him there in League 1 would be a disaster.

For me Fitzpatrick isnt good enough for league 1 standard either. Jury out on Howie still as its early days for him.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

12 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

For me Fitzpatrick isnt good enough for league 1 standard either. Jury out on Howie still as its early days for him.

The jury is still out on Howie but a couple of appearances as a backup striker is enough to judge Fitzpatrick? I'm not saying he's definitely going to be good enough, but to pretend anyone has seen enough to judge him accurately yet is nonsense.

Have to admit, the Fitzpatrick think really baffles me; apparently always been a CH and seems to be impressive enough at Clydebank playing there yet we never seem to have tried him in what is his natural position.

Suppose Lennon has watched him and just doesn’t see a CH at this level?

Edited by FREDDYFRY

Have to admit, the Fitzpatrick think really baffles me; apparently always been a CH and seems to be impressive enough at Clydebank playing there yer we never seem to have tried him there.
Suppose Lennon has watched him and just doesn’t see a CH at this level?
he is listed as a forward and lennon is quoted as saying he is in the squad as a forward

The jury is still out on Howie but a couple of appearances as a backup striker is enough to judge Fitzpatrick? I'm not saying he's definitely going to be good enough, but to pretend anyone has seen enough to judge him accurately yet is nonsense.
back up ? to who DGW , Smith , Norway , Love , the boy isnt even 3rd choice so dont see how he will get into the team To me he looks like a centre half stuck up front for the last ten minutes of a game , not his fault

probably start tonight and get a hat trick [emoji23]

In the 80's young players coming through solved these problems, I'm talking about the likes of Nevin, McQueen, Flexney etc.  It wasn't that we had an extensive youth set up, we had a good scouting system who sourced talented players from various boys clubs.  They would then be put into the reserves, that's when it was a proper reserve league, not today's glorified youth league.

That meant these young fellas were getting on job training next to experienced pro's which in turn meant their development was quicker and they were often ready for the step up anywhere from age 17 - 19.  Because the RL no longer exists, the top clubs are now sending their players to the likes of us, but it's not as good.  But it's why Cogill & Banks publicly acknowledged their time with us, the chance to play with experienced players and how it helped them develop.

Reason I'm saying this, Danny could look at tonight's game and the Glasgow Cup as a chance to replicate the idea.  Pick a team with some experience but blood some of whatever young lads we have, give them a chance.  He's getting a free hit, I doubt most really care about these competitions, so he's got nothing to lose and he might just unearth a couple of diamonds and possibly in the positions we really need.   Keep hearing about we've got some kind of a youth set up, some promising young players in and around the club.  Well let's turn the talk into meaningful action, play them.

Otherwise all he can do is try out different CH combinations, see if anything gels, but he'll definitely not resolve the LB position anyway

In the 80's young players coming through solved these problems, I'm talking about the likes of Nevin, McQueen, Flexney etc.  It wasn't that we had an extensive youth set up, we had a good scouting system who sourced talented players from various boys clubs.  They would then be put into the reserves, that's when it was a proper reserve league, not today's glorified youth league.
That meant these young fellas were getting on job training next to experienced pro's which in turn meant their development was quicker and they were often ready for the step up anywhere from age 17 - 19.  Because the RL no longer exists, the top clubs are now sending their players to the likes of us, but it's not as good.  But it's why Cogill & Banks publicly acknowledged their time with us, the chance to play with experienced players and how it helped them develop.
Reason I'm saying this, Danny could look at tonight's game and the Glasgow Cup as a chance to replicate the idea.  Pick a team with some experience but blood some of whatever young lads we have, give them a chance.  He's getting a free hit, I doubt most really care about these competitions, so he's got nothing to lose and he might just unearth a couple of diamonds and possibly in the positions we really need.   Keep hearing about we've got some kind of a youth set up, some promising young players in and around the club.  Well let's turn the talk into meaningful action, play them.
Otherwise all he can do is try out different CH combinations, see if anything gels, but he'll definitely not resolve the LB position anyway

we now have an under 21 team surely another source to bring young players to the club and give them first team experience especially through the glasgow cup and see if they can progress through to the first team , even put them on the bench for games. If we show this type of development and players progress then it makes talented players see coming to the club as an attractive proposition.

54 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

we now have an under 21 team surely another source to bring young players to the club and give them first team experience especially through the glasgow cup and see if they can progress through to the first team , even put them on the bench for games. If we show this type of development and players progress then it makes talented players see coming to the club as an attractive proposition.

The theory of having multiple youth teams sounded good, but with the exception of 2 or 3 clubs have delivered very little for the reason I'm saying, they reach age 17, haven't played with experienced Pro's, managers feel they're too much of a risk as a result.  So it stunts quicker development & they get loaned out.

Most clubs, mainly in the Premiership, should be asked what their youth set up is actually for.  Is it genuinely to bring through young players or really a PR stunt to look part of the community?

A Premiership Club treasurer & chairman  know that the youth set up costs money but usually attracts a substantial amount of sponsorship which meets most of those costs.  A real Reserve Team also costed money but rarely attracted sponsorship.  While at the same time complaining they're not making enough from future transfer fees....you couldn't make these people up !

But if we have this slimmed down U21 & U18 system or whatever, and there's these competitions like tonight & the Glasgow Cup, it's a no brainer to try some of them out 

The theory of having multiple youth teams sounded good, but with the exception of 2 or 3 clubs have delivered very little for the reason I'm saying, they reach age 17, haven't played with experienced Pro's, managers feel they're too much of a risk as a result.  So it stunts quicker development & they get loaned out.

We should enter Colt team in the Tunnocks caramel wafer cup.

It'll give the youngsters experience against experienced professionals.

Of course, it'll be for the benefit of the national team.

25 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

We should enter Colt team in the Tunnocks caramel wafer cup.

It'll give the youngsters experience against experienced professionals.

Of course, it'll be for the benefit of the national team.

And that's the whole flaw with the Colt system.  The young lads need to play with experienced Pro's who help talk them through the game, learn their trade.  A youth system's fine if there's a proper Reserve set up to feed into, but we don't have that.  Statistically a very small percentage of players loaned out return to establish themselves in their parent club's first team because development through a Reserve team often with still a far higher standard of player is more productive.  That's how it worked when our sides generally did far better at European and international level compared to now.  As it stands the Colt system is a complete waste of time

But as for us, I would definitely use these competitions to at least try out a few  

5 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Well that's true regarding him being a defender but he's definitely not a striker!

7 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Well that's true regarding him being a defender but he's definitely not a striker!

Both have played about the same number of minutes for the club, altogether. You can't dismiss one, while leaving it open for the other. Howie has impressed me far more, personally, but like the McNiff situation we clearly can't find better than Fitzpatrick to fill out the squad a bit. I'm not suggesting he's the new Keogh, but Lennon sees something there.

Not particularly looking forward to tonight’s game,but I’ll be there nonetheless.Plenty of fans on here making it clear they won’t because we are playing a Colts team.What difference does it make whether it is Motherwell Colts or Falkirk? It is a national cup competition and the composition of the opposition is irrelevant.