Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

All the league and cup rejigging that's been done over the past ten years or so has just been a dice throw by governing-body executives who were either bored or too ready to take seriously the whines of supporters amplified through the papers and suchlike; the amplification making it seem as though there was an irresistible consensus in favour of fiddling at the margins with the league and cup arrangements. As for putting it to a vote of clubs, again, of course they're going to vote in favour if it'd do them one. Ask me: would you like your next exam to be easier? I'd say aye if I thought the resulting qualification still traded-in for the same value in the labour market.

'You told us the game needed spicing up, so here's what we did'. It's the sort of job-justifying pish that those of us working in large corporations or in the public sector are probably all too familiar with occupationally. The only thing I'd give credit for is the pyramid: creating a back door for shite mobs and an entrance for ambitious non-league teams. Otherwise, what's it amounted to? Some teams benefitting from a play-off based promotion where they'd otherwise have stayed down; some teams missing out on automatic promotion/surviving demotion because of their play-off results; team's treating cup games against colt sides with contempt; a fixture pile-up leaving teams shattered on day one of the league campaign; a 'destination' tie in Wales, Ireland or England for lucky wee teams. Might as well've done nothing. It's done bugger all to improve the quality of football or player - nor will it. And on the added excitement point, I couldn't give a toss myself. Way I see the play-offs, they've operated to preserve the employment of mediocre managers, and lowered the aspirations of clubs which, in the past, would've had to have benchmarked finishing 2nd or 1st as success; now 4th will do.

As for cups, the only one that's worth a damn now domestically is the Scottish cup. The rest are a contrived distraction. And whatever the UEFA Nations League is can take a flying focus to itself as well. Turn the clock back. Where's Walter, get him in.

Glad you're back and feeling well again after Niffgate. 

Every point here gets a gold star. Never mind the injection of conspiracy theories over Old Firm u21sides being favoured to continuing their presence should the elite league invitation ever materialise, or those of the cross-border element keeping that outcome warm for a crack at the EPL (never happening, btw..), its ( this Challenge Cup dickfoolery) benefit is the sum of bugger all, for any of us, and i'd go so far as to level out the comments by suggesting its a confirmation bias of the bigotry contained in low expectations. It's really quite sad, actually.

We have no less than i'd personally call eight  still-nationally relevant clubs if it were retained as purely an SPFL contest. Namely both Dundee clubs, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Thistle, ICT, Raith and QotS. First five or six have been the odd Cup finalists/top flight settlers of varying degrees (given that before Falkirk in '97, there were no Cup finalists in any competition not from the Premier Division since 1975s league reconstruction- we've had nine in the intervening 22 years since) and the other two still contain a segment of public well-wishing far greater than what two-bit mobs possess, from three barely-there leagues which really, based on every socioeconomic factor between our industry and theirs, shouldn't be calling what they do, the same damn sport. A quarter final away or home to any of those eight (or even Morton or Ayr, though they're in a bit of a reputational sinkhole themselves these days) is far more appealling than anything this Frankenstein Cup can ever now offer. 

The playoffs i have to agree, b*****dise the point of the incubus of a league table. I blame the authorities for pandering to low IQ, high-dependency dopamine junkies unable to find excitement or appreciation in the arts and crafts of the sport, relying on quick hits (3 pts in this case) to feed the habit, which naturally leads to a situation where if you win every week, most of those addicts care little for the joy of a well-earned trophy while they're busy going cold turkey.

The struggle set out by nailing ambitions to the floor gives them what they want, and the rest of us have to suffer it. Its a bit like death and stupidity, actually. 

Jesus Christ...we're only two games in!! Granted, today was a bit of a shambles but we're a few first team players down at the moment and I cannot stress enough how much we're missing Rankin in particular. Not a chance in hell would we have shipped 5 goals today had he been playing. Goodwillie is nowhere near fully recovered from his injury and is way off the pace. I think he needs to sit out for at least a couple of weeks to properly recover. Yes, he's scored in both games so far but he's far too important a player for us to keep playing him when he clearly ain't fully fit. 

Can we please resist hitting the panic button just yet? As bad as we were today, we still managed to score a couple of goals against a very good Raith side. With Love coming back into contention and Cuddihy, Norway and Rankin on the way back there are grounds for optimism. Eff the diddy cup but let's head to Airdrie in our droves and show this league what the Clyde are about! 

Has anyone noticed any improvement in our defensive prowess since the Hamilton game?

I haven't!

Do we look better organised as the players get used to working with each other?

Nope

Anyone have any reassuring words regarding our defence that will give me some optimism for the season ahead?

I’ve never seen tony Wallace play right back ever and it baffles me every time it’s mentioned to put him in there.

I’d like McNiff in at centre half with a new left back in, he’s not a left back and harsh on him to constantly criticise as much(I agree he’s been poor btw) 

Edited by SLClyde

12 hours ago, SLClyde said:

I’ve never seen tony Wallace play right back ever and it baffles me every time it’s mentioned to put him in there.

I’d like McNiff in at centre half with a new left back in, he’s not a left back and harsh on him to constantly criticise as much(I agree he’s been poor btw) 

This would be reverting to the disastrous pairing he and Rumsby formed until December last year, presumably? 

5-2 would quickly become literally a cricket score i'm afraid. 

I've been nice regarding McNiff until now, much more so than several of our other 'star men' who were in high demand to re-sign and have lifted not one finger yet this season. No longer. He was hopeless at CB, and one of the quirks of fate that seem to make Lennon's mind up for him, to shoe horn what was a decent L2 jobber into his team because he could score goals. In actual play, he often did what the f**k he liked. 

If he should play, it should be as a three with him and Rumsby equidistant to the unfortunate and seemingly scapegoated Howie, who's shown more leadership and decision making than any other defender so far. 

The same could apply to Rankin's final position, after being jigged around the midfield (and left back once) for four months. McStay and Grant have been equally honking, with some idiots claiming the former was "outstanding" against EF. If that performance is the barometer of excellence, our issues are worse than can be imagined. However, we had this last autumn as well, and they grew together superbly. Whatever their problem is, and that of the others too, Lennon needs to sort it out but he has form in doing this, however several look unfit and frankly disinterested. Thats just not on. 

This would be reverting to the disastrous pairing he and Rumsby formed until December last year, presumably? 

I've been nice regarding McNiff until now, much more so than several of our other 'star men' who were in high demand to re-sign and have lifted not one finger yet this season. No longer. He was hopeless at CB, and one of the quirks of fate that seem to make Lennon's mind up for him, to shoe horn what was a decent L2 jobber into his team because he could score goals. In actual play, he often did what the f**k he liked. 

If he should play, it should be as a three with him and Rumsby equidistant to the unfortunate and seemingly scapegoated Howie, who's shown more leadership and decision making than any other defender so far. 

The same could apply to Rankin's final position, after being jigged around the midfield (and left back once) for four months. McStay and Grant have been equally honking, with some idiots claiming the former was "outstanding" against EF. If that performance is the barometer of excellence, our issues are worse than can be imagined. However, we had this last autumn as well, and they grew together superbly. Whatever their problem is, and that of the others too, Lennon needs to sort it out but he has form in doing this, however several look unfit and frankly disinterested. Thats just not on. 

manager simply didnt address the defence over the summer , didnt even go looking for a left back , resigned duffie who played 26 times in 2 years ( thats not even starting games ) now injured will be lucky if he will reach 30 appearances in 3 years not his fault like mcniff , just not good enough ,as said howie is now the scape goat for lennon

but hey look on the brightside the manager isnt concerned , he is too busy having a laugh and a joke with ths press after his side has lost 5 2 wonder if he was in the premier league managing a club would have same attitude ?

so we just have to hope the defenders at the club somehow become remotely compotent and manage to conceed only 2 goals per game mabye give us a chance of getting a point or a win here or there

35 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

It isn't absurd to look at a full back who contributed 12 or so goals and see some value. However, he is not playing well, and whilst I felt that some of the criticism was harsh his defending yesterday was poor. The other thing is he has not made any attempt to get up the park, unsurprisingly the way we are losing goals, so the threat he posed has gone. The reason for him being there has also gone.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It isn't absurd to look at a full back who contributed 12 or so goals and see some value. However, he is not playing well, and whilst I felt that some of the criticism was harsh his defending yesterday was poor. The other thing is he has not made any attempt to get up the park, unsurprisingly the way we are losing goals, so the threat he posed has gone. The reason for him being there has also gone.

A natural result of playing a higher standard of opponent, consistently, for a month i would say. Asserting ourselves like we did last year, gave us McNiff as that very option, as he barely had a 'man' to mark at times. Its a very different game we're playing now. Most wide-rights in the division have something to prove this season, our own included. Some good players among them who'll destroy us, in this form. And Lennon has to arm his players accordingly. 

2 hours ago, cfcuk said:
2 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:
Will squad rotation be applied mid week?

we only have 15 or so fit players so I doubt it

Ah, not good.

Also if Clyde win would the next round be played on the 7th Sept? Hopefully Clyde progress especially after getting done by Accies youth last year.

Edited by TheBigGuy

That full back line bar Cuddihy isn't good enough for this level. We're a leaderless, inexperienced gang at the back. We need to do something radical like offloading players; otherwise we'll prop up the league.

Oh, and there's no such thing as confidence or momentum. Those things are fictitious.

The early days patter is wish thought. Without sweeping personnel changes at the back, we'll have a c**t of a season.

That full back line bar Cuddihy isn't good enough for this level. We're a leaderless, inexperienced gang at the back. We need to do something radical like offloading players; otherwise we'll prop up the league.
Oh, and there's no such thing as confidence or momentum. Those things are fictitious.
The early days patter is wish thought. Without sweeping personnel changes at the back, we'll have a c**t of a season.
think this might be considered as panicking , your in trouble [emoji23]

43 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

No such thing as confidence?

Turn it in.