Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Certain players can go now i.e. Fitzpatrick and Lyons on today's display.
I honestly thought lyons did ok today got very little passes thought he was good when he got the ball , fitzpatrick just looks like a centre half stuck up front

mcniff managed to put in another abysmal petfotmance as for mcstay possibly worst player on the park no idea what lennon has been playing at in the league cup and going by him sitting in the dugout looking at his finger nails for the last five minutes and penalties niether did he [emoji23]

so all the excuses about getting up to speed etc out the window now league starts saturday if mcniff is at left back then east fife will have a field day

Interesting post-match comments from Lennon here. All but confirming Petkov coming in on loan - though he wasn't named - but no talk of anything beyond that, and a both wry and guarded answer to the interviewer's question about whether or not the performances in the cup have changed his (Lennon's) mind about the need to add to his squad. Lennon landed on the conclusion that he had the tools he needed, making reference to Love and Rankin still being out and so on. A wee bit worryingly, Syvertsen's taken a knock today. So we might be fielding a half-fit Goodie on his tod next week.

Not great. Perhaps we'll see John Rankin play left-back again once he returns?

1 minute ago, Sao Paulo said:

Interesting post-match comments from Lennon here. All but confirming Petkov coming in on loan - though he wasn't named - but no talk of anything beyond that, and a both wry and guarded answer to the interviewer's question about whether or not the performances in the cup have changed his (Lennon's) mind about the need to add to his squad. Lennon landed on the conclusion that he had the tools he needed, making reference to Love and Rankin still being out and so on. A wee bit worryingly, Syvertsen's taken a knock today. So we might be fielding a half-fit Goodie on his tod next week.

Not great. Perhaps we'll see John Rankin play left-back again once he returns?

Goodie is having trouble with his ankle noticed him limping whilst warming up, love might need an operation, rankin had complications meaning he's out for a while longer and now Syvertsen took a knock. 

Oh, jobby. Probably Smith up himself then. I'd honestly be three-five-two-ing it just now. Smith with Johnston behind. McStay, Wallace and Lamont - while Grant is out for the opener - behind with Cuddihy and Duffie (left) outside. Petkov, Rumsby and McNiff in a three. Mitchell in the sticks, of course. That's a damage limitation line-up that. Grim to contemplate for the season opener.

the same interview from lennon after all the league cup games , clearly from that last one the budget is just about done in if not already , but as with every manager the old squad is stretched shite trotted always a good fall back position

well here is a thing mabye if you had got some prize money from league cup you could strengthen the squad only floating an idea

just need to hope on a couple of loans

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

Aye: we'll be bringing a mid-table league two defence into league one if we don't sign another two or three players for that line.

I've begun to think trying Tony Wallace in the centre beside the new signing (Petkov) might be worth a punt. Gives you two truly physically imposing players, who're reasonably mobile and decent with the ball on the deck. It'd also put Wallace to use, because I don't see him being a particularly good centre-mid, and it'd be a shame to have him be a stop-gap because he's quite handy at a lot of things. I'd try Rumbsy with Petkov first if we're going to keep the four, of course; he at least knows the position and has seasons of league one experience behind him.

Anyone coming back with 'Oh, he's never played there...'; 'You're the very one that moans about players being used out of position'. Aye, I know that. But we've had players transition from being decent or poor midfield players to being very good defenders. Indeed, Petkov only became a centre-half last season because - to paraphrase Levein - he wouldn't have a future at Hearts as a centre-mid. By all accounts, he's taken to being a centre-half very ably. I understand Tom Lang was a midfield player not all that long ago, too. And Billy Gibson would be another relatively recent example of a midfielder turned (excellent) sweeper and full-back. Wallace has got the same fitness chops as Lang, and reads play well. I'd like to see what Wallace is like in the air when he doesn't have his back to goal. If he's good that way, then he's an outstanding candidate, IMO. I think he could be quite an effective organiser, too.

Tom Lang never a midfielder- CB since very early age. Played in midfield once for us- 

Get off the internet..... 😂

From listening to Danny’s comments of today’s game about the loan player coming in (assuming it’s Petkov) that’s simply not enough. From reading about him he seems to be a CH which is great but again for the 100th time we really need a LB. hopefully another loan pops up but quite scary thinking if we don’t get one how the defence will be. Trust Danny though to sort things out.

From listening to Danny’s comments of today’s game about the loan player coming in (assuming it’s Petkov) that’s simply not enough. From reading about him he seems to be a CH which is great but again for the 100th time we really need a LB. hopefully another loan pops up but quite scary thinking if we don’t get one how the defence will be. Trust Danny though to sort things out.

Sounding like a banker for the Fife?

Read the stuff about the budget maybe being stretched.  Boyle replaced by Smith.  Nicoll replaced by Wallace.  Banks replaced by Johnston.  Currie replaced by Mitchell.  Lang, Cogill & Stewart replaced by Howie.  Fitzpatrick put on pro terms.  That's breaking the bank now, is it? OK.....

Also listened to Danny's comments yesterday.  He seems to be saying two things, first the suggestion there's a few players still celebrating last season and no turned up yet. ..his words, no mine.  What I do know is we've a very strong pool of midfielders and strikers, including those that have to return from injury.  If they're allowed to focus on doing their job we'll have no worries there.

But as Danny's also saying, the defence is a problem & if it's not sorted it'll start to affect the whole team, absolutely no question, seen it time & time again.  Feel for McNiff a bit, he's getting scapegoated.  He got brought in last season more for his experience than being a natural LB & it worked for us, but that can only go on so long.   DL's an honest enough fella & accepts responsibility lies with him.  He knew what he let go so must have known what he'd need to strengthen.  Sounds like one of the positions might be sorted out this week, but he'll have to sort out the other.   If he does,  that'll make a big difference to the whole team & we'll be fine....but he'll need to.

16 hours ago, HughieMc said:

Tom Lang never a midfielder- CB since very early age. Played in midfield once for us- 

Get off the internet..... 😂

He actually played in midfield while with Birmingham and Rangers, albeit in each case not for all that long.

1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Read the stuff about the budget maybe being stretched.  Boyle replaced by Smith.  Nicoll replaced by Wallace.  Banks replaced by Johnston.  Currie replaced by Mitchell.  Lang, Cogill & Stewart replaced by Howie.  Fitzpatrick put on pro terms.  That's breaking the bank now, is it? OK.....

That's excluding several players signing new contracts. Having performed well and got us promotion, most will presumably have got at least small wage increases. Some (Grant? McStay?) maybe larger increases.

I would also assume Chris Johnston is getting more than Banks loan would have cost us (just guessing there though).

Plus new contracts for the manager & assistant. That's not to say the budget is used up, but it will have had an impact on it.

Edited by Jaggy Snake