Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

8 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

So you don’t think we need a left back then Domino?

Where did i say otherwise? And what would be the point in recruiting one if we're predisposed to just concede goals anyway, as per your nihilistic view?

We actually need more than just that, but the tone of acknowledging this has swung between playing a higher number of defenders, with less personnel to fill the positions, to criticising forwards for missed chances after one game.  You tell me which one is a bigger problem!

Edited by Domino the Dug

Jose Mourinho has the strategy of if you don’t lose a goal you don’t lose a game. (Not pretty at all - park the bus)

Alex Ferguson had the strategy of go absolute gung ho (with a decent all round team but very top heavy) and out score the opponent.

I know I would rather the latter [emoji23]

4 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Jose Mourinho has the strategy of if you don’t lose a goal you don’t lose a game. (Not pretty at all - park the bus)

Alex Ferguson had the strategy of go absolute gung ho (with a decent all round team but very top heavy) and out score the opponent.

I know I would rather the latter emoji23.png

Would watch a Ferguson team over Mourinho any day, but Fergie's tactics weren't gung ho

Both at Aberdeen & Man U he went with a standard back 4 & 2 workhorses in centre midfield also expected to muck in defensively

His attack was based on 2 wide players & 2 strikers, often hitting on the break due to their pace. 

As one of the lads said earlier in the thread, having a creative and dangerous midfield and forward line full of goals is great, but if they're in front of a defence constantly leaking goals it becomes demoralizing, and starts to drain confidence.   That's just as a general rule. I'm not saying our back 4 will definitely leak loads of goals, but they definitely need back up options. Hopefully Danny can sort out a couple of things by the time the league campaign starts.

Would watch a Ferguson team over Mourinho any day, but Fergie's tactics weren't gung ho
Both at Aberdeen & Man U he went with a standard back 4 & 2 workhorses in centre midfield also expected to muck in defensively
His attack was based on 2 wide players & 2 strikers, often hitting on the break due to their pace. 
As one of the lads said earlier in the thread, having a creative and dangerous midfield and forward line full of goals is great, but if they're in front of a defence constantly leaking goals it becomes demoralizing, and starts to drain confidence.   That's just as a general rule. I'm not saying our back 4 will definitely leak loads of goals, but they definitely need back up options. Hopefully Danny can sort out a couple of things by the time the league campaign starts.
for a minute there I thought you meant Barry Ferguson [emoji6]

Can guarantee you that our defence will secure at least a decent number of clean sheets this season. One competitive game against an SPL side and folk are writing them off already. I thought they looked decent, were genuinely unlucky with the first two goals, albeit at fault for the third.

I also thought Howie was last man for the third as well

Don't know what the manager is playing at but for a team who can't defend to be putting no pressure on Airdrie at all, is madness. Having Smith and Johnston out on the touchline isn't working. Garbage all round.

McNiff and Howie have been unlucky today as well  :lol: ?

Very poor so far. A positive start again but since then we’ve struggled to create much at all. Big learning curve for the team - if that’s the standard then we’re miles off it. McNiff miles off it again today and Howie miscues a clearance that leads to the penalty and then needlessly dives into a tackle to give away the free kick for the second (which came after our own laughably bad attempt at a free kick at the other end). Hopefully a big improvement in the second half.

26 minutes ago, David W said:

McNiff and Howie have been unlucky today as well  :lol: ?

You tell 'im David. Get fuckin' stuck right in there...

Edited by Sao Paulo

Posted over on the cup thread here.

No issue with people saying no panic required - because there isn't really, not while we're still recruiting - but don't come on giving it some pish about how Lennon's infallible, we're all ungrateful and the players need time. We need two or three more defenders. Anyone who disagrees is either ignorant or content to flirt with relegation.

2 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Wasn’t there today but going forward we are absolutely fine and will score a good few goals. It’s clear to see we’ll need a defender or two in, and I imagine Danny is working on that. 

Or regretting his frees