Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I thought similar for the first two goals but the third was poor. The boy just ran straight through the middle leaving howie in his wake.

Yeah was definitely poor from Howie but I reckon it was more to do with worrying about a potential red and missing a defender for Sunday had he mistimed his challenge rather than his inability to stop the attack

Howie was ok but not Tom Lang

18 months ago Tom Lang was not Tom Lang. He was released by Dumbarton and Stranraer (both almost relegated last season) and now he’s off to the championship. Give Howie some time with Lennon. He won almost every header against their huge centre forwards and was good with the ball at his feet.

Unbelievable how negative people can be. We were decent against an SPL side. Let’s see what happens on Sunday

27 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

[...] Surely we can be a little patient before writing the season off as one where we’ll need to score 3 goals per game just to win? [...].

Patient for more signings or loans, certainly. Nobody's writing off the season until they've seen who comes in the door - and we know more will.

However, if it's those four at the back enduringly, with Cuddihy swapped out for Duffie in the best case, I don't mind sticking my neck out now and saying that we'll need 2-3 goals a game to be getting three points regularly.

On the Liam Allison comment. I think you'll be a minority of one in having no problem with us giving him a deal. He'd be a bad sub, nevermind in the running for a jersey.

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

On the Liam Allison comment. I think you'll be a minority of one in having no problem with us giving him a deal. He'd be a bad sub, nevermind in the running for a jersey.

He played well against Bonnyrigg. Didn't see him in any of the other games.

2 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

Yeah was definitely poor from Howie but I reckon it was more to do with worrying about a potential red and missing a defender for Sunday had he mistimed his challenge rather than his inability to stop the attack

Surely a professional foul in that instance would've only been a yellow? He went by Howie about 30 yards from goal with covering defenders coming over also. We were only a goal behind and really pushing for an equaliser with Goodwillie about to come on too. It was silly not to bring the boy down in the circumstances  if he couldn't challenge him fairly.

Edited by C. Muir

Surely a professional foul in that instance would've only been a yellow? He went by Howie about 30 yards from goal with covering defenders coming over also. We were only a goal behind and really pushing for an equaliser with Goodwillie about to come on too. It was silly not to bring the boy down in the circumstances  if he couldn't challenge him fairly.

Exactly how I saw it. I was screaming "bring him down" from the stand.

He needs to be a bit more savvy.

Was down at Broadwood today and noticed the seats in the away stand now spell out Clyde FC with the OKI gone. About 2 or 3 rows of seats missing in away stand too. Don't know if they still to be replaced or if that a standing section now?

On the defence we conceded 3 against Motherwell and Queen of the South in the league cup last season. Would expect that Lennon will bring another 1 or 2 defenders. We are in better shape than a lot of teams. Dumbarton only had 3 subs and Brechin's 45 year old manager had to play for them[emoji23]

3 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

18 months ago Tom Lang was not Tom Lang. He was released by Dumbarton and Stranraer (both almost relegated last season) and now he’s off to the championship. Give Howie some time with Lennon. He won almost every header against their huge centre forwards and was good with the ball at his feet.

Unbelievable how negative people can be. We were decent against an SPL side. Let’s see what happens on Sunday

Howie’s played one game and he’s getting compared, He’s a Young boy and will definitely get better with more and more game time (just like Tom Lang did) give it time my friend 

10 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Unfortunately whether is bad luck or more likely poor decision making etc the evidence is still there that we have not completed a game with a clean sheet. I know at this level teams will always lose goals, that's why these guys are playing in lower league, however it plain to see that in our particular team it is the defensive aspect of our set up / signing targets we need to do something about. As said before I accept this is easier said than done with our budget.

Maybe its our set up we need to look at, back 4 perhaps a little bit more exposed than it was last year, which I'm sure Danny and Allan are acutely aware of?  Still very early days I suppose     

More holes than a Swiss cheese here, FreddyFry. 

Teams won't "always lose goals" just based on their level. Negative conditioning. Using our defensive form after the slapstick 3-3 draw with Berwick on the 1st of December as a guide, Rumsby first with Coggill then Lang, built the base from which promotion was secured. Less than a goal conceded a game, and conceding more than 1 goal less than once a month, is hardly an abilities handicap on being a lower league player, is it?

The Cowden goal in December was a joke, but after that, the (first) Peterhead incident wasn't their fault. Then, in April, for the second and third, yet more neurotic faffing from the goalie shat all over the laundry. Twice. 

But even if the defence was as big an unaddressed issue as is being discussed, with only five registered backs on the books in a squad of 17/18, are you suggesting the answer is to play MORE of those, negating our productive effectiveness elsewhere, and even likely dropping creative threats to accomodate this? Add the fact that Lennon is s staunch four disciple, and that his work is far from done on recruitment, i'd say these are terrific learning curves for Howie, and arguably Fitzpatrick should be benefitting also from at this stage. 

We've a right solid middle and a potentially explosive, and highly entertaining batch of attackers. Danny knows what needs fixing.

Surely the seats taken out of the away stand were used to do the necessary repairs in the main stand? The away stand, even without those seats is hardly likely to be over populated even if used more than once or twice, it is much more likely the end stand will be used for away fans, and if not it won't matter if the front three rows are missing, there will still be plenty of space. The only time it may matter is if we draw the Old Firm in the cup.

Surely the seats taken out of the away stand were used to do the necessary repairs in the main stand? The away stand, even without those seats is hardly likely to be over populated even if used more than once or twice, it is much more likely the end stand will be used for away fans, and if not it won't matter if the front three rows are missing, there will still be plenty of space. The only time it may matter is if we draw the Old Firm in the cup.
heard they are putting in a hospitality boxes

4 hours ago, Domino the Dug said:

More holes than a Swiss cheese here, FreddyFry. 

Teams won't "always lose goals" just based on their level. Negative conditioning. Using our defensive form after the slapstick 3-3 draw with Berwick on the 1st of December as a guide, Rumsby first with Coggill then Lang, built the base from which promotion was secured. Less than a goal conceded a game, and conceding more than 1 goal less than once a month, is hardly an abilities handicap on being a lower league player, is it?

The Cowden goal in December was a joke, but after that, the (first) Peterhead incident wasn't their fault. Then, in April, for the second and third, yet more neurotic faffing from the goalie shat all over the laundry. Twice. 

But even if the defence was as big an unaddressed issue as is being discussed, with only five registered backs on the books in a squad of 17/18, are you suggesting the answer is to play MORE of those, negating our productive effectiveness elsewhere, and even likely dropping creative threats to accomodate this? Add the fact that Lennon is s staunch four disciple, and that his work is far from done on recruitment, i'd say these are terrific learning curves for Howie, and arguably Fitzpatrick should be benefitting also from at this stage. 

We've a right solid middle and a potentially explosive, and highly entertaining batch of attackers. Danny knows what needs fixing.

The thinking fan’s post 🤔

13 hours ago, cfcuk said:
13 hours ago, chas said:

heard they are putting in a hospitality boxes

At the front? What are they, cardboard boxes or are they makin use of the old dugoots??!

Otherwise, no sure which part of concerns about the defence is difficult to understand

We lost 2 recognised CB's & a LB. We brought 1 CB in. We've no cover for 3 of the positions. We'll need cover. The end.