Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Gonnae get opened up like a tin can if we don't get a couple of new defenders.

But aye: attacking performance is undiminished from last season. Lots of good football in there, and without Goodie too.

Edited by Sao Paulo

For League 1 level, the squad of strikers & midfielders he's put together is very impressive.  A lot of competition for places for a lot of good players, there's no "fillers" there.  We've more than enough in those positions.  

Defence is another matter.  There's no competition for places & more to the point in the event of injuries or suspensions, no cover other than right back.  I've heard Danny say their business isn't finished yet so can only imagine it's the defence he's looking to strengthen.  He'll need to if the aim's to push for at least a top 4 spot over a long hard season.  Doesn't need to be a lot of players, but one or two quality signings will do.

1st game of the new season for me.

Howie did ok in defence, but we lack a leader in the back 4. GK looked competent but he didn't cover himself in glory for goals 2 and 3.  He should have had better cover at both. Amazed at his lack of height...just average player height not a giant.

Johnstone did well on the ball and flighted in nice crosses from the right but no strikers throwing themselves at the ball. 

Norway looked good. Wallace showed some skills and is a presence. Smith was a bit anonymous in my opinion. 

Accies are 2 leagues above us and no mugs, so difficult to tell on this match with such a peculiar setting, how our season will pan out.

DL and AM seem to have done well with us at gelling a squad. I think this worked in L2 but we need some specific quality added, if we're to have anything more than an season of hard graft. 

would imagine we will bring in at least I defender ( hopefully 2) as stated virtually no competion for places . We do seem to be playing a pretty attacking style so maybe the defence are being a bit more exposed. We do need some quality in the back line , overall the squad is looking good a couple of good strong defenders and we will make the play offs

Last night was why Mcniff isn't a long term solution to left back, howie was a bit all over the place, Wallace didn't work through the middle although he might do a job up top if we need to go long, we won't be playing premiership teams every week and the Airdrie game will give us a better reflection of where we are. 

A positive for me is we'll be one of the best attacking teams in league one with a fully fit rankin, Smith, goodie Johnston and Syvertsen. 

Edited by Only one David Marsh

The encouraging thing about this squad is that we have the firepower to outscore any team in the league. 

Saying that, we dont want to rely on that and have a solid defence as well as a great attacking midfield and forwards.

I think Johnstone is going to have a cracking season and will be our POTY.

Ousy See is on trial with Albion Rovers. Lacking a bit in fitness I understand and probably still on a road back since his bad injury a year or so ago. However, I'd take a punt on him no bother.

Bit of a boot in the balls Mo' getting Waddell and Albion getting Jordan Stewart and possibly Ousy See when we could do with players like that.

It’s been discussed many times the fact that McNiff is not a LB. his goals last year were incredible contribution so I don’t take any pleasure in seemingly singling him out for   criticism. It’s not his problem, it’s not lack of effort and he will still be a valuable squad player this year. But in this league we need a proper LB.

However I think it’s becoming clear that defensively we are not there yet; yes Lennon will improve Howie, but I would be much happier if we can get a CH with some experience and mobility to compliment Rumsby. 

Not sure if we are playing Wallace in correct position but again that is up to Lennon.. look how we improved immediately when Rankin was utilised properly. We are not far away and 2/3 signed for specific areas will make all the difference. I accept perhaps easier said than done at our level and spending limits.  

Cuddihy should be our right back. He’s much better there than in centre mid. Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion or not but I’ve never came away from any game where he’s played CM thinking he’s had anything but an alright game. 

Gonnae get opened up like a tin can if we don't get a couple of new defenders.

But aye: attacking performance is undiminished from last season. Lots of good football in there, and without Goodie too.

I actually thought the defence were not bad, first two accies goals were pot luck tbh, and if Howie had mistimed his tackle for the third he’d have been out for Sunday.

I actually thought the defence were not bad, first two accies goals were pot luck tbh, and if Howie had mistimed his tackle for the third he’d have been out for Sunday.

I thought similar for the first two goals but the third was poor. The boy just ran straight through the middle leaving howie in his wake.

Unfortunately whether is bad luck or more likely poor decision making etc the evidence is still there that we have not completed a game with a clean sheet. I know at this level teams will always lose goals, that's why these guys are playing in lower league, however it plain to see that in our particular team it is the defensive aspect of our set up / signing targets we need to do something about. As said before I accept this is easier said than done with our budget.

Maybe its our set up we need to look at, back 4 perhaps a little bit more exposed than it was last year, which I'm sure Danny and Allan are acutely aware of?  Still very early days I suppose     

We’ve played one competitive game FFS, against a Premiership team. I couldn’t give a damn about keeping cleansheets in friendlies, they’re for trying different things out, and I’m a long way off being worried about our defence yet.

Firstly, Lennon has said he’s not done trying to add to the squad and there’s plenty of time yet. I thought the trialist leftback (Allison?) looked okay in the friendlies and wouldn’t object to him being added.

Secondly, this part of the season is mainly about integrating new players and getting everyone’s match sharpness up. In the build up to the Hamilton game Lennon was out on the pitch working exclusively with the 4 guys starting in defence that night, and I’m sure he’s got plenty more training in mind regarding defending. Between friendlies and focusing on fitness in training, the actually coaching time the players have had so far will have been pretty limited.

Mitchell had looked very unconvincing in the two friendlies but put in a calm and commanding performance against Hamilton. Wallace showed nothing in the friendlies either but put in a decent battling display on Wednesday, at least until he picked up a booking. Howie looks promising, good in possession, but just not quite settled yet and clearly he and Rumsby need time to learn each others styles. Surely we can be a little patient before writing the season off as one where we’ll need to score 3 goals per game just to win?

We’ve still got McStay, Rankin & Goodwillie to get back into the team, all of whom take the ball off defenders while under pressure, put in good shifts getting around the park, and generally just increase our overall possession. That in itself changes how our defenders can play.

Finally, people need to move on from last season. Tom Lang chose to move elsewhere, Cogill has only recently had surgery and could still have months before being fully fit, and Stewart was nothing more than a solid fullback (who spent half of last year injured/unfit/absent, and didn’t play that well when Lennon did give him another chance).

Edited by Jaggy Snake