Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I wonder what size of squad we'll end up with. I'd say we need at least four more - Lang, McNiff and McStay (or similar replacements) plus a back-up 'keeper. If I was being really greedy, then I'd want another central midfielder with a good engine on top of that. 

A left back to would be nice.

I wonder what size of squad we'll end up with. I'd say we need at least five more - Lang, McNiff and McStay (or similar replacements) plus a back-up 'keeper and a starting-quality dedicated left-back. If I was being really greedy, then I'd want another central midfielder with a good engine on top of that. 

3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I wonder what size of squad we'll end up with. I'd say we need at least four more - Lang, McNiff and McStay (or similar replacements) plus a back-up 'keeper. If I was being really greedy, then I'd want another central midfielder with a good engine on top of that. 

As McNifficent as he's been I would want a proper left back in league 1. And we could be doing with another centre half aswell (even if Lang signs) unless Fitzpatrick is going to play there if called upon.

I see youve realised that now :)

Edited by C. Muir

3 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Falkirk, Airdrie, Morton and Ayr are all after Lang. I just hope he's see them all as a sideways step and sticks with us. 

With the exception of Airdrie, I would say that the other three are all clear steps up, what with their resources and full-time statuses. In saying that, moving to a new club throws up various uncertainties and he'll know that at Clyde he's one of the first names on the team sheet, able to develop his game under two good coaches and is also appreciated and supported by the fans. He could have his heart set on playing full-time football, but equally he could be enjoying/earning more from the combination of his part-time job, his modelling work and playing for us. Our best offer might not be good enough in the end, but I'd be very disappointed if he ditched us to go to Airdrie. I wouldn't have any massive grumbles about any of the other three sides, but there's a stability and familiarity here which they can't offer.

28 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

With the exception of Airdrie, I would say that the other three are all clear steps up, what with their resources and full-time statuses. In saying that, moving to a new club throws up various uncertainties and he'll know that at Clyde he's one of the first names on the team sheet, able to develop his game under two good coaches and is also appreciated and supported by the fans. He could have his heart set on playing full-time football, but equally he could be enjoying/earning more from the combination of his part-time job, his modelling work and playing for us. Our best offer might not be good enough in the end, but I'd be very disappointed if he ditched us to go to Airdrie. I wouldn't have any massive grumbles about any of the other three sides, but there's a stability and familiarity here which they can't offer.

Exactly Airdrie seem to be in a permanent crisis, There was talk of Morton going into administration a few weeks ago, Falkirk are a mess at the moment and Ayr has cut their playing budget. All those clubs will pay better than us but will they offer him the development and game time he guarantees with us under a settled board and management team. 

I'm hoping he stays on a 2 year deal gets more minutes under his belt in a tougher league and if he continues to develop like I hope he will (probably one of the best centre back talents in the lower leagues) and we can sell him on. 

Edited by Only one David Marsh

Grant re-signing is fantastic news. I think he’s also very good mates with McStay so hopefully he could convince him to sign back on. I’d love to see Lang back but I’d probably be more surprised than expectant to see that. I’d also be more than happy to see McNiff back too.

I think to compare fulltime with part time doesn't stack up Yes TL would be first name in team sheet but training 2 nights a week compared with 5 days a week if your ambitious full time football is the way to go , if your worried about not getting a game by moving up to championship then you ain't got the confidence / faith in your ability that the being the case then simply stay part time and limit your ambitions
I would think TL is desperate to go full time

If he was older than (almost) 22 and had more than not even half a season of impressive performances under his belt, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. In the end, it'll probably come down to how desperate he is to train five times a week as opposed to two. There aren't life-changing wages on offer at any of the interested clubs and I doubt - Airdrie and maybe Falkirk aside - he would be viewed as a nailed-on starter at the clubs mentioned, given the circumstances. A full injury-free season, working under a management team and at a club at which he's developed well so far, certainly wouldn't do his future prospects any harm, and if he were to stand out with us next season then I'd wager he would be attracting attention from more illustrious sides than the likes of Ayr and Morton. I do suspect he'll be away, but if he did stay then that isn't necessarily an unambitious decision, or one which will hinder his future prospects. 

If he was older than (almost) 22 and had more than not even half a season of impressive performances under his belt, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. In the end, it'll probably come down to how desperate he is to train five times a week as opposed to two. There aren't life-changing wages on offer at any of the interested clubs and I doubt - Airdrie and maybe Falkirk aside - he would be viewed as a nailed-on starter at the clubs mentioned, given the circumstances. A full injury-free season, working under a management team and at a club at which he's developed well so far, certainly wouldn't do his future prospects any harm, and if he were to stand out with us next season then I'd wager he would be attracting attention from more illustrious sides than the likes of Ayr and Morton. I do suspect he'll be away, but if he did stay then that isn't necessarily an unambitious decision, or one which will hinder his future prospects. 
I don't think staying with us is show of unambition but if he does go to say Morton
it's the championship if you play well then you really get noticed I agree a move to like of Airdrie makes no sense
let's see what happens

None of them have shown interest in paying his development fee. Although that could change if they get desperate. I reckon Airdrie is a step down really (despite recent history) and Falkirk is a gamble as they’re in a huge mess at the moment. Championship teams also won’t be guaranteed starting XI every week, although he is capable

11 minutes ago, nickCFC58 said:

None of them have shown interest in paying his development fee. Although that could change if they get desperate. I reckon Airdrie is a step down really (despite recent history) and Falkirk is a gamble as they’re in a huge mess at the moment. Championship teams also won’t be guaranteed starting XI every week, although he is capable

Given the fact he's only been with us a year and a half - despite not knowing exactly how such fees are calculated - I highly doubt the development fee due would be in any way prohibitive for any of those four clubs. We, ourselves, paid development fees for Ramsay and Cuddihy in the summer of 2017.

Given the fact he's only been with us a year and a half - despite not knowing exactly how such fees are calculated - I highly doubt the development fee due would be in any way prohibitive for any of those four clubs. We, ourselves, paid development fees for Ramsay and Cuddihy in the summer of 2017.

Dishdon said last night at Glasgow branch POTY that there didn’t seem to be interest from those clubs to pay it and that if they do we would be well compensated

Would love Lang to stay but cant see him turning down full time football at Ayr or Morton. Especially Ayr. They seem to be ahead of Morton in most respects just now. 

I'll be buzzing if he stays with us but imo it's unlikely. Would never grudge anyone for making a move up the way for the good of their career. Although, we will be SPL in 3 seasons so...