Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

18 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Reckon Tony Wallace could be the news later on..

Didn't play a lot of football in his early career, starting to peak now IMO. Had a good season with Annan. Tall, strong player. Good for knock-downs from goal-kicks and the likes.

Should add a physical dimension to our midfield - and it'll need that to compete effectively in League 1.

Nicoll's release was predictable. Would've been a rainy midweek on a grass pitch player; maybe a stand-in centre-half at times. Goes with the best. Been a servant.

Love's new deal is pleasing. Consistently does the business at this level. Experienced, talismanic player.

As for Ross Lyon. No clue there. File him under the Kipre heading, subtitled: signings by Danny that we tolerate, all things considered.

13 hours ago, David W said:

Love has hardly played a good game as a starter in 18 months. Edinburgh in the playoffs, Stranraer in the cup, Stirling when he scored twice....That's about it? He has a horrible head-down style that goes against a lot of what we do as a team, very little pace.  That said, he's done okay scoring goals as a substitute. I would have released but I'm not surprised he's been retained, and he probably deserves a life-long contract for scoring that penalty.

That's an extremely harsh analysis, that. Worth remembering about the games he's started in how good a team we put out - who was missing, who was played out of position etc. Also, where was he played versus what his best position is. He's never really been a lone or virtually lone forward before coming to Clyde, to my knowledge. Nor will he have played with only a single forward ahead of him that much.

His decisions in possession are excellent and I'd make nothing at all about his "head-down style"; to see you write that, you'd think he was as feckless in possession as Phil Johnston. Look at the pass he sprayed out to Banks in the play-off final with his eyes on the floor. Nobody, Goodie, Rankin and Grant included, does the right thing more often with the ball when the chips are down and we're looking to score a goal. He's exactly what Lennon's looking for: someone with huge experience at the relevant level, with an excellent record of assisting and scoring goals.

Worth remembering, for comparison, his brother Robert who played with Stenny; a player I really liked. I actually think Ally's more versatile because he's stronger and a little bigger. But both had a knack for finding space, being in the right place and picking a smart - sometimes blind - pass.

10 goals and 2 assists from 18 starts - and 14 sub' apps - is a perfectly good record, all things weighed. To have someone like him around as a sub' or otherwise is more than fine by me.

Edited by Sao Paulo

1 hour ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Don’t like the look of his Wikipedia but I had my doubts about Rumsby and he’s turned out a player. 

I wouldn’t base any sort of judgement on Wikipedia to be fair. Personally don’t think we should sign him but we’ll wait and see if it is him. 

“Squad news” suggests re-signing players from last season (to me, “signing news” would suggest new signings) but I may be reading too much into that.  

I feel it was a big mistake to let Coghill go.
if we sign Wallace I presume either McStay or Grant is away.

As with anyone who is leaving, we can’t assume they actually wanted to stay.
I don’t know one way or the other but Cogill for example is a young guy living away from home, playing (occasionally recently) part time at the arse end of Scottish football. He could probably double his income playing non league in England.

26 minutes ago, shawfieldman said:

I feel it was a big mistake to let Coghill go.

if we sign Wallace I presume either McStay or Grant is away.

Wallace is a wide player so I wouldn't make that presumption.

1 hour ago, WBR said:

“Squad news” suggests re-signing players from last season (to me, “signing news” would suggest new signings) but I may be reading too much into that.  

Or it could be players moving on...who knows. Fair play to Danny, reportedly 'doing the business' at 9.30 on a Saturday  night and at back at it again on a Sunday afternoon! He's some man for his years