Boris Johnson and Independence

Colkitto

Will Boris Johnson help or hinder the cause of Scottish independence?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Yep, I can see it having only a marginal effect. North Brits are so engrained in their gormless and empty nationalism now that they’ll watch the embodiment of Etonian privilege and English chauvinism run the country and still claim that it’s a better option than independence. Unionism is a form of Stockholm syndrome, not a coherent ideology that can be diminished by logic and reason.

But those tenths of a percent who switch sides could easily prove the difference in a second vote.

Is there something lacking in Scottish education?

11 hours ago, Comrie said:

Boris Johnson could dump tonnes of nuclear waste right outside Ibrox and the WATP would still vote no.

They already do this in the Clyde. One of the reasons why they have a lower life expectancy than anywhere else in the UK.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is an horrifically ignorant yet unsurprising post.

Indeed. They just dump it all down by the Clyde. Which is why most of you will die before you reach 50.

Edited by BawWatchin

25 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

They already do this in the Clyde. One of the reasons why they have a lower life expectancy than anywhere else in the UK.

There is also the 14 Nuclear subs that are sat at Rosyth awaiting decommissioning that have been sat there since the 80's total dismantled - nil

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thank you

Got to admit that was a good effort but its difficult to tell when someone is being serious when the OF are concerned especially in politics as hard to tell if they are serious or not.

12 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
43 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:
Got to admit that was a good effort but its difficult to tell when someone is being serious when the OF are concerned especially in politics as hard to tell if they are serious or not.

You don't post much on this sub forum, do you?

Not really 

I think an utterly out of touch, deeply right wing lunatic who considers Scotland a fiefdom of England and throws the whole of the UK into a shambolic No Deal Brexit despite the wishes of Scotland (and Northern Ireland) makes Scots more likely to vote for independence if there is another vote.

However, just because independence may be popular doesn't mean a vote is automatic. Look at Catalonia, for instance. His whole mantra, like much of his fellow idiots, since 2016 has been "we voted, we never have to vote again". I'd expect him to adopt the same position with regards Scottish independence.

He's the sort of imperialist lunatic who probably thinks India should still be ruled from London. I expect him to have no sympathy whatsoever with any move to have another Scottish Independence Referendum so I'd say he makes independence less likely.

In any case I've never been happy with the idea popular among some Scottish Nationalists, that you occasionally see on here, of "ha  the UK is gonna be fucked that's great cos everyone will want to be independent".

Firstly, there's no guarantee that a shite government in Westminster = Scottish independence. Were Cameron and Clegg really that popular from Lerwick to Lockerbie? 

Secondly, it's the sort of short-term crash and burn thinking popular among Brexiteers who insist that "short-term pain" is worth it for some vague promise that all will be honey and roses at some unspecified future date. 

50 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's hard to see any circumstances under which Westminster will allow IndyRef2.

We had our referendum and IMO we won't be getting another one for a number of years.

The battle should be to secure the power to call one rather than specifically asking for IndyRef2.

Scotland should definitely have that power not Westminster.

I agree, Scotland should indeed have that power, although I rather suspect that if it was granted, Indyref2 would be instigated a few minutes later! 

I'm not decided one way or the other about the Scottish Nationalist debate, but agree it should be up to the Scottish Parliament to decide, maybe with a rule of a maximum one every so many years. 

Cameron didn't have to wait until Poland, Germany, Luxembourg, France, Malta, Sweden and the gang all agreed before initiating the Brexit Referendum. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

If Westminster won't allow indyref 2 they're definitely not going to let the Scottish Government decide to have one on their own.

Edited by welshbairn

Whose arse did they pull the number seven out of?

You'd think one constitutional vote every parliamentary term would be reasonable for anyone not terrified about losing.

It's hard to see any circumstances under which Westminster will allow IndyRef2.
We had our referendum and IMO we won't be getting another one for a number of years.
The battle should be to secure the power to call one rather than specifically asking for IndyRef2.
Scotland should definitely have that power not Westminster.
This may be the 1st time I've ever agreed with you, sort of