Boris Johnson and Independence

Colkitto

Will Boris Johnson help or hinder the cause of Scottish independence?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe I'm giving the shit to much credit but he might very well become prime minister and that is not entirely down to luck
No it would be down to the Tory membership whose mostly elderly, white, right-wing males, in the absence of Sid James, Bobby Moore, Douglas Bader and Bruce Forsyth, would gleefully back him.

Hate to say it, but it won't change a damn thing.

The more damaging a PM is to Scotlands interests and culture. The more the yoon residents of Scotland rejoice. They'll cheer on every racial slur he has in store with us, as he strips away our devolved powers one by one.

1. Wrong https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Social-Welfare/IncomePoverty
Its strange you mention manipulating statistics about this.......
Child poverty definition to be changed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33346989

2. Also wrong. See just about every Scandinavian country regarding this.

He's right about having to get the middle classes on board for Indy to have any chance of getting over the line. It's this demographic that holds the key but to my eyes the SNP just don't seem to grasp this. You will never persuade the WATP / Rule Britania mob it's the so called middle classes that hold the key to any Hope's of Independence.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Hate to say it, but it won't change a damn thing.

The more damaging a PM is to Scotlands interests and culture. The more the yoon residents of Scotland rejoice. They'll cheer on every racial slur he has in store with us, as he strips away our devolved powers one by one.

I was just about to post exactly the same thing. 

If the last 5 years have proven anything, it's that there's no 'magic game changer' which will make people see the light in regards to independence. Unionists remain Unionists.

A disastrous Brexit, a ridiculous right-wing PM, a Westminster government that will cut the powers of the Scottish parliament. 

It means nothing to those who 'cannae stand thon Nicola Sturgeon'. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 hours ago, gannonball said:
1. Wrong https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Social-Welfare/IncomePoverty
Its strange you mention manipulating statistics about this.......
Child poverty definition to be changed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33346989

2. Also wrong. See just about every Scandinavian country regarding this.

He's right about having to get the middle classes on board for Indy to have any chance of getting over the line. It's this demographic that holds the key but to my eyes the SNP just don't seem to grasp this. You will never persuade the WATP / Rule Britania mob it's the so called middle classes that hold the key to any Hope's of Independence.

The divide in Scotland has nothing to do with classes. Plenty of "middle" class folk vote SNP and support Scottish Independence. Besides, the Scottish middle class isn't exactly a well off class if you look at the income structure across the country as a whole.

Edited by BawWatchin

No it would be down to the Tory membership whose mostly elderly, white, right-wing males, in the absence of Sid James, Bobby Moore, Douglas Bader and Bruce Forsyth, would gleefully back him.
And you could argue that he's played them all like a fiddle. I'm not defending the c**t in any way, all I'm saying is that he's far from the bumbling baffon that he likes to project. There's a method to his madness and a reason to the decisions that he makes which ultimately leads to 10 Downing Street

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Who mentioned greedy selfish c***s with zero empathy? Only you as far as I can tell.

All I said was about who comes first in my thoughts. Myself and my family.

Just like anyone else on here who isn't bullshitting.

Do I really need to spell out that after myself and my family are sorted THEN I look out for other people? :lol:

It's not your fault, it's just that your culture is more American than European. My culture is that of the Scottish Enlightenment which spread across Europe but never really found a strong foothold across the Atlantic. Maybe a bit in Canada.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You are wrong.

We are a materialistic culture based on what's best for the individual over what's best for society.

Do you wear a baseball cap back to front and wear an NRA t-shirt by any chance? Comes over as pure right wing 'merica to me.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My culture is that of the Scottish Enlightenment which spread across Europe but never really found a strong foothold across the Atlantic. Maybe a bit in Canada.

Have you never heard of the American War of Independence?

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We are a materialistic culture based on what's best for the individual over what's best for society.

You speak only for yourself.

Scotland hasn't voted right of centre in 64 years and counting.  That makes me immensely proud and I would imagine its unrivalled anywhere in the western world.  We really are a caring, egalitarian country. 

However, it also makes me sad to think what kind of country we could have built by now with that voting record combined with our staggering natural resources and booming tourist sector, if we weren't being ruled by London all this time.

Did anyone else think after the 2015 election when the SNP won 56 out of 59 seats that it was just a matter of time before Independence became a reality?

Seems like we've gone backwards since then, which is hard to understand given the present state of affairs at Westminster.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

You are wrong.

Ok then. I've only lived in America for 6 and a half years. Don't know f**k all about the place. 

30 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Did anyone else think after the 2015 election when the SNP won 56 out of 59 seats that it was just a matter of time before Independence became a reality?

Seems like we've gone backwards since then, which is hard to understand given the present state of affairs at Westminster.

Many people who wouldn't normally vote SNP jumped on the "we'll lend our vote to give Scotland a voice" bandwagon.

When it became abundantly clear to them that Westminster completely ignores and disregards our democratically elected representatives, they went back to their old voting habits rather than seeing the problem for what it was and backing the cause for independence.

It was then that I realized. Scotland will never gain independence cleanly. We have a right dirty fight on our hands here.

We're well overdue an Oaksoft meltdown. Seems to be working towards it now with the recent increase in quantity and re-use of bait.

Not quite popcorn time yet, but keep the kernels to hand  :)

9 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Many people who wouldn't normally vote SNP jumped on the "we'll lend our vote to give Scotland a voice" bandwagon.

When it became abundantly clear to them that Westminster completely ignores and disregards our democratically elected representatives, they went back to their old voting habits rather than seeing the problem for what it was and backing the cause for independence.

It was then that I realized. Scotland will never gain independence cleanly. We have a right dirty fight on our hands here.

Absolutely, we are far too valuable to let go.

However, as for voters etc, I think its simply a case of the relentless propaganda campaign conducted right across the whole MSM against the SNP and independence that is to blame.  Its the drip drip effect, and it was always intended to be so, it goes on every day and will keep going on every day until we win or its over.

Take my mum for an example, not politically engaged, just your average person watches the news and is conditioned by the MSM.  Ask her what she thinks of politics she hates the SNP, ask her why she goes erm mumble mumble Jimmy Crankie.  She can give not one valid reason, policy or coherent thought to support her views, but has been conditioned daily for years to hate the SNP and whoever leads them.  That's what we're up against.