Boris Johnson and Independence

Colkitto

Will Boris Johnson help or hinder the cause of Scottish independence?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Interesting manifesto from Oaksoft there. Pretend poverty doesn't really exist, ignore tax dodging and give rich people tax cuts.

Can see the Yes campaign adopting this and quite comfortably winning the next referendum.

"I'm alright Jock." It's got a ring to it.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Exactly, he hasn't a principle in his soul. He's a self promoting opportunist. Whatever suits him is policy.

Agree with all of that.  However if he’s elected by the Tory faithful on a Brexit ticket and fails to deliver he has no place to hide.  

The next Tory leader/PM is fucked.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree with all of that.  However if he’s elected by the Tory faithful on a Brexit ticket and fails to deliver he has no place to hide.  

Found out today that he/she has to prove they have the confidence of the house before taking the PM job. Could be the shortest gig ever.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I doubt he even thinks in terms of achieving Brexit or not. He'll see the PM as a stepping stone to something else. Directorships, book deals, The Lords...

I'm sorry but 1 in 4 children do NOT live in anything which resembles true poverty in this country.  I have no doubt that some do live in difficult circumstances but there is nowhere near 1 in 4 in poverty and we're not doing ourselves any favours manipulating statistics to pretend that it is.
If we want high levels of employment in the country, we're probably going to have to accept that large corporations won't be paying their fair share of tax. I don't know how you can resolve this. I suspect it can't be. Rich corporations and rich people have more power than people at the bottom because they are prepared to be geographically mobile. If anyone can provide a way of preventing this I'd be glad to hear it. You can't threaten rich people with 50 or 60% tax rates and expect them to stick around when they have other choices. It's the same with Corporation Tax.
The way to win independence I'm afraid is to stop talking exclusively about helping those at the bottom and show the middle earners why it is in their interests to vote Yes. Very few people are going to vote to hand over more of their pay packet to people at the bottom. That is the cold, hard truth IMO.
You don't speak for me mate, let me assure you of that, and I suspect that you write as someone who has never had to worry over a gas bill or fret about your child's leaking shoes.
Bizarre as it may seem to yourself, the measure of a nation' strength is not GDP but how it looks after its weak.

The exponential rise in Director's and top management's salaries while ordinary wages have been frozen and falling behind inflation hasn't helped. And the corporate greed of predatory hedge funds like the charming souls who bankrupted British Steel while charging astronomical "management fees". 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Also big fan of oaksoft deciding his instinctual assumptions are more valid than reams of data.

A recurring theme. Any form of evidence which doesn't confirm his prejudices is dismissed as a "misuse of statistics".

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It is an interesting  question.

Finding my lovely friendly neighbours around me just now are huge fans of Boris - not only do they see him as someone who will reunite the Tory Party and the country, but also deliver the Brexit they all voted for, and of course knew what they were voting for.

I see Boris as someone who could become an even more despised person in Scotland, that Thatcher was, and that would be quite an achievement! I honestly believe his appointment would help Scotland become an independent, European country.

There was another comment as well when England was facing a shortage of water his remarks were along the lines its no problem we will just take it from Scotland

Boris is your typical bumbling buffoon or class clown but for some reason that's what the Tory party wants.  The thing that makes this even funnier is i honestly believe whoever takes over is going to end up with the same fate as the last 2.

If it comes to a general election i think Corbyn is just as dangerous as Boris

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I put myself and my family before everyone else.

Just like every single person on here who has responsibilities on their shoulders.

Anyone claiming otherwise is eithee living with their parents with no resonsibilities, is a lying b*****d (most likely)or is one of those at the bottom of the pile.

Not everyone who's comfortably off is a greedy selfish c**t with zero empathy for those struggling, Oaksoft. Not saying that you're remotely like that of course.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

What absolute shitstorm?

The overwhelming majority of Scots live perfectly comfortable lives.

Not usually my place to agree with anyone on the politics threads but no one can object to that statement.

Back on topic...where's the 'Nationalism is shite and we should be erecting bridges not walls' option?

There was another comment as well when England was facing a shortage of water his remarks were along the lines its no problem we will just take it from Scotland

Boris is your typical bumbling buffoon or class clown but for some reason that's what the Tory party wants.  The thing that makes this even funnier is i honestly believe whoever takes over is going to end up with the same fate as the last 2.

If it comes to a general election i think Corbyn is just as dangerous as Boris
As much as I would like to agree with you I actually think Boris is a very sharp/intelligent operator. You don't get to where he is by being an idiot. I would actually prefer it if he were an idiot as he would be far less dangerous if he was.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I put myself and my family before everyone else.

Just like every single person on here who has responsibilities on their shoulders.

Anyone claiming otherwise is eithee living with their parents with no resonsibilities, is a lying b*****d (most likely)or is one of those at the bottom of the pile.

Judging by the thread describing your family shitting on top of each other’s shits, I’d advise you to change tactics.