Boris Johnson and Independence

Colkitto

Will Boris Johnson help or hinder the cause of Scottish independence?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was speaking to a tory at work today, he was full of sympathy for May, saying she had an impossible job. I was quite surprised when he said he wasn't a fan of Boris as he is a caricature of a Tory.
He lamented that we were in a mess and he couldn't see any way out of it. My suggestion to stop voting Tory or to back Scottish independence didn't go down well.

I just can't believe the numbers of cretins calling LBC Radio claiming that not only will Boris reunite the Conservative Party he will reunite Britain and lead us out of Europe - a bit like Moses leading us out of the wilderness.

The Conservative Party is finished - truly fucked. It will need to divide itself into 2 separate parties. If the Labour Party had the gumption to replace Corbyn it would clean up in a G.E on a ticket of keeping the UK inside the EU.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So that will be a failure and Johnson will not be able to blame anyone else.

What is astounding is that Johnson and other leadership contenders think that they will get concessions from the EU that May didn’t get.  Totally delusional.

I agree - he is totally delusional, but he and his ERG mates won't see coming out without a deal as a failure. They will see it as delivering what Britain voted for.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I agree - he is totally delusional, but he and his ERG mates won't see coming out without a deal as a failure. They will see it as delivering what Britain voted for.

The failure will be the economic clusterfuck that will ensue.

As long as we have oil coming out of the ground and the revenues  to finance South East england projects, (tory stronghold),  the likes of Coco will strongly oppose another referendum.

Never ever under estimate what those revenues mean to the english treasury plus the power it gives them as other than Norway we are the only established oil producing western european  country.

Plus that 45% pro independence vote was a shock for them, also consider that percentage would greatly increase and probably tip the balance in favour of independence on a second referendum due to Boris and his cohorts hurtling towards a no deal Brexit.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Absolutely.

But surely this is not a time to consider who the next leader will be, and what they will or won't achieve. This is a time just to pause for a few minutes and reflect on the passing of Theresa May - on how she lead our country through so much adversity with distinction, with bravery, with honour, with integrity. No one could have done more to......blah, blah, blah. Cont/ Page 94.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Given the entire ideology of the Tories and the clear and deliberate bigotry and general scumbaggery they have shown, it should be pretty clear that they are capable of anything. Especially a snake like Johnson.

He'd happily send the lives of millions down the river.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

1.I'm sorry but 1 in 4 children do NOT live in anything which resembles true poverty in this country.  I have no doubt that some do live in difficult circumstances but there is nowhere near 1 in 4 in poverty and we're not doing ourselves any favours manipulating statistics to pretend that it is.

2.If we want high levels of employment in the country, we're probably going to have to accept that large corporations won't be paying their fair share of tax. I don't know how you can resolve this. I suspect it can't be. Rich corporations and rich people have more power than people at the bottom because they are prepared to be geographically mobile. If anyone can provide a way of preventing this I'd be glad to hear it. You can't threaten rich people with 50 or 60% tax rates and expect them to stick around when they have other choices. It's the same with Corporation Tax.

The way to win independence I'm afraid is to stop talking exclusively about helping those at the bottom and show the middle earners why it is in their interests to vote Yes. Very few people are going to vote to hand over more of their pay packet to people at the bottom. That is the cold, hard truth IMO.

1. Wrong https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Social-Welfare/IncomePoverty

Its strange you mention manipulating statistics about this.......

Child poverty definition to be changed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33346989

2. Also wrong. See just about every Scandinavian country regarding this.

Edited by gannonball

39 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Given the entire ideology of the Tories and the clear and deliberate bigotry and general scumbaggery they have shown, it should be pretty clear that they are capable of anything. Especially a snake like Johnson.

He'd happily send the lives of millions down the river.

Maybe so, but millions of Tory voters would suffer from a No Deal Brexit.  That’s a reality.

Boris is a shameless chancer who doesn’t appear to hold any real convictions particularly on Europe. I imagine he would take the easy road out whatever that may be.

Also big fan of oaksoft deciding his instinctual assumptions are more valid than reams of data.

It won't make any difference as we won't be allowed to have indyref2. They let us have it last time because they were sure they would win.  The more it looks likely a yes vote will win the more hardened position the Tory party will take.

It's not happening lads.

The UK was a laughing stock throughout the talks to leave Europe and now people are talking of Bobo as PM. Whoever gets the job follows a complete incompetent who bleated about compromise yet marginalised a devolved government where 60% of the population voted to Remain. There will be no change of tack, the marginalisation of Scotland will continue. The question of an independence referendum won't even be on the PMs radar - they'll say no to a request and move on. It's time for Scotland to move on as well - out of this fractured UK.

Edited by The Skelpit Lug
Spelling

Interesting manifesto from Oaksoft there. Pretend poverty doesn't really exist, ignore tax dodging and give rich people tax cuts.

Can see the Yes campaign adopting this and quite comfortably winning the next referendum.

If the Yes movement cant make absolutely sure Bojo makes a difference to their numbers, given the volume of raw material alreasy available, and doubtless still to come, then frankly they dont deserve it.

The country being run by this roaster, unelected by anyone except the Tory membership who will make it plain that he represents their wishes , is a gift from heaven for Yes.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Boris is quite good at playing both sides of the fence. He's playing the hardcore Brexiteer at the moment to get the leadership, but remember he won 2 mayoral elections in solidly Labour London.

Exactly, he hasn't a principle in his soul. He's a self promoting opportunist. Whatever suits him is policy.