Boris Johnson and Independence

Colkitto

Will Boris Johnson help or hinder the cause of Scottish independence?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think he'll help it - he will go full on, no-deal brexit, ultra right-wing policies etc because that is what his party will want and he will do whatever he thinks will help his career out the most. 

If we manage to get to a referendum whilst that bumbling arsehole is the Prime Minister, the SNP and those leading the "Yes" side should just play his "a pound spent in Croydon is of much greater value than a pound spent in Strathclyde" speech ad infinitum. Independence guaranteed. 

It is an interesting  question.

Finding my lovely friendly neighbours around me just now are huge fans of Boris - not only do they see him as someone who will reunite the Tory Party and the country, but also deliver the Brexit they all voted for, and of course knew what they were voting for.

I see Boris as someone who could become an even more despised person in Scotland, that Thatcher was, and that would be quite an achievement! I honestly believe his appointment would help Scotland become an independent, European country.

Boris is quite good at playing both sides of the fence. He's playing the hardcore Brexiteer at the moment to get the leadership, but remember he won 2 mayoral elections in solidly Labour London.

Will he make that much of a difference? I hope so, but there's an awfae lot of Scots who still don't even back independence considering the absolute shitstorm we are in.

Sadly there's a lot of folk who still believe the too poor pish, or simply don't have the belief that we can do it on our own. 

5 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Will he make that much of a difference? I hope so, but there's an awfae lot of Scots who still don't even back independence considering the absolute shitstorm we are in.

Sadly there's a lot of folk who still believe the too poor pish, or simply don't have the belief that we can do it on our own. 

I would like to think that is now beginning to change for the better.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think he'll change the arithmetic, there are plenty arseholes up here too.

Totally agree, our country is full of those who hate "her" (meaning Nicola Sturgeon) but when asked, they can't tell you why or even any of the SNP's policies etc. (I know, because I just tested this theory out).

Furthermore they don't even know who Steve Baker is and have "never heard of him" but what they do know is that they'd NEVER vote for the SNP or independence.

Let's see if they change their tune if we end up with Baker and his "Austrian Economics".....................

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Boris is quite good at playing both sides of the fence. He's playing the hardcore Brexiteer at the moment to get the leadership, but remember he won 2 mayoral elections in solidly Labour London.

Yes, I can see him now meeting up with the Juncker and Tusk and laying Britain's case for withdrawing from the EU on the line.

Just as he did in Iran with Zaghari-Ratcliffe, when he succeeded in getting her prison sentence increased.  

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yes, I can see him now meeting up with the Juncker and Tusk and laying Britain's case for withdrawing from the EU on the line.

Just as he did in Iran with Zaghari-Ratcliffe, when he succeeded in getting her prison sentence increased.  

I wasn't talking about Europe, nothing changes. And I hate the c**t more than any other politician. But he's not going to create a big swing towards independence, politically he knows how to play the game. His downfall is his arrogance, he thinks he can blag his way through actual Government without reading the stuff in his red boxes, as was shown during his spell as Foreign Minister.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Totally agree, our country is full of those who hate "her" (meaning Nicola Sturgeon) but when asked, they can't tell you why or even any of the SNP's policies etc. (I know, because I just tested this theory out).

Furthermore they don't even know who Steve Baker is and have "never heard of him" but what they do know is that they'd NEVER vote for the SNP or independence.

Let's see if they change their tune if we end up with Baker and his "Austrian Economics".....................

In some ways that is why I can see Boris potentially helping independence up here. Its now based on personality and media identity, many won't like Sturgeon "just because".

The thing with Boris is that he is most likely to be the person who comes out with some ridiculous line that triggers peoples dislike of him. He doesn't think before he speaks and says some spectacularly awful things at times. Its a fine line though and there are still people fooled by his "lovable idiot" persona. It could go either way.

Might almost worth seeing him become leader just to see him panic at PMQs. Get all the opposition MP's to ask him technical questions about Government policy and see him trying to blag his way through. Whatever you think about May she was incredibly well prepared.

To be honest I suspect many on here, long since converted to independence, are waiting for some mass abandonment of the union from No voters which is never going to happen.

What does happen, though, is bit by bit people decide they’ve had enough. Boris Johnson would be another nail in the coffin, I’ve little doubt about that.

His ego would also almost definitely refuse a referendum request, which is where things start to get interesting...