End of season Unfulfilled Fixtures

pleslie99

What's everyone's opinions on teams that dont fulfill fixtures and what the punishment should be? We have been in a league battle with a team who had 2 games to play and if they dropped points in both those games (against 3rd and 5th in the league) we would be champions. Both those teams have failed to fulfill those fixtures claiming they cant field a team. Handing the title to our rivals. The same team have picked up 21 points this season because of teams not fulfilling fixtures. I think its poor not playing games, especially when it can decide titles etc. Clearly there isnt a deterrent against it.

3 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

What's everyone's opinions on teams that dont fulfill fixtures and what the punishment should be? We have been in a league battle with a team who had 2 games to play and if they dropped points in both those games (against 3rd and 5th in the league) we would be champions. Both those teams have failed to fulfill those fixtures claiming they cant field a team. Handing the title to our rivals. The same team have picked up 21 points this season because of teams not fulfilling fixtures. I think its poor not playing games, especially when it can decide titles etc. Clearly there isnt a deterrent against it.

Couldn't agree more! It's something that needs looked at. We have won a league this season through teams being unable to to field 11 bodies and also a team being kicked out the league. However, we have been on the wrong end of those unfulfilled fixtures a few years back. It's not right and it's something that needs looked at. I dont know what the solution could be but theres certainly a bit of unfairness in the current way.

Couldn't agree more! It's something that needs looked at. We have won a league this season through teams being unable to to field 11 bodies and also a team being kicked out the league. However, we have been on the wrong end of those unfulfilled fixtures a few years back. It's not right and it's something that needs looked at. I dont know what the solution could be but theres certainly a bit of unfairness in the current way.
I know some leagues do things in different ways. Our league hands over 3 points but no "win" so you dont benefit goals wise, there was a point this season where both teams could've finished on the same number of points, but we wouldve won the league on goal difference due to us playing teams and beating them but our opponents handed 3 points but no goals. The teams that won the league deserved it as they beat us in a crunch match last weekend but it leaves sour taste in the mouth and questions the integrity of the league. I know we dont want teams folding etc so it's a hard one but teams shouldn't be getting off Scot free.

Happened to us in a different way, had to travel to Rothesay with a depleted team but would never not fulfil a fixture following week Rothesway gave another team a walkover win in a cup game to save themselves travelling.

It's a hard one.

The genuine cases. Teams struggling and on the brink . Hit them too hard and the association may play a part in putting them out the game

The examples given above tho ( in an ideal world ) should be hammered time and time again as that isnt teams struggling that's just teams picking and choosing where to do it. Hit them any harder than the other cases and they will just appeal and likely win it.

For example hurlford afc have been struggling for months and u could see a non fulfillment was coming and tbh well played to Marc and co that it didnt happen sooner and more often.

Shortlees tho, in my opinion, should be hammered. Not a chance a team like shortlees couldnt get enough trialists to play last week. As far as I'm aware that's twice in their history they havent played a fixture and both times is been the game after they cant win the league. Yet they manage to scrape enough players together to win a cup ( no trialists allowed ) 3 days later ( midweek). Stinks to be honest

Oban Saints have 4 fixtures left to play in the SAFL. With the league over now as St Joe's have won chances are very few of these games will be played and it won't be for Saints lack of trying to get the games on. 

Due to cup runs 3 of the last 4 league fixtures are at home in Oban.  Inverclyde already couldn't make it to Oban, North Glasgow Colts I think have folded and the last  home fixtures are against Goldenhill and Alba. There is a good chance out of 9 home games this year Saints will only haved played 5 and picked up points for unfulfilled fixtures in the other four. I believe the league fine is cheaper for an unfulfilled fixture than hiring a bus to Oban.

I may be wrong but I don't recall the last time Saints didn't try and play an away game at the end of the season with the league champions decided. I think at least two teams never bothered coming up to Oban last year at the end and were fined.  If I was in charge of fixtures for the following year I'd be sending those teams up to Oban early in the season. Irrelevant now in terms of the SAFL as Oban are leaving.

Personally I believe that far more league games should be played during the first few months off the season. Leave the local cups too as late as possible. This would ensure far more teams would still be in competitive action at the back end off the season 

1 hour ago, josecc said:

Oban saints probably shouldn't be in a Glasgow league but that is another arguement itself.

Not sure what the alternative would be - an Argyll league?

Helps having your own mini bus but great commitment over the years to go to all the away fixtures and not just let some of them go unfulfilled when there was nothing to play for in the league. 

They haven't had a home league fixture since they played St Joe's in November. 

One of the youth teams a couple of years ago even played all their fixtures away to get into a better league. That's how much up here they want to play in a good standard of league.

Not sure what the alternative would be - an Argyll league?
Helps having your own mini bus but great commitment over the years to go to all the away fixtures and not just let some of them go unfulfilled when there was nothing to play for in the league. 
They haven't had a home league fixture since they played St Joe's in November. 
One of the youth teams a couple of years ago even played all their fixtures away to get into a better league. That's how much up here they want to play in a good standard of league.

I don't know the alternative. I do understand the commitment it takes from them and fair play to them. Not only at amateur level but also their youth teams.
I'm not trying to slag Oban off or do them an injustice. Im just not sure it's fair to ask teams from the Glasgow area to travel up there to play a league game some 100 miles away. Only my opinion though

Personally I believe that far more league games should be played during the first few months off the season. Leave the local cups too as late as possible. This would ensure far more teams would still be in competitive action at the back end off the season 
That's a good shout btw. Gives team with no real league ambitions something to play for aswell. Might actually help out everyone

2 hours ago, josecc said:

I don't know the alternative. I do understand the commitment it takes from them and fair play to them. Not only at amateur level but also their youth teams.
I'm not trying to slag Oban off or do them an injustice. Im just not sure it's fair to ask teams from the Glasgow area to travel up there to play a league game some 100 miles away. Only my opinion though

Fair comment. 

I realise bus hire is expensive and it's a whole day away not just the 2-3 hours for a local game. Hard with family and work commitments. However at least  it's only one away fixture up to Oban for each team in the league. And it's probably a good day away for some beer.

I'd agree to this. Put back a couple of cup competitions or even bin 1 or 2 altogether. Make the league paramount the first couple of months of the season and it keeps it it interesting come feb/March. Cup comps start Jan to may would work for teams. Even those who could get knocked out early doors

4 hours ago, CFCbhoy said:

This is a very sensible post. 100% agree.

On 24/05/2019 at 17:28, CFCbhoy said:

Only issue with that, you could be out of the league running before cups start, so keeping boys interested till cup time might be too much

If u put a team into a league then u should fulfill all fixtures. Not doing so is making a mockery of the competition. If fines force teams out of the game then they should think of that, guys shouldn't be able to pick and choose when they play