Thatcher - A Very British Revolution

scottsdad

Saw episode 1 on BBC 2.  A 5 part documentary on her - a must watch. Brilliantly done.

The interviewees are people who worked with her, for her and against her. Heseltine still seethes at her.

Episode 1 (on iPlayer) covered the 1970s, from the "Milk Snatcher" days, to her winning the leadership, and winning the 1979 election. Trust me this is worth watching.

Might not like her, or her politics, but this is well worth watching.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Saw episode 1 on BBC 2.  A 5 part documentary on her - a must watch. Brilliantly done.

The interviewees are people who worked with her, for her and against her. Heseltine still seethes at her.

Episode 1 (on iPlayer) covered the 1970s, from the "Milk Snatcher" days, to her winning the leadership, and winning the 1979 election. Trust me this is worth watching.

Might not like her, or her politics, but this is well worth watching.

Agree it was very good. Heseltine is such a snob.

11 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
She was a c**t of the highest order. I hope she is being permanently spit roasted in hell by Stalin and Michael Foot.

No, she was exactly the right person to lead this country at exactly that point in time. Easily one of the greatest leaders of all time.

I bet you were shouting that from the rooftops in Cowdenbeath at the time.

On 24/05/2019 at 08:00, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 23/05/2019 at 22:41, Arch Stanton said:
She was a c**t of the highest order. I hope she is being permanently spit roasted in hell by Stalin and Michael Foot.

No, she was exactly the right person to lead this country at exactly that point in time. Easily one of the greatest leaders of all time.

Aye, she done a lot for your area and the coal mines and shipyards in Fife right enough eh?

I personally hope she is being sodomised by a horse whilst on fire down in hell from now till eternity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just passed the 1987 election and the rot is creeping in. Michael Dobbs was excellent in this episode ("she wouldn't have acted this way five years previously..."). And Tebbit - I always thought that he was her number 2 right until the bitter end, but nope. She was starting to see enemies everywhere.

The "enemies" episode was compelling, too. Kinnock once again right on the money about miners.

have just watched 1 and 2 and her voice annoyed the good lady so I put it on subtitles. It is quite instructive to look back at it having experienced it in my 30s. It does show how the post war Butskillism and consensus  politics was wiped out by her branch of free market ideologies. The one bit that kind of took me aback was her demanding to know the names of the people in the streets ( To the Aussie TV guy) who thought she was pig headed! Norman Tebbit still looks like the Spitting image icon. I have both of her "autobiographies" in the house and might revisit them when I see the rest. It is well produced but a minority viewing audience.

Edited by Chapelhall chap