Gazzetta Football Italia

2 hours ago, Waspy said:

Didn't channel 5 try to bring back something similar? It had the stout American/Italian journalist as the host, maybe that's why it flopped.

It went to C5 in 2002, but wasn't the same.

11 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just treated myself to one of these https://hallyink.com/collections/serie-a/products/channel-4-tee  purely because of @DA Baracus avatar. 

Ooft! They are nice! Seriously considering one as well.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ooft! They are nice! Seriously considering one as well.

Bought a couple of his prints which are top quality. 

Here is a link for "Golazzo: The Football Italia Story" that BT Sport did for those who haven't seen it. 

42 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

One of my favourite games of all time was Milan beating Foggia 8-2. That second half was absolutely mesmerising.

The first game I ever properly watched (on TV) was 1994/95, watching Juventus come back from 2-0 down to beat Fiorentina 3-2. My unrequited man-love for Alessandro Del Piero began on that day.

Edited by nsr

I remember the first game as 3-3 draw between Sampdoria and Lazio (Parma?).  Couldn't believe I was watching Italian football on the telly!

I think the documentary said that Richardson was a producer type guy that wasn't that interested in football when the coverage started but ended up fronting it. He was undoubtedly a big part of it's success.

What's the story with Totti and Cafu etc having riot hats on? 

3 hours ago, Waspy said:

Didn't channel 5 try to bring back something similar? It had the stout American/Italian journalist as the host, maybe that's why it flopped.

Gab Marcotti? 

Quite like him on his own, it's a waste of time when Steve Nicol or Craig Burley are about. Playground behaviour ensues. 

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The strips were absolute class!

PA-2795.thumb.jpg.52177d292a8290ceed85c932c6832132.jpg

Racist found!

Agreed on the kits though, the Parma one was superb, I remember our class at school being allowed to listen to their game against Rangers when they had an afternoon kickoff, crazy to think neither team exists anymore. 

My brother became a Milan fan so I considered following Inter but instead went for Roma, because I just liked the colour of their jerseys, a legitimate reason for a 7 year old. The Saturday morning highlights were a great way to see some world class football, before heading up the road a few hours later to watch the Pars draw with Airdrie or some other diddy team. After watching James Richardson go through the Italian newspapers every week, I'd occasionally buy a copy of Gazzetta dello Sport from a newsagents in Edinburgh, couldn't read Italian but the pictures were good. I've been to one Milan game I believe against Atalanta I think, San Siro was a bit of a dive and to the Italian Cup Final Roma v Inter, half watched the game, the rest of the time I watched the game of flare tennis between the Roma and Inter fans. Shame that Juve have ruined the Serie A a bit for me

14 minutes ago, Torpar said:

After watching James Richardson go through the Italian newspapers every week, I'd occasionally buy a copy of Gazzetta dello Sport from a newsagents in Edinburgh, couldn't read Italian but the pictures were good.

Anytime I am over to watch Lazio, will always grab a copy. It is a brilliant paper. 

On 23/05/2019 at 14:41, 7-2 said:

I remember the first game as 3-3 draw between Sampdoria and Lazio (Parma?).  Couldn't believe I was watching Italian football on the telly!

I think the documentary said that Richardson was a producer type guy that wasn't that interested in football when the coverage started but ended up fronting it. He was undoubtedly a big part of it's success.

It was Sampdoria-Lazio. Beppe Signori was fantastic that day.

However the Sampdoria v Milan game in November 1993 was the gold standard. Milan go 2-0 up (Brian Laudrup got the second) and eventually lose 3-2 to a winning goal from Ruud Gullit. One of the games of the decade. That Sampdoria team with Vialli, Mancini, Lombardo, Gullit, Jugovic and others was a treat to watch. Milan had Savicevic, Boban, Massaro, Maldini, Baresi and about a dozen other household names.

The halcyon days before payTV came in and ruined everything.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 hours ago, Dele said:

What's the story with Totti and Cafu etc having riot hats on? 

I seem to recall it was a road safety thing? Could be hugely wrong.

It was all so exotic, bizarre colours like all purple, the famous Samp hoops or red and grey for cremonese, ultras with flares singing well known tunes, teams on an island even. Loved how the tv graphics for live games was the same as Italia 90 for the first few years too.  

19 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

https://audioboom.com/channel/golazzo--the-totally-italian-football-sho

Might be of interest. Jimbo, James Horncastle and Gab Marcotti explore historic Serie A teams and players and also talk about the current season. The deep dives into the history of Serie A are fascinating.

I didn't know they did an Italian show. Brilliant.

5 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

It was all so exotic, bizarre colours like all purple, the famous Samp hoops or red and grey for cremonese, ultras with flares singing well known tunes, teams on an island even. Loved how the tv graphics for live games was the same as Italia 90 for the first few years too.  

Totally agree with the above. The "Italia 90" graphics were as cool as f**k the first few years. I sort of followed Fiorentina as they had cool as f**k strips (the Nintendo sponsored one was glorious). C4 got it a bit tight when news first broke they were showing the low-scoring Serie A live. However the recent rule changes in terms of passbacks changed things considerably and most weeks featured a goalfest of some sort. 

Too many memories to list, but here's a few:

Beppe Signori - Scored a double in the opening 3-3 draw between Samp and Lazio and had an absolutely ridiculous penalty record, with that two-step run up. A brilliant wee player. 

Milan & Marco van Basten - That first season he was ridiculous as Milan, particularly pre-xmas destroyed almost everyone they played. I think Milan had a spell where they stuffed Lazio 5-3 at home in the live game, stuck 5 past Napoli and Pescara away and beat Fiorentina 7-3 away. Van Basten scored something like 4 or 5 consecutive doubles. I think he also scored all 4 in a Champions League home win against Gothenburg. I'm sure he'd ended the previous season by scoring 5 in the 8-2 last day win at Foggia. Milan were more cautious post-xmas break but still won the title. One game that sticks out was away to Roma. Franco Baresi was sent off in the 4th minute for a professional foul, Milan scored and turned in an absolute defensive masterclass. 

Daniel Fonseca - Uruguay's tradition of deadly strikers with horrendous teeth didn't start with Luis Suarez. Daniel Fonseca was an early 90s goal machine for Napoli, with Alvaro Recoba later starring for Inter. Recoba's free kicks in particular were incredible. Juninho (the Lyon version) is the only player I can recall who could get more action on a dead ball. 

The Stranieri Rule - This was the "three foreigners" rule, where a team could only field a max of three at any one point in a game. This was most noteworthy at Milan, who quite often had to bench Frank Rijkaard and later Jean-Pierre Papin. 

Roberto Mancini's Mental Breakdown - Mancini was still playing for Sampdoria when he had a total headsgone in a game. Having been booked for a ridiculous challenge he unleashed a torrent of abuse at the ref who promptly sent him off. His nearby team-mates were visibly furious and gave him dogs abuse as he headed up the tunnel. Mancini had fallen out with the club and his attitude had been repeatedly questioned. I'm pretty sure he was punted after that. 

I googled George Weah the other day to see what he was up to and he's president of Liberia and plays for a local over 50s side [emoji2]

Would like to see maldini interviewed. The players hes played alongside is just incredible.

Platini van basten Maradona both Ronaldo's baresi zidane

Best defender of all time?