Gazzetta Football Italia

Beppe Signori, George Weah, Roberto Baggio, Gabriel Batistuta. 

Superb days. What was the format for the weekend again? Highlights on the Saturday morning then a live game on the Sunday? 

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Beppe Signori, George Weah, Roberto Baggio, Gabriel Batistuta. 

Superb days. What was the format for the weekend again? Highlights on the Saturday morning then a live game on the Sunday? 

Yup. After 1990 the whole of the World Cup seemed to rock up in serie A. Tomas Skuhravy at Genoa. Pure Mad Czechoslavak mullets man.

Edited by jagfox99

Now that's an expression I haven't heard for years. For some reason bar lunch always makes me think of scampi and chips. The memory and brain can play strange games at times.

Fish and chips or steak pie and chips. Bit of salad as a nod of the head to healthy eating. Basket suppers after the game of you were staying out.

By Bar Lunch I just mean sitting at a table in the Bar rather than the Lounge with the grannies.

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I had an Inter Milan top for 5s. The number of Fiorentina tops going about was incredible. Batistuta was a hero.

Got married in Sep 1997 and on the weekend took my new wife to the Fiorentina v Bari game. Batistuta was a superb centre forward and scorec two goals -one very early.

Been back once since.

Good days

2-0 Hellas - 20 minutes to go - Citta down to ten men; stays like this, Hellas are up (higher placed team in the regular season win in the event of scores being level on aggregate)...

ETA - 77 mins - heads gone for Cittadella - down to nine men....

ETA - 82 mins - 3-0 Hellas - this'll be the f**k up to end all f**k ups if they throw this away now....

bollocks - just realised this is all in the wrong thread :lol:

still - job done - Derby del Lago di Garda in Serie A next season (Hellas v Brescia)

Edited by Herman Hessian

28 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

2-0 Hellas - 20 minutes to go - Citta down to ten men; stays like this, Hellas are up (higher placed team in the regular season win in the event of scores being level on aggregate)...

ETA - 77 mins - heads gone for Cittadella - down to nine men....

ETA - 82 mins - 3-0 Hellas - this'll be the f**k up to end all f**k ups if they throw this away now....

Hellas are up!

I remember the first game as 3-3 draw between Sampdoria and Lazio (Parma?).  Couldn't believe I was watching Italian football on the telly!
I think the documentary said that Richardson was a producer type guy that wasn't that interested in football when the coverage started but ended up fronting it. He was undoubtedly a big part of it's success.
I remember this. Giuseppe Signori starred in that game and was top scorer for the season IIRC.

I remembering developing an odd fixation with AS Bari after I was randomly assigned to manage them in a game that I played through the post (the days before Champ Manager was a thing, or at least a thing I knew about). I almost wept with joy when Igor Protti bizarrely finished the season joint top-scorer in Serie A even though Bari were relegated (or narrowly escaped, I forget which).

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, calcioinretro said:

Great thread! Through lockdown I have been uploading my VHS collection of old Football Italia games to this youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/rosshoward

I found some old Gazzetta Football Italias that I'll upload soon too...

Yaaaaasss! Top stuff.

On 02/06/2019 at 10:12, Scary Bear said:

I had an Inter Milan top for 5s. The number of Fiorentina tops going about was incredible. Batistuta was a hero.

I went to see Fiorentina v Milan last year in May. Was on the last train away from the stadium and all the Viola fans sang about despite being beaten 1-0 was Batígol. What a tremendous player, the display he put on at Wembley against Arsenal in the CL is one of my favourite ever displays of one man absolutely ripping the piss out of one team single-handedly. 

Too young to have any real, standout memories of the show but at the same time, everything about it makes me so nostalgic. I haven't really watched much of Serie A since it left BT sadly. I really wish they would get it back. James Richardson is easily the best football presenter around, but him covering Bundesliga (2 of my loves together) just isn't the same. 

A bit of a tangent, but I really loved BT's Sunday night European Football Show. Used to come on about 6pm and run right up until 7.30 where they would move on to the live coverage of 'the match' which 9 times out of 10 was the Serie A headline game of the weekend, although very occasionally they showed the French headline game.

The hour and a half before the big game, was all the goals from France, Italy and Germany's weekend action so far, as well as plenty of chat in between about the goings on in each nations game. What made it so good I think was the fact that they had someone for each league to report the latest news, James Horncastle for Serie A, Julien Laurens for Ligue 1 and Raphael Honigstein for Germany. They often had a 4th guest too, which would be another good writer or someone of the likes.

Bring them back!