Gazzetta Football Italia

What a show! It began in 1992 and ran until 2002 (after that didn't count).

The theme tune was iconic. The presenter, James Richardson, was brilliant. He could have been making up absolute bollocks when he was reading the Italian papers but him sitting in a cafe with a coffee with those papers was Saturday morning. He wasn't one for cliches either which was a huge plus. Indeed the show was on a Saturday morning, with a live game shown each Sunday.

The best thing though was the players. So many absolute legends were kicking around and Serie A was THE league. Zidane, Baggio, Batistuta, Maldini, Ronaldo, Weah, Signori, Figo, Chiesa, Salas, Recoba, Crespo, Veron, Boban, Zola, Rui Costa, Nedves, Zanetti, Costacurta, Desailly, Zamorano, Zola, Cannavaro, Vialli, Nesta, Buffon, Thuram, Del Piero, Rabanelli, Sousa, Tacchanardi, Deschamps, Conte, Albertini, Simeone, Bierhoff, Djorkaeff, Taffarel, Roberto Carlos, Davids, Savicevic, Montero, Vieri, Donadoni and loads more.

A thread for the memories, the players, the teams and games of Gazzetta Football Italia.

DJtGBUGXgAIYEwz.jpg.1adb742f82667d87a25c3594c5090c3f.jpgJames-Richardson.png.3a1f3febaef843f4edd59a4c4d93087a.png

Roberto baggio Tommy tomato gooooooaaall laaaaziiio

No idea what the lyrics were but I loved everything about it, I recently watched an entire Milan derby on YouTube. Definitely the best league in the world and it was fantastic to watch. The Saturday morning preview was good also.

Wilkins and Brackley best commentator team ever.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Roberto baggio Tommy tomato gooooooaaall laaaaziiio

No idea what the lyrics were but I loved everything about it, I recently watched an entire Milan derby on YouTube. Definitely the best league in the world and it was fantastic to watch. The Saturday morning preview was good also.

Wilkins and Brackley best commentator team ever.

We all thought it was 'GOAL LAZIO!' at the end of the theme tune!

It definitely was the best and most entertaining league in the world at the time.

Here's 14.30 of a 1995 episode;

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Bought this top last week also. For me the late 80s to mid 90s ac team is the best of all time. Brian Laudrup couldn’t get a game ffs.

https://www.scoredraw.com/european-leagues/ac-milan/606_AC-Milan-1988-Retro-Football-Shirt.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0YOjtoGw4gIVyYTVCh1iXAxeEAQYBSABEgJKhvD_BwE

The strips were absolute class!

PA-2795.thumb.jpg.52177d292a8290ceed85c932c6832132.jpgDW-AaevWkAI2cME.thumb.jpg.784c303b4a457c8b3846fc6281d3daef.jpg4AAB85B800000578-5557787-image-a-35_1522334201747.jpg.94b8ef908da6eb9d912a5e1091033fd4.jpgparma-99-home-3-2-1.jpg.07b4ac5dc89dbd3354fefd0bf3edf675.jpgrome_derby_helmets.jpg.7c1b0bfc8b43628e15d4014bea56b4e3.jpg

Me and my brother used to buy one edition of the Football Italia magazine, in August, to read the season previews and the pages of transfers that had taken place (in Italy at that time there were a ridiculous number of minor deals taking place every summer). Then sit back and watch on Saturdays and Sundays. What a time it was.

The kits, stadia, players. Absolutely iconic stuff, and still the reason why I'd choose a Serie A game over most others on TV.

Mental now to think that we got top games featuring many of the best players in the world for free every week. The Milan derby for example was shown in full on Sunday afternoon on C4! You'd be paying a decent fee these days to see that many games on TV.

Anyway, found this full(er) episode;

12 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

https://audioboom.com/channel/golazzo--the-totally-italian-football-sho

Might be of interest. Jimbo, James Horncastle and Gab Marcotti explore historic Serie A teams and players and also talk about the current season. The deep dives into the history of Serie A are fascinating.

its a good podcast though I fell marcotti loves the sound of his own voice a bit much

Hugely influential programme and the live game was quite often the only free to air football so a lot of people my age grew up preferring Italian football. Got a load of the vhs compilations in storage as I couldn’t bare to part with them despite no longer having a player. The full theme on YouTube is worth a listen, reminds me a bit of the limmys show music.  Visited san siro, delle alpi (rip), the olimpico and luigi ferraris probably as a result of this programme.

The BT Sport documentary on it last year was fantastic and then they had a one off programme for a game the following day if I remember right?

The bit that sticks in my mind was they inquired about just getting the Lazio games as Gazza had just signed, but were told they needed to take the whole league season rights, for about £400k :lol:.  That would buy you about 2 minutes of a game now probably.

£400k for the whole season :lol:

That's mental when you consider the crazy level of talent! Companies are paying billions for the English Premiership and it's got nowhere near the level of great players Serie A had in the 90s! It's nowhere near as good either!

Edited by DA Baracus

Didn't channel 5 try to bring back something similar? It had the stout American/Italian journalist as the host, maybe that's why it flopped.

Guest Moomintroll

One of my favourite games of all time was Milan beating Foggia 8-2. That second half was absolutely mesmerising.