Bo'ness United 2019-2020

Very disappointing. One of those days where things just seem to go against you, but we were our own worst enemies today, losing the heids at times where we were still very much in the game against modest opposition. Hunter, with all his experience, was, I'm afraid, daft as many proverbial brushes to get sent off, and that was probably the decisive moment.

The most disappointing performance of the Max era, but hopefully they can sit down, talk over where it went wrong, and be ready to go again next week (or in a fortnight, depending...)

Looking at the positives today - we created lots of chances when playing 9 v 11 and the players put in a huge amount of effort.

A sloppy bit of defending, a cracking strike and a mis-hit cross that caught the wind and sailed over the keeper got the Mussy their goals.

The headbutt from Hunter was beyond stupid. No complaint about that red. But the Donnelly red was a poor decision as it was just two players going in strongly for a 50/50 with Donnelly winning the contest. To compound matters the referee chose to ignore the Musselburgh players retaliatory stamp on Donnelly which IMO deserved a straight red.

Bottom line is it just wasn't our day today and we're out the cup.

Tactics didn’t work today. The lack of width was telling and nothing was done about it quickly enough. If we’re going to play with a diamond midfield then Syme & Ryan needed to be getting up and down the sides far more than they did. We were 2-0 and a man down before any efforts were made to go wide. Far too one dimensional. Also disappointing that despite effectively having four centre midfielders, their second goal came from a pass and run straight through the midfield. You could see what was coming a mile off. Take nothing away from the Mussy boy though, what a hit.

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Looking at the positives today - we created lots of chances when playing 9 v 11 and the players put in a huge amount of effort.

A sloppy bit of defending, a cracking strike and a mis-hit cross that caught the wind and sailed over the keeper got the Mussy their goals.

The headbutt from Hunter was beyond stupid. No complaint about that red. But the Donnelly red was a poor decision as it was just two players going in strongly for a 50/50 with Donnelly winning the contest. To compound matters the referee chose to ignore the Musselburgh players retaliatory stamp on Donnelly which IMO deserved a straight red.

Bottom line is it just wasn't our day today and we're out the cup.

Not giving you that! The third goal was no miss hit! Ten minutes before, the same guy hit the same cross / shot which flew over your goal keeper but came off the post. At that time, I thought it looked more like a cross. However, roll on the 10 minutes and Jordan does the exact same thing. Again flies over your goalie, who obviously learnt nothing from the first time. Showed to me, it was no mis-hit cross.

Second sending off. My first reaction was red card and I don’t think it was a 50/50 challenge! I do agree with you the the Burgh player was fortunate to stay on! No doubt he should have walked too. Not sure if you were the guy in the middle of the enclosure arguing with the Burgh supporter? Two of your elderly supporters behind me were moaning too about that, but soon shut up when I agreed with them about the non-Burgh sending off.

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Jamboness had the stovies today. Looked truly revolting. Dog vomit looks more appealing and I'm sure he will suffer for it later.
#Pray4Jamboness

On a lighter note - I am sure Jamboness will be fine! Never had the stories myself but each week you can see supporters coming back with the wee white box, so the taste must be better than the look! 

28 minutes ago, boheesian said:

As is Penicuik and Newtown for you lot. Anyway how many of you will come through for the league match? Well done you got win you just deserved.

Dunno, I'll be through though.

3 hours ago, RobM said:

Olivebank's a graveyard for you boys.

Before today, we had played a total of  34 matches at Olivebank in all competitions..

We had won17, drew 11 and lost only 6.

You have a strange idea of what constitutes a graveyard......

2 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Before today, we had played a total of  34 matches at Olivebank in all competitions..

We had won17, drew 11 and lost only 6.

You have a strange idea of what constitutes a graveyard......

When I saw that comment, I went ouch - especially as Bo’ness run a page purely on Bo’ness history!

But if RobM is who I think he is, he is only 9,  so doesn’t have a huge memory bank. His thoughts probably only go back three years?! If that be the case,he is technically right as we are on a two match winning street - going for a hat-trick later on this season.

4 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

When I saw that comment, I went ouch - especially as Bo’ness run a page purely on Bo’ness history!

But if RobM is who I think he is, he is only 9,  so doesn’t have a huge memory bank. His thoughts probably only go back three years?! If that be the case,he is technically right as we are on a two match winning street - going for a hat-trick later on this season.

Okay, if he's a wee lad, he's still not up to speed.  Yes, we lost in 2016 but the previous 'burgh win was in 2007.  A total of nine games unbeaten after that.

31 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Okay, if he's a wee lad, he's still not up to speed.  Yes, we lost in 2016 but the previous 'burgh win was in 2007.  A total of nine games unbeaten after that.

Cheers J and glad to see the dodgy stories doesnt appear to have any lasting after effects!

6 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Cheers J and glad to see the dodgy stories doesnt appear to have any lasting after effects!

HaHa, those stovies did not look so great and to be honest I wont be getting them when we return on League business 😃

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Not giving you that! The third goal was no miss hit! Ten minutes before, the same guy hit the same cross / shot which flew over your goal keeper but came off the post. At that time, I thought it looked more like a cross. However, roll on the 10 minutes and Jordan does the exact same thing. Again flies over your goalie, who obviously learnt nothing from the first time. Showed to me, it was no mis-hit cross.

Second sending off. My first reaction was red card and I don’t think it was a 50/50 challenge! I do agree with you the the Burgh player was fortunate to stay on! No doubt he should have walked too. Not sure if you were the guy in the middle of the enclosure arguing with the Burgh supporter? Two of your elderly supporters behind me were moaning too about that, but soon shut up when I agreed with them about the non-Burgh sending off.

I watched the goals again on Twitter and I'm not changing my view.     If Jordan Orru you're no 3 could pull that shot off on demand with that crosswind he would be playing for Manchester City not Musselburgh !!        As for the BU goalie not learning from the earlier strike I would confidently say there's not a goalie on the planet stopping that 3rd goal unless he is 9'6" with the reflexes of a cat.

I was in the middle of  the enclosure but I wasn't arguing with the Burgh supporter.    You thought it was a red and I didn't ……….Fitbaw supporters rarely agree on anything but that's OK.

Enjoy your victory beers,