Bo'ness United 2019-2020

25 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Having watched all three I think they will struggle to finish in the top 6, this year.  

Never read too much into friendlies. Holidays get in the road and maybe that’s why Max pulled out the Dunipace tournament and with players now available fixed up the  ‘Big Rose’ game. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, boheesian said:

Never read too much into friendlies. Holidays get in the road and maybe that’s why Max pulled out the Dunipace tournament and with players now available fixed up the  ‘Big Rose’ game. Only time will tell.

Agree with all you have said and preseason has been disrupted badly by holidays etc.

However I don’t think the attitude has been there this season so far.  Last year they got on a roll in preseason which continued almost throughout the season.

Definitely a confidence team and there will be very few games in this league where you will win with a bad performance.  

I know it’s very early but I think the first game of the season could define the whole league campaign for Broxburn.

Bonnyrigg Rose 0 Bo'ness United 0 but yes it was a good game.   Bonnyrigg tonight looked a better, fitter, stronger team than the BU's but I feel reasonably confident about our chances this season.  In short it was a worthwhile exercise tonight but we missed Brian Morgan.

One Bonnyrigg player red carded for a double yellow . The referee forgot he had booked the same player earlier but thankfully the linesman kept him right.  To be honest with the number of fouls in the game there were a number of players on both sides who would probably could been red carded had this been a proper game.  Referee let both sides away with an awful lot as it was a friendly and Ian Nimmo for the BU's and Kieran McGachie for Bonnyrigg both committed more than enough fouls to have had an early bath.    I don't think McGachie received even a yellow card despite committing about 20 fouls in the game.   It was never a dirty game but there was a fair bit of niggle in different parts of the park.

Over the 90 minutes Bonnyrigg had the majority of the better chances but couldn't beat our superb goalie Andy Murphy who had a great display between the sticks. Easily the MOTM for the BU's.  

BU's went 4-4-2 for the first 35 minutes with Back 4 of Snowdon, Sime, Hunter and Hewitt, a narrow midfield diamond 4 of Gemmell, Nimmo, Jacobs and Grant with Keast and Donnelly the front 2.   It wasn't pretty and it wasn't really effective particularly in midfield.       Bonnyrigg could and probably should have been well up in the first half hour.   It was no surprise when Max switched Snowdon into the centre of a back 3 and Jacobs and Sime played as attacking fullbacks.   We looked a bit more effective matching our 3 centrehalfs against the 2 Rose strikers especially in the 2nd half when Hewitt was replaced by the speedier Campbell.      I was encouraged by the performance of Mark McKenzie in the 2nd half.  It was only 45 minutes but he made some potentially damaging runs into the channels and corners.    

I think Max will need to get his first 11 and formation sorted out, stick to it and let the players work it out.

Bo'nusball was telling me he and a few other fans struggled to identify Jack Simpson in a recent game.   Having seen Jack tonight I can fully understand why he struggled. Without the sideshow bob hairstyle and having put on a fair amount of muscle he looks a different person.