The AEW Thread

TheGoon

11 hours ago, TheGoon said:

They’re going down the New Day winning Kofi his title shot route (I think) with Hangman and the Dark Order and that’s great. 

He's so ridiculously over and has been for a long time.

Even taking out the ex WWE guys, AEW are surely looking towards building the company around guys like Page, MJF and Darby Allin who are over as f**k and all have at least 12-15 years still in the tank.

The thing about AEW as well that is going set it apart in the months ahead is just how into it the fans are compared with WWE. 

A 5/10 wrestling show can easily be pumped up to a 7 or an 8 with a hot crowd and I think last night, whilst it was a good show, the fan reactions to things really made AEW seem like a big deal again at a time when many were wondering if they'd lost all momentum on that front through the pandemic and empty arenas.

A guy on one of the podcasts I listen to was at the Miami show last week, and once Dynamite went off the air they were taping the last hour of Elevation. People got up to leave, but apparently they announced Darby was in the main event and apparently nearly everyone sat back down again. He is huge, MJF is, Jungle Boy isn’t far off and there’s a bunch of guys they can put right to the top without too much work. 

11 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

A guy on one of the podcasts I listen to was at the Miami show last week, and once Dynamite went off the air they were taping the last hour of Elevation. People got up to leave, but apparently they announced Darby was in the main event and apparently nearly everyone sat back down again. He is huge, MJF is, Jungle Boy isn’t far off and there’s a bunch of guys they can put right to the top without too much work. 

There's just an intangible there with Darby. I mean you get the Sting and Jeff Hardy comparisons but in reality he's nothing like either outwith their own particular uniqueness. 

On paper he's a skinny wee blonde guy who paints his nails black, wears skull make-up , skateboards and jumps off shit. You'd read that and think he's just an early 2000s throwback - a wee emo edgelord type but there's something there that although he's f**k all like most people, is someone fans can naturally get behind and find relatable and fresh.

It's also good to see them finally taking Miro seriously. They so very nearly FUBARed him but they caught him just in the nick of time and put as much distance between him and the first 6 months as possible and as quickly as possible.

Watched last week (or this week's) show. Impressed by some of the stuff, mortified by some others. Thought Jericho dealt with the invader remarkably well. You could tell he was fucking raging and half-arsing the promo afterwards, but I think that helped his character in that moment and MJF is really good on the mic. Cody is always a great watch and thought his match was superb. Thought Hangman Page was superb in his square off against Kenny Omega. Thought Omega has regressed really badly in terms of look and mic work. My missus walked in and started laughing at what she perceived to be bad acting. I found it hard to disagree.

For as much as JR gets slagged and I posted a page or so back that he was apparently receiving death threats from AEW fans for his f**k up and saying WWE Dynamite, but I think a past-it JR, Tony Schiavone & Excalibur (who I'm not huge on) are night and day to the WWE offerings on any show. Justin Roberts is also by a considerable distance the best ring announcer around right now and I was really impressed with him.

The bad though... that main event. Fucking hell. Just stupidity. The Young Bucks are far too heavily choreographed to be an enjoyable team. It's more like a dance routine than a fight. As for the John Wayne Gacy version of Rey Mysterio... Also, when they pretty much somersault through a table, they shouldn't be getting up 30 seconds later. The art of selling was nowhere to be seen in that finale.

Not every wrestler with a mask needs to be compared to Rey Mysterio and it’s weird that they are. 

On last night, it was his hometown, but that crowd loved Ricky Starks, could still see it being the case elsewhere too. Having Brian Cage as the face in the feud is a bit weird. 

5 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Not every wrestler with a mask needs to be compared to Rey Mysterio and it’s weird that they are. 

On last night, it was his hometown, but that crowd loved Ricky Starks, could still see it being the case elsewhere too. Having Brian Cage as the face in the feud is a bit weird. 

I don't think it's 'weird' to compare a guy that looks like this to Rey Mysterio:

Pentagon Jr. News, Bio And More - Wrestling Inc.

Even had similar designs at one point:

WWE & Mattel To Have Panel At SDCC, Rey Mysterio To Appear During Lucha  Libre Panel - eWrestlingNews.com

What a 'weird' comment to make.

Edited by Ludo*1

Just now, AFCDannyFTH said:

Can't believe they're putting this c**t on TV. 

He’s one of the most over wrestlers not signed to anyone, and he’s already tied in with Mox. 

1 minute ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Not signed to anyone for a reason, he's a fucking reckless idiot. 

I’m not saying sign the guy, but for a few one offs you genuinely can’t bring in a more legitimate guy. Jericho will know what he’s doing, I hope.